DG-2 Wunder Waffe

amiller4235

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I want to start my first project with one of my favorite weapons from my favorite game. Im probably gonna be asking several questions and hopefully I'll get a response to them. While I go through the process of making this I would love feed back and any help and your opinions. Also could anybody tell me a wooden material that is.....
1. Cheap
2. Easy to work with
3. Easy to sand
4. Easy to paint and weather
5. Easy to acquire

MDF seems to be a popular choice fitting most of your criteria. I'm sure pine would work as well, painting would be a hurdle with the grain. My only issue with MDF is the smell when cutting it. I'm sure someone will pop in that is more familiar working with wood. Foam seems to be a popular choice for props as well. It's cheap and easy to paint. You may want to experiment with that as well. I have been using acrylic and ABS as of late. I like plastic myself. Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Gixxerfool - MDF is the way to go. You can cut and route very crisp edges and fine details in it easily. It sands smoothly, it's cheap, and it's readily available. Just make sure you seal it well with a non-permeable coat before painting, because it will soak up an AWFUL amount of paint otherwise.

Not sure about the smell - I haven't really noticed/been bothered by it, and I use MDF all the time. Maybe I'm just olfactorily challenged :)

I agree with Gixxerfool - MDF is the way to go. You can cut and route very crisp edges and fine details in it easily. It sands smoothly, it's cheap, and it's readily available. Just make sure you seal it well with a non-permeable coat before painting, because it will soak up an AWFUL amount of paint otherwise.

Not sure about the smell - I haven't really noticed/been bothered by it, and I use MDF all the time. Maybe I'm just olfactorily challenged :)

in the past I never noticed a smell, on my current project I've been working with plastic that does smell. I cut some MDF and noticed it smoking a little but the stench was pretty harsh. I asked a friend about it, since it's been years since I've used it, he said the glue is the culprit. It heats quick and smells something fierce. It lingers too. It took a good while for me not to smell it.

"... I cut some MDF and noticed it smoking a little but the stench was pretty harsh..."
Ah, well, there's the rub - I haven't made it smoke too much when cutting it. Generally I just slice through it with a table saw, then cut up the fine bits with a bandsaw and do other details with a small, high-speed router.

Ah, well, there's the rub - I haven't made it smoke too much when cutting it. Generally I just slice through it with a table saw, then cut up the fine bits with a bandsaw and do other details with a small, high-speed router.

That may be why I never noticed it either. I was using a circle cutter on it. It's a slow process to cut through.

Solved that mystery.

Thank you all for you inputs you have no idea how helpful it is. I hope to get this project starting soon. Ive been away from my home for awhile. Hopefully in a couple days ill have the ball rolling.

There's also Balsa wood, but it might be a little expensive if you need to build something big.

I have used Pine though, so I can agree with that suggestion.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back