Jack Sparrow Compass Options

I actually love all the little changes in props. It's fascinating, to me, to see how the prop builders for each film interpret a piece.

I actually love all the little changes in props. It's fascinating, to me, to see how the prop builders for each film interpret a piece.
They should not "interpret" a prop each movie... This is called "continuity errors"! If Jack sparrow has a certain compass in the first movie and he also uses it in the other movies, then it should be THE SAME compass! (Or they should explain in the movie how the compass changed looks). That's why I try to go for the prop versions of "first movies" when there are different versions throughout series.

They should not "interpret" a prop each movie... This is called "continuity errors"! If Jack sparrow has a certain compass in the first movie and he also uses it in the other movies, then it should be THE SAME compass! (Or they should explain in the movie how the compass changed looks). That's why I try to go for the prop versions of "first movies" when there are different versions throughout series.

Also there is a discrepancy on how he got the compass. From Deadman's chest and the new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keep in mind that likely 99% of the people who see the movie will never notice the subtle details on props, so this is why the production companies are likely not all that concerned that every prop matches 100% from scene to scene. not saying that it doesn't irritate me a bit, but that's because i'm the that 1% like you guys & gals who study the details with a microscope. ;)

Quite often, the original props are simply unavailable. They get lost, sold, or destroyed and have to be recreated. I see no issue with a new prop being tweaked to make it read better on screen or to add more detail for close ups. On screen, most, if not all, of these changes go completely unnoticed. It causes no continuity issues. We're just a particularly observant bunch, so, we notice these things. I, personally, love having all the different versions.

As for how he got the compass, we saw that, clear as day, in the new film. Tia Dalma never said that she was the originator of the compass, just that Jack had to barter with her for it. It obviously came into her possession at some point and Jack had to make a deal to get it back. Just sounds like an untild story to me, not a break in continuity.

I had read somewhere that the reason the compass was modified slightly from movie #1 to #2 is that in 2nd movie, there was more focus on knowing where the compass was pointing, and that first movie compass had the dial more obscured by the larger diameter gold bezel (or whatever you call the metal thing on top of dial) so they made the metal part smaller so you could more easily see where the pointer on dial was pointing -- the design of the dial was also simplified to make it easier to see this. I would have to watch first movie again, but not sure the "points to what you desire most" had been established in first movie...but if so, the prop makers would not have had to consider this when designing first prop.

Watching dead mans chest now and the MR compass is not a true replica of it. The arms on the dial are tapered and a lot thinner on the one in the scene where jack says "why is the rum always gone" just before he speaks bootstrap

Jus received a kit from mr Pinsky. Have to open it and let you ladies and gents know.

The other kit that I spoke of is still in the works and will be released sooon

Jus received a kit from mr Pinsky. Have to open it and let you ladies and gents know.

The other kit that I spoke of is still in the works and will be released sooon

ok, thanks for the update. i may be able to get my hands on one (finished -- looks really nice), but they are about $300...and before I spend that kind of money, I wanted to see what the new kit looks like. look forward to your review of the Pinsky kit.

sorry for the confusion - $300 for a wooden replica made by someone else -- it is already built...with brass dial. The Pinsky kit is $40 standard, $60 deluxe.

Pinsky kit is awesome !
7b8caaff88491aa4246a546ce7d4c80f.jpg

Looks good...but i imagine it may be tricky getting inlay into the circular area on top...let me know how that goes for you and if you use wood or plastic.

I think this kit can be made even more screen accurate if you putty over the back hinge so it looks like the body of the compass and not a big rectangle of brass metal. You can also make the part the brass ring connects to more accurate with various pieces from a hardware store...if you are looking to match screen-used.

The only thing that is not 100% accurate with this kit is that on the actual prop, the white inlay does not show on the inside of the inner lid -- but the way this kit is designed, the inlay will show around the perimeter of the lid. I imagine you can paint it same color as the body (just on the inside of the lid) so it does not stand out so much.

Other than that, and adding a piece of leather to the inside lid, the kit looks pretty damn nice. I was thinking about getting one myself, but I want to see how you do with the inlay...and also wanted to wait and see what this other NEW KIT you mentioned looks like.

Looks good...but i imagine it may be tricky getting inlay into the circular area on top...let me know how that goes for you and if you use wood or plastic.

I think this kit can be made even more screen accurate if you putty over the back hinge so it looks like the body of the compass and not a big rectangle of brass metal. You can also make the part the brass ring connects to more accurate with various pieces from a hardware store...if you are looking to match screen-used.

The only thing that is not 100% accurate with this kit is that on the actual prop, the white inlay does not show on the inside of the inner lid -- but the way this kit is designed, the inlay will show around the perimeter of the lid. I imagine you can paint it same color as the body (just on the inside of the lid) so it does not stand out so much.

Other than that, and adding a piece of leather to the inside lid, the kit looks pretty damn nice. I was thinking about getting one myself, but I want to see how you do with the inlay...and also wanted to wait and see what this other NEW KIT you mentioned looks like.

Thanks for the post Doc!
I was planning on making it as close to SA as I could. I was gonna use styrene strips and also cover the hinge back
I will keep ya updated when I'm able to start working on it

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back