McQuarrie X-Wing

No knowledge of that.
What did he do? I know he works for CHRONICLES ...last I heard.

PM me. No need to hijack this thread

I love this! Great work! I can't wait to break into mine.

I'm going to try time lapse photography to do a full build video on mine. I'm on the fence as to making it look like the actual painting like you did or giving it an ILM feel. I'm lready leaning toward ILM SINCE YOU CLEARLY NAILED the painting on this!

That would be awesome to watch. I hope it can get done.

Sean, beautiful build! Can you talk a bit about the color pallet you used? The subtle shades look great!

Finished up the Gorgeous Frank Cerney McQ Xwing! What a wonderful Studio Scale kit, and builds up so nice. I tried to replicate the panels as closely as possible to the original artwork, and took my own liberties on the wing coloring. The artwork from the rear seemed to indicate the intent was to have some panels on the wings. Very subtle, simple weathering. The long guns are just loosely mounted in the sockets, so they aren't quite perfect at this point. It's a wonderful display though, thanks to Frank for making this thing come to life!
-Sean
View attachment 700302View attachment 700293View attachment 700294View attachment 700295View attachment 700296View attachment 700297View attachment 700298View attachment 700299View attachment 700300View attachment 700301

- - - Updated - - -

And a few more from iphone

Hey Thanks Jamie!
It's all a custom blend, but basically a base flat white (Tamiya Fine Primer). IIRC, I used Testors enamel AMC gray, lightened with white to different tones for the gray side. Just masked with painters tape for the different panels. The orange was international orange, toned down a bit with white, then misted over with diluted white. Also, some lightened grays in the engines and on the wings, with some of the pen ink outlines to emphasize. Hope that helps.
Thanks again!
Sean

I used to have the 1/24 offered by REL back in the day, but I had to sell it :( I'd love got get another one!

I don't think (Nay I know) that I could do as nice a job as you, well done!

Thank you Darph!
Akumazeto, not sure what else I can add. If there's something specific, let me know. It's a great resin kit, that just takes the usual time to paint/detail.
Thanks,
Sean

Thank you Darph!
Akumazeto, not sure what else I can add. If there's something specific, let me know. It's a great resin kit, that just takes the usual time to paint/detail.
Thanks,
Sean

Did you do lights? If so pictures? What did you find was the most difficult part and why? Sorry mine is shipping tomorrow and just trying to get feedback is all.

Congrats, you'll love it! No, no lighting for me on this one. It definitely can be lit with a bit of coring/drilling though, so I'm sure that would look great. The only part that was a little difficult was building the laser cannons, since those all had to be done by scratch, but just do them in groups of four with the different tubes and you'll knock it right out. It's really just an all around enjoyable resin kit to build. Looking forward to your build!
Sean

Amazing Job as always Sean!

Note for newbies: The kit was made by Richard Long. He did an incredible job on the masters. I own the rights to the kit/masters and have made it available off and on.

-------

I'll have to start saving my pennies in anticipation of the next run! ;)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back