Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghostbusters can not be compared to any comic book movie. Ghostbusters is in no where as cherished or current as comic books/super heroes. Again, you are better served comparing it to other comedies.

Ghostbusters can not be compared to any comic book movie. Ghostbusters is in no where as cherished or current as comic books/super heroes. Again, you are better served comparing it to other comedies.
Oh really. The pro rebooters and GB Fans need to pick a direction or stance for this. There are a whole bunch of GB fans and costumers on GBFans.com that go around saying that the GB Fandom is as big as Star Wars, Marvel, DC, etc. They say it every time someone goes on there and says that GB is not as big as SW. "Who are we to say that one person's favorite fandom is not as big as another person's favorite fandom." And here you are saying the opposite. They all need to pick an opinion and stick by it. Or are all pro rebooters and GB Fans hypocrites out of convenience.

I'm not in any category (other than pro-entertainment) but from the perspective of a guy who only goes to the Vancouver Fanexpo as far as cons go, there's no way GB has the same imprint in pulp culture as Star Wars or Batman... The fandom is there for sure, but second tier.

It it didn't hit big cuz it looked like any other Feig comedy, there wasn't the insane fanbase Star Wars has, and they responded really poorly to the Internet dog pile.

and I truly believe the average viewer thought, "meh... Ghostbusters... Whatever".

i mean the studios actually believed at one time there was a big enough "Jem and the Holgrams" fanbase to make a blockbuster.

I'm not in any category (other than pro-entertainment) but from the perspective of a guy who only goes to the Vancouver Fanexpo as far as cons go, there's no way GB has the same imprint in pulp culture as Star Wars or Batman... The fandom is there for sure, but second tier.

It it didn't hit big cuz it looked like any other Feig comedy, there wasn't the insane fanbase Star Wars has, and they responded really poorly to the Internet dog pile.

and I truly believe the average viewer thought, "meh... Ghostbusters... Whatever".

i mean the studios actually believed at one time there was a big enough "Jem and the Holgrams" fanbase to make a blockbuster.
Second tier? As a member of a GB franchise in Washington DC, I tend to agree with you. When we attend events where the 501st and RL are there, or the East Coast Acengers, us GBs get treated like the second act. I have seen it first hand. Just don't tell the die hards on GBFans.com. They all think GB is equal to SW, Marvel, DC and such.

The idea with a merman as opposed to a mermaid in Splash is kind of simple, a man that doesnt think with his little soldier. So now you have a romcom targeting the date crowd and lonely women demographics. It a remake as the studio already owns the property and can pump out garbage like this quickly in house and on budget for another ungodly amount of $$$ then claim no profits until it triples its investment. I wish Paul Hernandez was still around, Jetbeetle would have a field day with these "films".

Agreed. They can reboot this idea on the cheep rom com budget with minimal $$ on FX. Put the right stars in it and it will fill seats. Bonus if they release it around VD day.

The pro rebooters and GB Fans need to pick a direction or stance for this... They all need to pick an opinion and stick by it. Or are all pro rebooters and GB Fans hypocrites out of convenience.

trying to talk sense with gb 16 supporters is impossible. they are contradicting ;o).

Just don't tell the die hards on GBFans.com. They all think GB is equal to SW, Marvel, DC and such.
You guys realize that not all people that enjoyed the reboot share the same thoughts and opinions, right? Sony gets called out relentlessly for lumping general reboot detractors in with misogynists and racists, and here you guys are doing the same generalizing.

You guys realize that not all people that enjoyed the reboot share the same thoughts and opinions, right? Sony gets called out relentlessly for lumping general reboot detractors in with misogynists and racists, and here you guys are doing the same generalizing.
The is no generalizing here. I am discussing how hypocritical GB Fans. They change their mind on this based on the situation or discussion. You are one of the pro rebooters on GBFans.com. Which side are you on? Is GB second tier? Or is GB as big as SW, Marvel, DC and such?

GB never has been on the level of SW or Marvel/DC. That is just stating a fact.

GB has 1 good movie and 1 good spinoff cartoon show going for it, none of which is younger than 30yo. That's about all GB is, in the mainstream's eyes. It's not in the top shelf of franchises. Sony was stupid if they thought it was.

(Yeah, GB got a sequel back in the day. So did the live-action Flintstones movie. Yeah, it got a modern video game. So did the Last Airbender movie.)

I would agree that GB has potential to be bigger than it ever has before. But that's raw potential, not something existing. Sony seemed to have forgotten that part. They tried to cash-in on the huge modern appeal of GB before they bothered to build it in the first place.

:facepalm

The is no generalizing here. I am discussing how hypocritical GB Fans. They change their mind on this based on the situation or discussion. You are one of the pro rebooters on GBFans.com. Which side are you on? Is GB second tier? Or is GB as big as SW, Marvel, DC and such?
I enjoyed the reboot and I post at GBFans. Calling GB second tier is harsh-- the name implies less quality/coolness. GB as a franchise and fanbase isn't larger than SW or Marvel. However, I think GB is on the same level of cultural significance as SW/Marvel.

I sometimes tend to think die hard gb fans have fun switching up what the say as some kind of game.
especially in this movies case where you can't outright call it a success.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a few years, when this thing has all but been forgotten, those championing it the most will go back to their pre feig levels of normality and just ignore it like it never happened.

It's almost back up to a million. I guess sony no longer deletes dislikes now that the thing is out ;o)

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the reboot and I post at GBFans. Calling GB second tier is harsh-- the name implies less quality/coolness. GB as a franchise and fanbase isn't larger than SW or Marvel. However, I think GB is on the same level of cultural significance as SW/Marvel.

Youre kidding me right? That you think GB is on the same level of cultural significance as Star Wars and Marvel? What in gods name are you basing that on? Seriously, Im shocked! Im pretty much over this thread but I HAD to address this. Please. Given box office take ALONE on this reboot, how could you even say that? Im flabbergasted! Wanting it to be is different than saying that it is.

GB never has been on the level of SW or Marvel/DC. That is just stating a fact.

I think it depends on where you draw the lines.

GB compared to Marvel is no contest. Not even close. I doubt GB totals even beat what Marvel does in T-shirt sales alone.

But, you don't usually get to see all of marvel on a ticket (Infinity war aside). When you break it into individual franchises, then against some, yes GB is easily a contender.

Maybe not against the giants like Batman, but against Guardians of the Galaxy, or Fantastic Four...yes, GB is easily on par in terms of impact and fanbase.

(for now...there's more Guardians coming)

I think it depends on where you draw the lines.

GB compared to Marvel is no contest. Not even close. I doubt GB totals even beat what Marvel does in T-shirt sales alone.

But, you don't usually get to see all of marvel on a ticket (Infinity war aside). When you break it into individual franchises, then against some, yes GB is easily a contender.

Maybe not against the giants like Batman, but against Guardians of the Galaxy, or Fantastic Four...yes, GB is easily on par in terms of impact and fanbase.

(for now...there's more Guardians coming)

But to compare it to Star Wars? Cmon, thats asinine.

Same cultural significance as SW and Marvel. Not even close. Force Friday, May the Fourth Be With You, Revenge of the Fifth, etc. Cultural events that started within the fandom that now extend outside the fandom. Force Friday alone had people standing outside retailers at 12:00 midnight. Nobody stood outside a retailer at 12:00 midnight to pick up Feigbuster figures. The release of SW TFA was viewed as a once in a generation movie event. Being a member of the 501st, RL and a GB franchise, I see it first hand. GB is not even close to SW.

well, when you put it like that, it's kind of hard too....

....what, evil unicorn on my shoulder? uh huh... uh huh... yeah... oh, that's a good one!

wait, here comes another mind blowing argument ;o).....

...and ya see?! Neil finally admitted to hearing evil fairy tale creatures in his head. I can kinda understand his rambling conspiracies now. @Snikt and @goldenhawk what's your excuse? :lol

Youre kidding me right? That you think GB is on the same level of cultural significance as Star Wars and Marvel? What in gods name are you basing that on? Seriously, Im shocked! Im pretty much over this thread but I HAD to address this. Please. Given box office take ALONE on this reboot, how could you even say that? Im flabbergasted! Wanting it to be is different than saying that it is.

Same cultural significance as SW and Marvel. Not even close. Force Friday, May the Fourth Be With You, Revenge of the Fifth, etc. Cultural events that started within the fandom that now extend outside the fandom. Force Friday alone had people standing outside retailers at 12:00 midnight. Nobody stood outside a retailer at 12:00 midnight to pick up Feigbuster figures. The release of SW TFA was viewed as a once in a generation movie event. Being a member of the 501st, RL and a GB franchise, I see it first hand. GB is not even close to SW.

But to compare it to Star Wars? Cmon, thats asinine.
Wow-- aggressive much? ...and @Snikt, aren't you the one that was whining about snark in this thread? It feels good, doesn't it? Admit it-- snark feels good.

You guys are confusing fandom/popularity with cultural significance. I thought that might be painfully evident by how I worded by post, separating the two. Toy events, fandom size, merch sales, BO takes-- of course GB isn't on par with the Disney properties. They're juggernauts. Cultural significance-- the logo being one of the most recognizable in the world, along with the name, tagline, the song, iconography being engrained in the general pop of our society, etc., GB has had that in spades since 1984.

To head you both off at the pass: No, cultural significance doesn't equal a money printing machine. In that regards, it's a head start on marketing, but not every title in cinemas or in the merch marketplace that has cultural significance will sell legendary numbers. There have been countless examples of this throughout the decades.

As an entertainment powerhouse, Marvel was all but dead until Sony's SPIDER-MAN franchise, sparked by Fox's X-Men. Even then, it took until the IRON MAN movie and the Disney acquisition to become significant.

Those are just my opinions, though. Go ahead, generalize me and tell me how my opinion is wrong-- I know it's coming. :lol

Last edited:
...and ya see?! Neil finally admitted to hearing evil fairy tale creatures in his head. I can kinda understand his rambling conspiracies now. @Snikt and @goldenhawk what's your excuse? :lol

Wow-- aggressive much? ...and @Snikt, aren't you the one that was whining about snark in this thread? It feels good, doesn't it? Admit it-- snark feels good.

You guys are confusing fandom/popularity with cultural significance. I thought that might be painfully evident by how I worded by post, separating the two. Toy events, fandom size, merch sales, BO takes-- of course GB isn't on par with the Disney properties. They're juggernauts. Cultural significance-- the logo being one of the most recognizable in the world, along with the name, tagline, the song, iconography being engrained in the general pop of our society, etc., GB has had that in spades since 1984.

To head you both off at the pass: No, cultural significance doesn't equal a money printing machine. In that regards, it's a head start on marketing, but not every title in cinemas or in the merch marketplace that has cultural significance will sell legendary numbers. There have been countless examples of this throughout the decades.

As an entertainment powerhouse, Marvel was all but dead until Sony's SPIDER-MAN franchise, sparked by Fox's X-Men. Even then, it took until the IRON MAN movie and the Disney acquisition to become significant.

Those are just my opinions, though. Go ahead, generalize me and tell me how my opinion is wrong-- I know it's coming. :lol
Spoken like a true GB Fan with a screen accurate uniform and proton pack. But guess what, I have these too. And I still think the cultural reach of GB is way far less than SW. Hell, I run into people at events that know lightsabers and Stormtroopers but don't know a proton pack from a jet pack. Parents have to explain what GBs are to their kids, but the kids know Vader and Jedi when they see them.

And the box office takes prove it. A lot more people saw SW TFA than Feigbusters.

Spoken like a true GB Fan with a screen accurate uniform and proton pack. But guess what, I have these too. And I still think the cultural reach...
I have no idea where you're going here. What does us having pack replicas have to do with the conversation?

As for the cultural relevance of the property-- we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back