Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a comedy. No one was expecting Ripley for these women, just like Dan akroyd isn't a John Maclean.

This isnt insulting to women or men, just the overly sensitive.

its a comedy.

the original was a comedy.

I'm positive if it was the EXACT same script, with Mellisa McCartney announcing "this man has no d*ck!" All these overly sensitive whiners here would be freaking out screaming "man hating! What if a guy said 'this woman has no vagina!"

isn't that the same defense the director used? 'just let this film happen.. you don't know what we're doing'.

Apparently we did. right from the time it was announced, and the time we read his first email pitch.

the audience is smarter than that, paul. and sometimes you have to be vocal, hopefully in a nice way,to let them know that. and if you're real lucky, box office figures will back up that vocality.

it may not have ruined my child hood, but it sure ruined my perception of the brand. the anti male hate. the anti nerd hate (surprising from a 'self proclaimed nerd' and 'creator' of the apparently untouchable 'freaks and geeks')..it's all there. it's in his movies. you don't even have to look hard for it. if these are the hateful people involved with a kids brand, why reward them for it? why let them get away with it? 'bullying' is bullying no matter who does it.

the fact that so many are either willing to ignore that, or just sweep it aside as if it doesn't matter is sad.

The thing is though, the film is released. The chips have fallen where they may. I was happy to call this movie out for a year and a half, starting with the first plot breakdown we published last year. The more people I could make aware of how this iteration of Ghostbusters came to pass and convince them not to show Sony they'd support it, the better. But there's no war left to wage here. Everyone's decided. The people who want to see it likely have already. There are plenty of garbage movies coming up to rail against if you want to keep demanding a more thoughtful product out of Hollywood. Sony's already halfway through their post-mortem on this, and our posts don't have sway over how accurately they account for the situation.

The thing is though, the film is released. The chips have fallen where they may. I was happy to call this movie out for a year and a half, starting with the first plot breakdown we published last year. The more people I could make aware of how this iteration of Ghostbusters came to pass and convince them not to show Sony they'd support it, the better. But there's no war left to wage here. Everyone's decided. The people who want to see it likely have already. There are plenty of garbage movies coming up to rail against if you want to keep demanding a more thoughtful product out of Hollywood. Sony's already halfway through their post-mortem on this, and our posts don't have sway over how accurately they account for the situation.

point taken.

I guess all that's left at this point is to see how farther they can debase themselves with stupidity until it leaves theaters.

Right now all that's left is to see how it does after the theater i.e. video,spin offs,cartoons and if what and if they do a sequel which could go either everybody comes back for round two (Fig Newton,the women,Thor) or if they do a Hulk like "reboot the reboot" and try to forget this happened.

That...could take a year,or two and if it just fades away and nothing else is done then I expect it's either going to get buried deep or a quiet announcement of option two above.

That's what first made me read that thread, I thought what was this all about that the mods made that warning. It does beg the question where they are now and how they have let some of these comments stand. But at least now I know which members opinions I have zero respect for so there's that.

I feel the exact same way. Now I know who to not pay attention to.

Last edited:
I feel the exact same way. Now I know who to not pay attention to.
Which is funny, because from what I remember, a bulk of this thread's comments centered around sexism stems from the haters. Most of the pro-reboot/indifferent crowd just wanted to discuss and anticipate a goofy fun movie. It's easy to see where the hate and vitriol began--- which for the record, is not anyone with complaints. There's a striking difference.

My personal guess-- there's no way Sony will let this franchise lay dormant over a movie that didn't perform as well as they had hoped. Sony is a franchise-hungry studio, and GB has proven to be a big draw by the bean counters. With the occasional exception, box office numbers are down all across the board. The fact of the matter is that we would have had GB content out the wazoo ages ago, but the approval deal in place with the GB primaries was the sole hold up. Once the approval rights deal was made (Ghost Corps), the flood gates opened.

Interesting article on summer BO numbers- http://variety.com/2016/film/features/box-office-decline-summer-blockbusters-the-bfg-1201822322/

Personally, moving forward I would love to see a project based on Aykroyd's original core idea-- bored, cynical blue collar people played by funny people fighting the paranormal. Orkin with monsters. Mundane meets the extraordinary.

...and HUGE props to @Westies14 for his set dressing post on GBFans. Cool, classy move-- helping fans of the reboot obtain original pieces, even though he wasn't a fan of it himself. We're all obviously into the same thing here. Like, dislike, or indifference of a movie can be debated without bad mojo. :D

I FINALLY can see it this Saturday. Work has been a nightmare lately and the weekends I've been out of town...

but this Saturday my wife and kid are having a "Mommy Daughter" day, and I'm having a "Go to the theater at noon and leave at midnight" day... I'm gonna check out EVERYTHING I've been meaning to see.

And GB 16 is first up.

After watching the first 2 this week, I pretty much know what I want to see in this flick, and will grade accordingly.

1. Funny - cuz that's what the first one excelled at, and the second failed at. "Who you gonna call!??!" "HE MAN!!!" - Ugh. You know, in regards to the new one, I've heard people complain about improv'd lines... but the whole first movie was improv! Guess I'll see....

2. Four tight friends - The first Ghostbusters you could buy these guys were best buds. The second Ghostbusters there was no chemistry in the group.

3. solid story - First had a great story, solid structure, moved along perfectly... The second was the same story again, but illogical Dana inclusion made the whole thing stupid.

4. Cool tech - The first introduced proton packs, which (as was pointed out by RLM) were just lasso's... but cool as hell. The second had packs that squirted slime? lame.

5 Cool effects - I doubt this movie will compete with the awesomeness of the first... but couldn't be worse than the second. people complain about the neon slime bieng sprayed on Kristen Wiig in the trailer, but are we forgetting the pink slime all over the second movie? That crap was awful.

So very interested to see how this plays out.

I do find it hilarious that the domestic and foreign box office take of the Ice Age movie is almost $100 million more than the reboot. And the general consensus is the Ice Age movie is a flop. Then what does that make Feigbusters? An even bigger flop?

I do find it hilarious that the domestic and foreign box office take of the Ice Age movie is almost $100 million more than the reboot. And the general consensus is the Ice Age movie is a flop. Then what does that make Feigbusters? An even bigger flop?

someone pointed out that it made less than bridesmades AND F4.

not sure about that, but funny if true :)

someone pointed out that it made less than bridesmades AND F4.

not sure about that, but funny if true :)
The sad thing is that I help run a GB franchise that has been in existence since the 1990s. Now I know some of my fellow GBs used this reboot as a time to celebrate and some sort of renewal of the GB universe. I for one didn't feel that the GB fandom needed a renewal, and all the reboot did is make me want to hang up the proton pack, shut down the franchise, and go towards another fandom. And I know that I am not the only GB that feels this way.

The sad thing is that I help run a GB franchise that has been in existence since the 1990s. Now I know some of my fellow GBs used this reboot as a time to celebrate and some sort of renewal of the GB universe. I for one didn't feel that the GB fandom needed a renewal, and all the reboot did is make me want to hang up the proton pack, shut down the franchise, and go towards another fandom. And I know that I am not the only GB that feels this way.

sadly, the more reboots fandoms get, it's going to be split like this all over.

You'll always have old versus new.

At least most turtle fans can agree that the only crap we got that's unwatchable are the b ay movies and next mutation. oh, and those music videos :)

Yeah yahoo mentioned earlier yesterday that the movie hadn't made it's budget back yet, gotta admit that it's kinda surprising given it's been going for 2 weeks now.

I also notice box office mojo is subjectively slow in releasing it's numbers. missed the last two or so days now.

it's also funny seeing some fan pages spin this.
except for two totals, the others are lower, and they only get to keep about half that high total ;o). and that international box office is way worse than F4 ;o)

13880234_1072538196115359_244909584918993852_n.jpg

Last edited:
That international box office take is.....oh,lord :lol it is NOT doing well,you know you're screwed when something like the FF film (which is called a stinker and a half) out does you!!

BTW....some of the cheerleaders on here....some of their responses are coming across to me as very scripted,like copying from a paper scripted :behave

As I posted elsewhere I'm no fan but this thing is an interesting phenomenon that I can't help but follow.

Of course it is going to be lower without China in there and I'm sure they are going to (or did) take that into account.

The saddest part is that I'm certain that if Feig and Sony just kept their mouths shut and didn't play the misogyny victim card so hard and lash out at whining fans I think the film would have done much better. The film is tainted with more negativity and hostility than a comedy should have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back