TJack's Rhino Costume - Old School Style

TJackFx

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The idea for this costume has been churning in my head now for a while and once I got around to making my cowl http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=235457&highlight=rhino I knew I would need to make a full suit. I was inspired to make one similar in style to the classic comic/1967 cartoon Rhino.

As with all my previous costumes, I wanted to keep the budget as low as possible, especially since I know these big suits (like the hulk) can easily get up to $500+ due to the cost of foam and adhesive. So I spoke with a local supplier and was able to slowly collect a bunch of scrap pieces to use for the muscle base. In the end, the only foam I needed to buy was the 1/2" that I used to skin over the base muscles.

I picked up a zentai suit to use as a base to attach everything to. I began by attaching all the major muscles into place and then covering the entire thing in 1/2" foam to smooth it all out. Then I covered this with a 4-way stretch fabric to help with the next step.

IMG_1052.JPGIMG_1053.JPGIMG_1059.JPGIMG_1081.JPG

To prevent the foam from absorbing an insane amount of paint, I used a technique I discovered while making my dinosaur costume a few years back - I made a thinned out solution of acrylic caulk and brushed this over the entire suit which is much cheaper than plasti-dip. Once this dried, I then did a second layer (a thicker version) to add some texture and create my version of a rhino skin.

IMG_1091.JPG

This gave me a perfect base to paint over. I started with a solid grey and then did some black wash over it to bring out the texture and to try and match up to the cowl a bit.

IMG_1096.JPG

I'm wearing him to our local con this weekend and getting together with a big group of spideys for a picture.

IMG_1100.PNG

All in all, this full costume cost me less than $175 in materials.

Last edited:
Re: I'm the Rhino! Ain't nothing can hurt me!

Great build, but how in the hell do you move in that thing?

Although it's a real pain to get on since there is only an opening in the back, I can move fairly well actually. I'll see about getting a video up. I wanted to try and keep it as a one piece suit and avoid putting any seams into it which does limit mobility a bit.

@George - I actually used that image of the Rhino as inspiration :)

@Peachpanda, @dslinc, @Murdoch, @OneGoodScare - thanks :)

Wow, that's really inspirational. What an amazing job.

Question: For the step where you attach the stretch fabric, do you glue or pin that on? Can you explain that step a bit more? Thanks!

Wow, that's really inspirational. What an amazing job.

Question: For the step where you attach the stretch fabric, do you glue or pin that on? Can you explain that step a bit more? Thanks!

I used the same spray adhesive to hold the fabric in place that I used to hold the foam on the suit

Had a ton of fun at the Edmonton Entertainment Expo last weekend and met a lot of spideys who wanted their pic taken with me. It felt like Sunkistshark and I were posing non-stop.

IMG_1106.PNG

I was only able to stay in the suit for few hours as it was incredibly hot and I didn't want to risk heat exhaustion.

Thanks for sharing the (convention) photos,Tjack :thumbsup I always enjoy watching those very much
Again,a great build ! Would you use a different material though next time so you can stay longer in the suit?

I think about the only way I can last longer in it is to try and incorporate a cooling system. I'm not sure that I can get a material that will breathe and stay anywhere near my budget though if I was to ever try making one again.

Thanks for sharing the (convention) photos,Tjack :thumbsup I always enjoy watching those very much
Again,a great build ! Would you use a different material though next time so you can stay longer in the suit?

Please forgive the newbie suggestion as I know nothing about the subject of latex coating,but would it be possible to incorporate small tubes (4mm or so) facing upward for airflow before starting the latex coating? Kind of like the vertical shafts in a pyramid.Just wondering...

Had a ton of fun at the Edmonton Entertainment Expo last weekend and met a lot of spideys who wanted their pic taken with me. It felt like Sunkistshark and I were posing non-stop.

View attachment 535742

I was only able to stay in the suit for few hours as it was incredibly hot and I didn't want to risk heat exhaustion.

I got a cold vest for my muscle suit it does get hot. It really helps here is hot South Florida...Great work ...Looks amazing !

Re: TJack's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

My official proof pic for the 2015 Halloween Costume Contest and a pic of my pumpkin from this year :)

IMG_1234.JPG IMG_1232.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back