Shep

I love the look of this revolver. So it's time to make a physical one.

This is my second project, I am drawing it in Fusion 360 this stage should be finished in a week or 2. Then it will be 3d printer in abs, I can see a lot of sanding ahead (I don't like to see any print lines) then I need to get the paint right.

I'm looking forward to this, I want to take my time with the design, this won't be 100% movie accurate, but I want to get close.

My first mistake was to find the 'concept art' following a Google Search, so I was drawing an 8 shot revolver, then I found the pictures of the actual prop and realised it was a 6 shot. Thanks internet, only wasted a few hours but the first pics highlight this.

IMG_20170910_202920.jpg

Nice project. Interested to see the building process.

Always wondered why there has never been a proper run of these. That gun looks so cool.

looking good :)
- interested to know how much tolerance you have allowed for the printer process and shrinkage of ABS within the design, or will it be a solid piece?

I agree, l wonder if it's a lack of source material? I have struggled to find enough to make me comfortable to draw this, the logo took 2 days to pull together and I'm also concerned about printing it. I will start the test prints at the weekend.

IMAG1306.jpg

It will be comprised of single pieces, with a built in tolerance of 0.2mm. I print ABS in an enclosure which helps with shrinkage. Check my thread for the mass effect hornet, this had virtually no tolerance between parts, a bit of sanding helped (but in a few cases forced me to restart). I should spend more time on tolerance, but I'll judge that after my rest prints come out.

Attachments

• IMAG1306.jpg
    IMAG1306.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 72
I've spent a lot of time looking at the internal space in this one, it seems silly to waste it, so Amazon took some cash and they are sending a cap gun, I'm going to see if I can get the trigger to rotate the cylinder, I'm 7/10 confident that I can get it to work.

IMAG1315.jpg

The 3d drawing is getting close and I have started printing the finished parts. My accessory rails are too thin so I'll go back and widen them. Still waiting on my toy revolver to work out the internals.

IMG_20170916_182006_960.jpgIMAG1318.jpg

The test prints have started, I'm happy with the size. The logo is going to be murder, I can get the main outline, but the detail isn't there, I'm going to try a 0.2mm nozzle for the two parts with logos, I'll leave them till last. My toy revolver arrived, so i'll get to it with a dremel and start designing the insides soon.

I'm going to use the barrel and scope side in this picture, the other parts were just to test size and accuracy.

IMAG1320.jpg

The wasp was built around a Ruger GP100 so if you could get the dimensions for that it would help you scale everything else correctly. I wanted to do this a few years back but it never happened unfortunately. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out.

Looking forward for finish project! What 3d printer you use? Also you will sand down everything using bondo and filler primer or smooth out surface with acetone since you print in abs.

Looking forward for finish project! What 3d printer you use? Also you will sand down everything using bondo and filler primer or smooth out surface with acetone since you print in abs.

I have 2 printers, a Dremel 3d20 which is outstanding for detail, but only prints PLA. For ABS, PETG etc I have an I3 clone, based on the Prusa MK2s. It is a good printer - not as good as the original - Image below.

IMAG1330.jpg

I use wood filler for big gaps, takes longer than bondo to dry, but is a ton easier to sand, for small areas baby powder and superglue. I don't like the idea of Acetone smoothing, the fire hazard first and the fact that smoothing looks to lose detail (never tried it, just what I've seen in images)

That's true you can lose details with acetone, filler primer is also good way for last step of finishing

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back