"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I don't think hes an android, I get the impression its some kind of environmental suit.
I figured that it was just because there IS an actor in a suit. But I got that impression as well .
Artificial life form, iirc.
According to Wikipedia, MrSouthpaw is correct. They describe Isaac as "A member of the artificial, non-biological race from Kaylon-1 that views biological lifeforms, including humans, as inferior."

I actually really like the design of Isaac. To me he's a great throwback to 50s style sci-fi...and I really feel like that's what they're going for with his design.

I really enjoyed this last episode. It was fairly heavy and touched on some current social issues which I enjoyed. The end caught me off guard and showed that they writers aren't afraid of handing the crew a "loss" so to speak.

I also also wanted to mention that I know others don't like them, but I'm really liking the ship design. I like how organic they all seem to look.

The last episode scared me when it started on whatever they are calling the "holodeck", but then they saved it by turning it into a joke. After the first episode or two of The Next Generation revolved around the holodeck I started viewing it as a crutch.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Yeah, the episode showed some great social awareness and had some interesting points.

I just wish the overall execution was better. I want to like this, but I am so put off by how poor parts of Orville are. The script, at times, seems written by 15 year old and the special effects by an 11 year old. I know it's supposed to be a parody - but, man there's just some amazingly stupid bits.

Despite that, at times there are interesting character dynamics developing and I am curious to see how those might develop.

My take on The Orville so far is that it is actually NOT meant to be a parody or satire of Star Trek.

I know that's how it was presented in most of the marketing, but I feel like MacFarlane intends this to be something...else.

It's no secret that Seth MacFarlane is a huge Star Trek fan. I feel like this is his way of making his own version of it. However, being Seth MacFarlane, he can't commit to the one common thread in every incarnation of Star Trek to date: Stoicism. There is an underlying seriousness in Star Trek that is undeniable. There may be funny moments, for sure. But the thought that a member of the bridge crew would make some sarcastically inappropriate comment during first contact or in the midst of battle? Almost inconceivable.

But I feel like what MacFarlane wanted was a crew that was more relatable in the sense that they would just blurt out what was on their minds... sometimes inappropriately. They might even be a little cynical at times - a quality definitely missing from Star Trek. I think he wanted to strip away the stoicism.

I don't think all of the jokes are MEANT to be funny, as much as honest in the way that the humor in real life often falls flat.

If that's really what he's going for, it's a pretty big risk to take, because as is definitely proving to be the case, it's a hard concept to sell.

...I just wish the overall execution was better. I want to like this, but I am so put off by how poor parts of Orville are. The script, at times, seems written by 15 year old and the special effects by an 11 year old. I know it's supposed to be a parody - but, man there's just some amazingly stupid bits...
I agree that the writing is uneven, and they need to work on blending the "funny" and "straight" parts better. As it is, except for the occasional "offhanded" comment it's pretty much, "Oh, here's the funny part. And here comes the serious part. Now the action scene...and we're back to funny."

I think the special effects are fine for a show like this, but since they aren't 100% convincing I can't help but wonder if they're supposed to be part of the "parody". "Nope, too polished, they need to look a bit 'cheesy'."

We finally watched the third episode last night. I an absolutely loving this show... it is more Star Trek than anything the recent crop of movies has given us, and even with the humor aspects, it really scratches the intelligent sci-fi TV itch I have periodically. I'm absolutely floored that it took Seth McFarland to give us something that is actually true to the feel of Trek.

Another "seen it before, but but this is an interesting twist" story line. I'm really liking it. Imagine how much greater this would be if SM took this in a total serious tone?

That was another great episode. I've only come across flying countries and the like in some of sci fi books I've read in the past, was great to see the whole idea fleshed roughly out for an episode. Some hit and miss humour but mostly lands, I lolled at a few points.

Solid, week after week.

And then Liam Neeson turns up, and delivers a heartfelt message. Absolutely brilliant.

It looks like Seth is committing to the mostly unfunny captian who thinks he's hilarious .

The parody as I see it
Seth on the Orville = comedy legend (in his own mind ?) Playing a captian who cant quite land a joke

Shatner on TOS = great actor ( in his own mind ?) Playing a captian who can't quite deliver a line without hamming it up .

But as Peter the great told little Alexander when he asked what was in the mind of the titans .
"who knows these things ?"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back