2016 Movie Recommendations

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I am always on the lookout for good movies I haven't seen. They don't have to be blockbusters or Oscar winners. Just something good that I may have missed. Right now, I am looking back at 2016. Here are the movies I liked from 2016. If you can think of any movies from 2016 that you liked that aren't on this list, please post them and I'll give them a shot!

My top 3 films for 2016 would be:

• Arrival
  • The Founder
  • The Nice Guys

The rest are:

• 10 Cloverfield Lane
  • Batman v Superman (ok... maybe not GOOD, but it was... something)
  • Batman: The Killing Joke
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Cell (a lot of people didn't like it, but I thought it was ok)
  • Deadpool
  • London Has Fallen
  • The Shallows
  • Split
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

I'd eventually like to work my way back to 1980 or so with these lists, but since I can acquire/watch only so many movies at a time, I feel like it is better to work with just one year at a time.
@Vivek, @Montagar, I am looking at you!

@Art Andrews... "Batman: The Killing Joke" would have been on my list of recommendations. :lol

I will have to start putting together a year by year list.

Not sure if you'll find them good enough, but these are some of the other 2016 movies that I liked.

Green Room (Though I recommend watching Blue Ruin (2013) first as it's from the same director)
Everybody Wants Some
Sing Street
The Lobster
Hunt for the Wilderpeople

BTW The Founder and Split are 2017 movies as they were officially released in US in January 2017.

Cool, hopefully you will dig some of them, if not all.

Yeah Green Room is unconventional, but I loved the build up and tension. Though I think some may not dig the brutality.

Cool, hopefully you will dig some of them, if not all.

Yeah Green Room is unconventional, but I loved the build up and tension. Though I think some may not dig the brutality.

Yeah... I am not much on gory stuff and while this wasn't exactly a gorefest, it just... I don't know exactly... it seemed to just be a movie about trashy/dark people and that is something else I don't usually care for. It was a pretty well done film and the roles were played well, just not my thing.

I didn't really like Arrival. It wasn't bad, but my problem with it is that any aliens that came here would probably know how to communicate with us before they got here. There's plenty of tv going out into space for them to learn our language.

I didn't really like Arrival. It wasn't bad, but my problem with it is that any aliens that came here would probably know how to communicate with us before they got here. There's plenty of tv going out into space for them to learn our language.

Interesting point, but consider this; think of how many different languages there are on all those media waves beaming out to space. I'm wondering how would an alien race, a race that has no concept of any of the multiple languages we have, be able to differentiate between them? Wouldn't they have to be able to decipher every single one of them in order to separate them-- in order to understand even one them?

I know that is kind of a tangent and maybe has nothing to do with The Arrival (I've never seen it) but your statement got me to thinking....Why do all these alien races only speak one certain language? Why do Klingons all speak the same language? All Earthlings don't speak the same language.

You always see these movies where two people of different languages get stuck together and they have to learn each others language--okay I get that. Imagine if you were someone who only knew English and you had never even heard any other language, not at all, ever. So, you get stranded on an island with someone who speaks Spanish, another person who speaks German, another who speaks Swedish, another speaks French, and on and on....How in the world would you ever be able to understand anyone? Like I said, you had NEVER heard any of these other languages. First, you've got to figure out that these people are indeed speaking not only in a language different from your own, but different from each other.......Maybe it would be easy enough to separate them just by the enunciations (as they all sound pretty different), but still---what a mindf### that would be!

Now, imagine an alien race monitoring Earth's media waves. How would they figure all that out?....Hurry up and get us that Universal Translator!!:lol:wacko:confused

Last edited:
The Witch
Hell or High Water
Moonlight
Manchester by the Sea
Midnight Special
Hush
Neon Demon
Silence
The Founder
A Monster Calls

One movie I didn't really care to see, mainly because I knew nothing about it or the character was, Doctor Strange. But my fiance wanted me to see it, at home, so I did and I quite enjoyed it actually. Very nice visual effects.

Everybody Wants Some
Sing Street
The Lobster
Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Watched these four over the weekend.

Couldn't even get started on Everybody Wants Some

The Lobster had an interesting premise but ultimately got bogged down and went nowhere.

Sign Street and Hunt for the Wilderpeople are exctly the kind of movies I started this thread for! These were two super enjoyable movies I would have never tried had it not been for Vivek's suggestion! Thanks, bud.

Last edited:
One movie I didn't really care to see, mainly because I knew nothing about it or the character was, Doctor Strange. But my fiance wanted me to see it, at home, so I did and I quite enjoyed it actually. Very nice visual effects.

I felt the same. Wasn't really excited for it, but it turned out pretty good.

And how could I forget Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping!!! I generally hate movies like this, but for whatever reason, this one just NAILS it for me. VERY VERY funny.

Just remembered that I have seen this one. VERY clever and pretty well done premise for a low-budget "horror." I liked it. Didn't love it.

Don't worry, many people I've spoken to felt similarly. I felt the same. It's clever and fairly well done but falls short on many technical aspects. The biggest for me was the cinematography. For a film, literally, as dark as it is, light becomes even more important and many sequences are almost in complete darkness and just not cleverly used.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back