Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - FINISHED PICS!!! Page 4

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - Armor Paint Up Page

Oh soooo close! But there are ton of little details to finish to call the costume truly done. First off I added a double layer of mesh to the mouth.

024 (3).JPG

I also attached the elastic velcro straps to the back of the mask.

021 (2).JPG 022 (3).JPG

A large part of the morning yesterday was spent airbrushing all the seams and indents on a armor. Just to give it a little depth and make it stand out for photos.

025 (3).JPG 026 (3).JPG 027 (3).JPG

I am assembling the arms and legs today and getting ready for a "hopefully" final test fit!

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - Armor Paint Up Page

Boy, that weathering really makes the finish pop! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are DONE!!!! Bending space and time Doom used to Cosmic Cube to make all this happen!

046.JPG 048.JPG 029.JPG

Series of shots showing the whole costume.

034.JPG 050.JPG 032.JPG

Just in case magic and super-science are not what Doom wants to use he always has his trusty Mauser Broomhandle.

057.JPG 052.JPG

I will throw up a few more "suit-up" pics later to show how some of the pieces fit together. Right now I am just super happy to be done!!!

We are DONE!!!! Bending space and time Doom used to Cosmic Cube to make all this happen!

View attachment 433498 View attachment 433497 View attachment 433496

Series of shots showing the whole costume.

View attachment 433495 View attachment 433494 View attachment 433493

Just in case magic and super-science are not what Doom wants to use he always has his trusty Mauser Broomhandle.

View attachment 433491 View attachment 433492

I will throw up a few more "suit-up" pics later to show how some of the pieces fit together. Right now I am just super happy to be done!!!

HOLY BAT TASTIC, It's AWSOMER........ Wow, can't tell you how cool this looks by typing. I'm GEEKIN OUT HERE!! Wish I knew how to use the vacuum form like you do. Maybe someday I will give it a shot. The mask is my favorite part, well then there's the gloves, oh and the boots, did I mention the cube was a cool touch. Freakin AWESOME! JUST AWSOME!!

HOLY BAT TASTIC, It's AWSOMER........ Wow, can't tell you how cool this looks by typing. I'm GEEKIN OUT HERE!! Wish I knew how to use the vacuum form like you do. Maybe someday I will give it a shot. The mask is my favorite part, well then there's the gloves, oh and the boots, did I mention the cube was a cool touch. Freakin AWESOME! JUST AWSOME!!

Thanks Man! It was a long road but the results are worth it. Vac-forming is not too hard it just takes a bit of garage space and a lot of trial and error. Hopefully we will get a chance to take some studio photos at some point. My iPhone pics in the basement are ok but some real light would help show it off a little better.

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - FINISHED PICS!!! Pa

Ab-so-lute-ly Perfect Classic Dr. Doom!! Magnificent work! Like he stepped right out of a comic book!

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - FINISHED PICS!!! Pa

Ab-so-lute-ly Perfect Classic Dr. Doom!! Magnificent work! Like he stepped right out of a comic book!

Thanks! The client had a few specific images from the comics that he wanted to copy so I think we came pretty close!

I love this. Outstanding job!

Dr. Doom made his first public appearance last night! It was for the St. Baldricks fundraiser for children's cancer. The armor worked well. We did split one seam (easily glued back together) and popped a few finger pieces off (again, easily glued). The client said visibility is great and the voice amp made for a great booming "Doom" voice!

003.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG

008.JPG
This is my favorite photo of the night. That is me in my Mark VI Iron Man and I am 6' 4" in my armor. Look how much taller Dr. Doom is than me!!! That is why he makes a good Vader too!

Looks really great!

Amazing work! Congrats. I love Dr. Doom.

Feel like you would get a kick out of this. Hopefully, this will see life as a 1/4 statue. Sculpted by the amazing Martin Canale.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427659246.274174.jpg

Feel like you would get a kick out of this. Hopefully, this will see life as a 1/4 statue. Sculpted by the amazing Martin Canale.

View attachment 457642

That is all sorts of awesome rolled into one statue! I also think there is a future nerd debate as to how he is holding Mjolnir!?!?

Truly!

Well, it has been a long time since I updated this thread but I have all kinds of good pictures and updates so here we go!

First of all Dr. Doom went to Denver Comic-Con! The proud owner was kind enough to pass along some pictures.

Doom found Reed Richards.....RICHARDS!!!!!
004.JPG

Doom was not intimidated by Galactus, but was impressed by his stilt walking skills!
007.JPG

Doom liked the new look Loki was sporting.
010.JPG

Silk wanted the Cosmic Cube....but Doom said no!
009.JPG

It being a Comic-Con, Doom ran into Deadpool again, and again!
He kept trying to steal or EAT the Cosmic Cube!
IMG_2267.jpg 008.JPG

Doom did manage to pick up a souvenir! It was heavy but Doom is ALL POWERFUL!!!
Doom took it from a very small Thor. Maybe he got into some Pym particles?
003.JPG

To sum up, Doom took over and dominated the Con. As a side note, Doom also conquered a small island nation
known as Westeros and it now the King on the Iron Throne! That is all, Doom is out!!!
002.JPG

I also have updates on improving and prepping the bucks for a new round of vacuum forming. But I will put that in another post!

Can't wait! Great photos!!

I have been busy doing all kinds of non-prop/superhero stuff this summer. Camping, swimming lessons for the kiddo, T-ball, martial arts, and a new workout regimen. But I have found time recently to get back to modifying and improving the bucks for the Doom armor. A few bucks needed patching for low spots for deformations made by the vacuum pressure. I have added bondo layers and smoothed them out.

003.JPG

The ab section was a total loss and collapsed under the pressure since I did not make it a solid wood piece to save weight. I have tossed that and started a new ab section. I am using by old shield press to laminate two pieces of plywood with wood glue under pressure.

A good coat of glue is important!

001.JPG

I then put pressure from clamps on a center board and the glue and pressure will cause the boards to retain their curve after I remove them from the press.

002.JPG

Once that is done I will add the center raised detail and build solid supports under the curved section to maintain stability. The boards will be trimmed down to match the previous section and with a minimal amount of bondo and sanding we should have a full set of bucks again!

The plywood is dry (except for the glue)?

The plywood is dry (except for the glue)?

Yes, the only moisture is from the loads of glue (and the 90% humidity here today!). This works great and I used to use this method to make combat shields for armored SCA fighting. They hold up great!

Thanks!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back