How to keep your lips from showing through your mask

Saka157

I'm making a Spider-Man homecoming original suit for this years Dragoncon but I ran into a little problem. When I put my mask on, my lips bulge through and show and it makes the costume look weird. I'm looking for a solution that isn't crazy expensive. I don't want to use a face shell because it's not what the costume calls for and frankly I don't want to spend the cash. So suggestions?? IMG_1661.JPG

You could try making another mask that's a bit loose around the nose and lip area. Did that on mine and I rarely got that bulging when taking pics. It's still there but extremely subtle and it looks and feels more natural than using a face shell.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 1.38.58 PM.png

Also I noticed that your mask seems to be made out of lycra. Try something a bit thicker?

how about a cycle/motorcycle half mask, there designed to be breather through and there not expensive

115-050_A.jpg

though ive seen a few spider men that need other parts from showing .........................a crouch version of this would help :lol

My mask is fairly tight fitting do you think the half mask would show through and make my face look uneven

It will show through if you use that. Probably might look even worse. I suggest you make a new mask that isn't lycra. Use something a bit thicker. Lycra is thin and it really will show little bumps and grooves. If you're worried about breathing, then your only real option is using a face shell

I made my homecoming mask out of sweatshirt fleece. It's a little warm, but looks spot on (if I do say so myself). I choose to wear a face shell, but find I don't necessarily *need* one. I find the Lycra ones that are currently being used a lot don't have the right look.

I have an invention I created myself to fix this problem! I use some upholstery foam about 1/2 to 1 in thick and shape it into a chin form. Place it on your chin and put on your mask and your lips should stop being visible! I'll post photos when I get the chance to better explain the concept!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All great suggestions, you can also just sew or glue a thicker piece of fabric right over the mouth and nose area, blend it in and then your mouth won't show. I remember Iracel doing something similar in one of his excellent spidey threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just save up for a faceshell it's not expensive. Head over to the junkyard, TJack have his cheaper plastic shell going for $30 while stocklast. If u r doing Spider-Man costume in the long run it's going to be a worthy investment and 30 isn't expensive to begin with.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the motorcycle mask but it looked even worse so I'm going to try to use 2mm craft foam. Also instead of just returning or growing away the motorcycle mask I made a pretty sweet gambit mask.
imagejpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    459.6 KB · Views: 182
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back