Model Kits with micro grain surface texture?

DanielB

Sr Member
Back when I built the old AMT Star Trek kits, most of the time the plastic was so smooth you could see a pretty good reflection in it. I've noticed some starship models from R2 and Revell have some micro grainy surfaces. I didn't think this would be a problem, but I lay down my coats so thin that I can see the grain through the primer! On something like a 1:1000 starship, this just can't be. The surface must be 100% perfectly smooth. Any tips on how to polish the plastic to get a nice smooth surface? Any primers that will fill in this micro texture without sacrificing kit details? Why are kit manufacturers using this type of plastic instead of the glossy smooth kind? You can see the micro graininess I'm talking about here...

hsGdW7I.png

u72GfBm.png

hsGdW7I.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they're using a new kind of mold-release agent.
In the old days they used a kind of oil, hence why we got in the habit of cleaning our parts with dishwashing liquid.
Maybe they use some kind of silicone agent now, that somehow textures the plastic.
Just guessing - I really have no idea.

As for eliminating the texture, I don't think there's any way to sand that. Not efficiently, anyway.
What if you coated it with Future before painting? Think that might smooth it out?

Last edited:
I suspect that's not the plastic but rather the mold. It's probably been sandblasted as part of the finishing process. This is also commonly done to older steel molds when they rust. It results in softening of detail that used to be crisp and sharp. This is why older pressings of model kits tend to have sharper detail than newer "re-pops."

I suspect that's not the plastic but rather the mold. It's probably been sandblasted as part of the finishing process. This is also commonly done to older steel molds when they rust. It results in softening of detail that used to be crisp and sharp. This is why older pressings of model kits tend to have sharper detail than newer "re-pops."
Except this appears to one of the new TFA kits which should be a pretty fresh mold.
Weird thing is that the Sprue is glossy, it looks like that special micro-texture was intentional.

Maybe they used a 3d printed piece to cast the mold. I would just use a very fine sand paper on the surface. Or use a thicker primer first like Mr. Surfacer 500 and then lightly sand it.

Unfortunately anything you do to smooth out the textured plastic will have some effect on the detail. I would use a good primer with scratch filling properties to try and reduce that texture. I don't have any recommendations of products, but perhaps others will chime in.

TazMan2000

Try using a Dremel with a Nylon bristle wheel.
If that doesn't do the job, switch to a Steel bristle wheel.... I suggest trying this on a piece that you don't mind destroying.
I used a steel bristle wheel to strip the rubber coating off my computer mouse. I thought it would destroy the mouse, but it actually did practically nothing to hard plastic. The rubber stripped easily. Wear a face mask though. Gets very messy with powder bits everywhere.

I've never tried it on a model kit before. The plastic may be too soft though. Could be a disaster... Try the Nylon bristle wheel first.

It was likely done on purpose to get a Matte effect on unpainted plastic for children just building the things straight from the box... at least on the Kylo Ren Shuttle. When PL did it on the 1/350 E I thin it was just to **** us off... I've not see it on their other kits - although I admit I don't have all of them.

I removed it on the PL E with light sanding and several light coats of primer. but that was a essentially flat surface... on the detailed surface of the shuttle - Not sure - sorry that's not helpful...

Jedi Dade

I have seen this done selectively- some parts on a military or auto kit getting this 'special' finish...

I will be watching this thread (and the others started on the different forums) to learn more and find out if there is a way around this issue...

Best of luck!

I have seen this done selectively- some parts on a military or auto kit getting this 'special' finish...

I will be watching this thread (and the others started on the different forums) to learn more and find out if there is a way around this issue...

Best of luck!

Although I haven't finished yet, last night I knocked down the surface texture with 600 grit sandpaper. This got rid of the texture and "potholes". I hope to now spray these pieces sometime this weekend with Alclad gray primer & microfiller. This...in theory....should even out the surface to be smooth. We'll see. Tamiya Fine Primer also has microfiller.

Probably the finish was introduced on the molds using spark erosion machining techniques. I think the previously mentioned idea of keeping the unpolished mold was to give a consistent matte finish to the unpainted plastic, which might be appropriate for the ship in the movie. I just can't recall if it was shiny or not... looking into the archive for that hi-def render, it appears in the movie it was shiny, giving a metallic sheen.

So, got a lot of polishing ahead... using a bit of Scotchbrite sanding/scouring pad might help.

R. Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back