Need some Dremel recommendations

Raza Crew

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I had a basic dremel years ago that burned up. I recently got a large store credit at Lowes and went to the Dremel aisle and was overwhelmed by the options.

Anybody got recommendations for certain models or warnings to stay away from others?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the cordless 7300. It works fine for what I do and cordless is nice. The only time I have trouble with battery life is when I forget to put the battery in the charger when I'm done for the day.

One caveat. I thought about getting a Dremel Workstation so I won't have to go to the MakerSpace every time I need to drill a straight up and down hole.

080596022624.jpg

Dremel says the 7300 isn't compatible with the Workstation. I suspect it would work fine. They just might not want people using cordless in the $50 add-on and complaining about performance.

Does it need to be a Dremel brand? I'm not convinced that Dremel is necessarily better than most other brands of rotary tool. I have an 8050 and a 3000. They're both decent but the 3000 has just committed suicide for no apparent reason, so I'm back to a no-name version which is about as good.

I have a model with just a high and speed. It's good for most tasks. I also have a Stylus that is great for detail work. The Stylus has no add on compatibility though. I also have a cordless Harbor Freight special from many moons ago that despite their reputation still holds up pretty well. I would recommend you get one with a variable speed beyond high/low and unless you need it, avoid the bit kits that may be thrown in for more money. If there are attachments (pencil, workstation, etc) you want/need/have make sure it's compatible. I feel like in some ways Dremel was supposed to be a multi-tool that now makes multiple tools.

Whatever you get for base unit, get a flex-shaft. You get so much better control.

The bits I use the most are from a cheap kit of metal routing bits. Followed by the sanding drum.

Ive collected more burnt and busted Dremel brand rotary tools than you would believe. I would never purchase any rotary tool under the Dremel brand name. The irony here is in the 90's I was looking for a cheap, bare, no frills rotary tool for a quick job on location. I went to Target and picked up a Tim the Toolman rotary tool for about $15. Its still going strong and is my go to rotary tool.
w21v2b.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back