First build .. Bespin Bin

Thanks again Fuzzual!! I've got myself in a frenzy with all the movie hype, my build and all my fellow geeks... Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get all the weathering to work and look right.. plus the transition from smooth exterior to raw interior of the carbonite chamber.. Now that's not to mention wanting to run the power supplies power cord from the control panel to the interior battery back up/surge protector, have access to all lighting and the ability to change LED's if needed (mumbling under my breath) "I better not NEED to replace the LED's anytime soon!" I believe what I am making now is more like a functioning model that resemble some of my most memorable moments in Star Wars...
I believe this may be the first of many new "additions" to my studio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbonite control question.jpg

1. Does any one know what these were made from? They look to be twins in nature and possibly completely pieced together. Chrome knob that could be possibly a cabinet knob? Add a wire terminal connector thingy to the side??? I dunno.. I just want a resemblance with an actual working switch. That's the tricky part.. Gonna go to the local electronics part store and pick their brains...

2. Could I use chrome pin stripping tape to get a similar result?

oh man! I love that panel blow out you are doing there. Very very cool!!!

Thanks! I keep hearing Leia saying; "Into the garbage chute flyboy!"

I'm gonna go with a dry brush technique for the weld splatter feel. I'd like to know how you get that "chipped" look to your weathering..
Love your recent additions... so good.. Where at Home Depot would I find those tiles/reflectors that SofaKing told you about? I'd like to add them to a few things..

I added a few shelves and started prepping for the control panel build.

Shelves added A.jpg

Holds my gloves and spray bottles..
shelves added.jpg

Gonna add some lighting to them next though...

Started some on the control panel...

Control Panel.jpg

I like seeing the test fitting with all the parts kinda in place...
Testing A.jpg

It's getting closer.....

Attachments

• trim the edges.jpg
    trim the edges.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 68
Well, I've been a bit under the weather this entire week but have been doing some painting and trying to figure out the whole under cone thingy for the landing strip... I thought about fiber board? The brown board that's a bit flexible....

Well, that didn't work....
guess not.jpg

So, I just took the dog cone and trimmed it... still needs more trimming but it gives me a better idea of what it'll look like...
plus this lets me know that everything (lights at least) will not be replaceable... if one burns out, I guess it'll be battle damaged...

dog cone.jpg

I did glue it in place and it's VERY flimsy feeling, but once it's glued to the top piece it should boost the rigidity. Right?

test fit power supply.jpg

I did a quick visual test fit for my power supply and it'll squeeze in there..

control board 01.jpg

Started the gluing sequence... hoping this will all turn out looking good in the end... Kinda hitting a builders wall... I don't know where to go next... i have things that need to be done but when I don't have the tools it makes it a bit more difficult... Still trudging on though....

Back to work today but thought I'd up date a few things... be happy Fuzzual... your build pushes me..... I've now decided though to turn my entire work area into a build....
complete with an HIC and all... but... one step at a time..

Attachments

• serveimage-7.jpeg
    serveimage-7.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 62
@Fuzzual How do you get that "chipped" look on the Carbonite stand? Also been under the weather lately...

its an old trick I learned here. I prime everything, then I spray down what ever color I want to show through the damaged area, silver for example. Then I use Elmers rubber cement and dab a little in all the places I want to show the weather and damaged spots. I try and put it in places that it would make sense it would be chipped or worn. Once you apply the rubber cement, then you can spray on your primary color. After the paint dried you will be able to rub your finger on the areas you applied the rubber cement and the top layer of paint will peel away.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome man, looks greats!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome man, looks greats!

Thank you sir..... for the inspirations (and the hints)... I never thought about empty printer ink cartridges for greeblies!!! UGH!! I used to work in an office!!! I can only imagine what I've thrown away!! ... I also thought the NES was slick... If you ever have a suggestion, please share...... Thanks again for looking!

When looking at the photos of the Death Star and interior scenes on starships, the panels and such have a texture to them. Is there a specific way to get that look? I've noticed in your builds @Fuzzual you have those same textures in black and in the grey panels. Since you said I could pick away at your brain, I'm pickin'.. What are the paint colors/brands you use? Where do you get some of those amazing greeblies? The reflectors that sofaking recommended to you from the Home Depot, where are they or what are they called, so that I may find them? I also, just read page 19 of your room and reread the cement glue technique I made you repeat yourself.. sorry... but thanks anyway!! Planning on using that trick this weekend... its been a sanding week and recheck stuff... Getting prepared for some painting... Thanks for your help.. The red panels red color?

Last edited:
View attachment 557096

Going off this image. I would say that the dash dot light panels would be a dark-mid grey. I am looking to go with the grey for the top half of the garbage chute and the lower half a black to resemble the hallway. I was looking at maybe putting some greeblies on the front panel to add some flair but am still debating..

View attachment 557097

Suggestions??

I am planning on lighting the back panels..

When looking at the photos of the Death Star and interior scenes on starships, the panels and such have a texture to them. Is there a specific way to get that look? I've noticed in your builds @Fuzzual you have those same textures in black and in the grey panels. Since you said I could pick away at your brain, I'm pickin'.. What are the paint colors/brands you use? Where do you get some of those amazing greeblies? The reflectors that sofaking recommended to you from the Home Depot, where are they or what are they called, so that I may find them? I also, just read page 19 of your room and reread the cement glue technique I made you repeat yourself.. sorry... but thanks anyway!! Planning on using that trick this weekend... its been a sanding week and recheck stuff... Getting prepared for some painting... Thanks for your help.. The red panels red color?

hey there. I will try and answer what questions I can.

I go with Rustoleum Products for the paint scheme I have used in my room. I use primer grey on just about everything first, then I use the Rustoleum silver, and the high gloss grey. I also use a variety of the "hammered" grey paints. It give a little texture.

(some of these say discontinued. All i could find is the large cases and 6 packs. but if you buy these individual, you will find them at the store. They just don't sell the packs anymore.)

Primer: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...mel-Gray-Primer-Spray-6-Pack-275195/205389173

Sliver: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...ay-Paint-6-Pack-DISCONTINUED-182762/202041167

High Gloss Grey: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...Gloss-Ford-Gray-Spray-6-Pack-272016/205389168

Hammered Grey: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...ay-Paint-6-Pack-DISCONTINUED-182781/202041186

The reflectors that SofaKing suggested I found at Lowes. They were in the section that have all the "for sale" signs and "Garage Sale" signs. They are in an assorted pack that just said "refector" on them.

The other greeblies are a combination of things. I stash and save just about every piece of junk that I can. Bottle caps, plastic packaging, and a TON of electronics parts. I work in the AV industry, and I take apart all the returned and old equipment; projectors, TV's, DVD players, you name it. And when I find a great piece I mold it so that I can mass produce pieces i like.

The second place is on ebay. You can look up "Electronic Lots" or "Radio Part Lots" and so on. You will find that there are many many people selling junk out there. One man's junk is another man's greeblies?

And then it really helps to "know a guy" and that guy is Sofaking. I would suggest reaching out to him. Perhaps he could sell you some good stuff. The guy is a greeblie master!!!

Hope this helps. good luck!

hey there. I will try and answer what questions I can.

The reflectors that SofaKing suggested I found at Lowes. They were in the section that have all the "for sale" signs and "Garage Sale" signs. They are in an assorted pack that just said "refector" on them.

No wonder I didn't find them at Home Depot.... HA!!

The other greeblies are a combination of things. I stash and save just about every piece of junk that I can. Bottle caps, plastic packaging, and a TON of electronics parts. I work in the AV industry, and I take apart all the returned and old equipment; projectors, TV's, DVD players, you name it. And when I find a great piece I mold it so that I can mass produce pieces i like.

This explains a lot...

The second place is on ebay. You can look up "Electronic Lots" or "Radio Part Lots" and so on. You will find that there are many many people selling junk out there. One man's junk is another man's greeblies?

EBAY!!!

And then it really helps to "know a guy" and that guy is Sofaking. I would suggest reaching out to him. Perhaps he could sell you some good stuff. The guy is a greeblie master!!!

>Note to self, make friends with @sofaking<

Hope this helps. good luck!

Heading to goodwill for greeblies ( I have specifics in mind) and Lowes!!

I have to make a decision.... table saw or Kylo helmet... Ugh... why are things so 'spensive?

Gonna look for a hammered black paint as well.....

Well, the weathering tips by @Fuzzual really worked!! I am in love with my floor panel weathering!!

floor panel weathered.jpg

Also, here is the garbage chute with some greeblies added (that @Fuzzual helped me with again)
I did some research and could only find a few pics of this thing..

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 6.31.50 PM.jpg

So, I made my own version...

garbage chute panel 01.jpg

Also started working on the front panel of the garbage chute.

garbage chute panel 00.jpg

garbage chute panel 02.jpg

garbage chute panel 04.jpg

I really liked the clear half globe things I found... Added a 70's flair to it...

and then a quick test fit to get the blood pumping!!

garbage chute panel 03.jpg

YEEEE HAAAA!!!
Next is to add the back boards and add the lighting and paint that little piece right on top of the garbage chute panel!!

Well, until the next update!!

Well, the weathering tips by @Fuzzual really worked!! I am in love with my floor panel weathering!!

View attachment 558712

Also, here is the garbage chute with some greeblies added (that @Fuzzual helped me with again)
I did some research and could only find a few pics of this thing..

View attachment 558714

So, I made my own version...

View attachment 558715

Also started working on the front panel of the garbage chute.

View attachment 558716

View attachment 558717

View attachment 558718

I really liked the clear half globe things I found... Added a 70's flair to it...

and then a quick test fit to get the blood pumping!!

View attachment 558719

YEEEE HAAAA!!!
Next is to add the back boards and add the lighting and paint that little piece right on top of the garbage chute panel!!

Well, until the next update!!

Fan-flipping-tastic!!!!!!

This week was pretty hectic but I was able to get a few things done.

access panel hole cut.jpg

I added the access panel hole and made the platform base permanent.
I then added hinges to the opposite side and added new back panels for the garbage chute.

hinges.jpg

Then Started working on the access panel cover...

access panel no paint.jpg

Access panel 01.jpgAccess panel 02.jpgAccess Panel 03.jpgSlide.jpg

floor panel lift.jpg

I then made the floor panel permanent.. and another test fit... This time with lights!!

Test fit with lights.jpg

I took this before I added the weathering...
weathering on the main box.jpg

Hope everyone had good turkey day and it is only 16 more days until the AWAKENING!!!

Well, here are some updated photos... pretty much done.. still working out some minor details..
Hope you enjoy!!
install lighting on platform.jpg
hot glue, patience can actually equal...
awesomness.jpg

awesomeness... so happy right now...

lit shelves.jpg

added a backdrop to give it a "Bespin" feel..

over seeing construction.jpgover seeing construction.jpg
Vader and Fett dropped by to check the progress...
Doubling my effort!!
control panel 05.jpg

Got the control panel about ready to go..

presents!!.jpg

Oh yeah, received some awesome presents... going to try an add at least one button to the final product..

no lights.jpg
This is without the right side lights on... they're pretty bright.. but look good in person..

bright lights.jpg

Power supply is missing here but I'll add it soon..
power supply missing.jpg

also snuck some other items in there...
tri-force.jpg

also found my old cloud car from childhood... had to park it...
twin pod could car.jpg

I'll add some more soon... still have some minor bugs to finish up...

Thanks for looking!!

Ok, the bin is installed into the studio booth and the clients are loving it..

I added a few things and that's what this post is about..

it sticks out!!!!.jpg

When I added the lights a bit of the light bar stuck out plus you could see the lighting from above..

I added a corner bracket and some light covers for the top. I also took out the 4 light strips and made it 2. Not as overpowering for the rest of the bin..

light covers.jpg light cover.jpg

I also added exhaust port looking things to the bottom.. It adds a nice flair..

exahust ports.jpg

I then decided to add a non-working (at least until I can figure out the wiring) E-stop button..

e-stop complete.jpg

Here is the bin in its new permanent home at No Egrets Tattoo Studio in Clarksville, TN.. (I know this is a bit promotional)

installed.jpg

The Captain dropped by to check it out...
The Captain hanging out.jpg

Here's another shot of the power supply along side of the clipboard rings.

power supply and clippy.jpg

I had to heavily coat the garbage chute with polyurethane to allow for cleaning with harsh chemicals... Still looks good though...

melted.jpg

This has now inspired me to keep building into the booth... I'll post updates with a new thread... thinking of calling it the Lair of Derf... Darth Derf that is... LOL..

Hope everyone likes what they see.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back