The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

You may find many places that would be happy to do the brass plating. The problem I could see is they will most likely want the buckle completely disassembled to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The buckle looks pretty rough. I wonder if an acid etch would work on it?

buckles.jpg

I'm looking into the process myself and it seems totally manageable. A little bit of setup cost and some chemicals that may be slightly challenging to get hold of, but definitely not impossible.

I may have a guy out here that can do it... I know he has an electro-plate system... And several other pieces metal manipulation equipment. I can track him down and ask... I think he went off the rails when his lady left him and dropped off Facebook, but I'll see what I can do.

This is what I did with my wife's baldric buckle when I made her Elizabeth Swann costume! I used 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper and went over the buckle completely with both grit sandpapers. This was a solid shiny silver buckle. After that I hit it with two coats of gold Rub N Buff to get a brass look and finally with Rub N Buff vertigree. It turned out great and the RnB stayed on for a long time now. It was used heavily in 2007-2009! The light sanding gave the buckle texture so the RnB had a surface to adhere too.

This is what I did with my wife's baldric buckle when I made her Elizabeth Swann costume! I used 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper and went over the buckle completely with both grit sandpapers. This was a solid shiny silver buckle. After that I hit it with two coats of gold Rub N Buff to get a brass look and finally with Rub N Buff vertigree. It turned out great and the RnB stayed on for a long time now. It was used heavily in 2007-2009! The light sanding gave the buckle texture so the RnB had a surface to adhere too.
Capn_Jack_Savvy , This is the one thing i haven't sourced yet, (Rub N Buff), and now there is another flavor to get, LOL! Oh, and sandpaper...whee! thanks for the tip, nontheless! Did you get my package in the mail yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that, it's pretty cool. Just be aware that hitting the buckle with too much heat will likely destroy the spring inside!

I'll be taking it apart before doing this.

OK, so I've been studying the bag some more and here's what I've learned. The magnetic snaps are two different sizes, They line up basically perfectly with regular snap sizes line 20 and line 24. All the ones on the jacket are line 24. The ones on the bag that work the closure straps and the pointless decorative ones on the bag strap are line 24. The ones that hold the tiny darker flaps on are all line 20. There are also 14 special flat 10 mm brass rivets on the straps. Also the oval eyelets on the bag are 1.25" and the ones on the jacket are 1".

So what I want to know is where the heck did they get these snaps? They come in multiple standard sizes, so they have to be sold somewhere. It's highly unlikely that the company I found in LA can affordably reproduce both sizes, I would be limited to ordering the line 24 (5/8") size. They're so simple in design and so obviously standard that they have to exist and be sold somewhere.

I found this video today that looks way easier and I already have everything I need to try it. Will probably give it a shot on some stainless plated sheet metal around the shop before I try it on the buckle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFK9H4AG_Ww

In lieu of heating anything up, had anyone considered buffing it an then rubbing at it it with some colored wax just on the outer side so as to avoid any rub off? Poor-man's fix, but it might work :)

I'll be taking it apart before doing this.

OK, so I've been studying the bag some more and here's what I've learned. The magnetic snaps are two different sizes, They line up basically perfectly with regular snap sizes line 20 and line 24. All the ones on the jacket are line 24. The ones on the bag that work the closure straps and the pointless decorative ones on the bag strap are line 24. The ones that hold the tiny darker flaps on are all line 20. There are also 14 special flat 10 mm brass rivets on the straps. Also the oval eyelets on the bag are 1.25" and the ones on the jacket are 1".

So what I want to know is where the heck did they get these snaps? They come in multiple standard sizes, so they have to be sold somewhere. It's highly unlikely that the company I found in LA can affordably reproduce both sizes, I would be limited to ordering the line 24 (5/8") size. They're so simple in design and so obviously standard that they have to exist and be sold somewhere.

Risu, invaluable information, as usual, thanks! I had a look online and immediately found two color options. Gunmetal and Nickel. I'm leaning more toward the Nickel ones. Thoughts on the color?

Just rub n buff on the outside face would be a functional option. I hate that stuff though, it's messy and I don't trust it.

I already responded to your PM, but I'll post here as well. I'd love to see a link to the snaps you found, but I doubt they're the right ones. I've spent hours looking and haven't found a single lead.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back