The Martian Space Suit

Hey guys so today i found out that i won 1of3 replica helmets from a competition run by reading cinemas here in australia. Not sure if its even 1.1 scale and the only pic of it is below. Its getting posted from 20th century fox and its suppose to be worth 500bucks so i can only assume its 1:1scale and accurate. As soon as it arrives in the post i can post close up shots and take any measurements if anyones interested?..
https://fbcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.n..._=1452711915_a43ddec4a9400a9ed07c61fee47772c5

Hey guys so today i found out that i won 1of3 replica helmets from a competition run by reading cinemas here in australia. Not sure if its even 1.1 scale and the only pic of it is below. Its getting posted from 20th century fox and its suppose to be worth 500bucks so i can only assume its 1:1scale and accurate. As soon as it arrives in the post i can post close up shots and take any measurements if anyones interested?..
https://fbcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.n..._=1452711915_a43ddec4a9400a9ed07c61fee47772c5

Congrats! That's a very awesome score. We've come to the conclusion it's an okay replica, but the proportions and sizing isn't perfect and it's missing the metal details, along with some other misc details. However, I'd be extremely excited if I won it regardless. Totally jealous.

I wish I had won one of those, the most obvious mistake on the helmet is the collar locking clamps, they are reversed!! How this got past Studio approval is amazing,it's the first thing I noticed when I looked at the helmet, luckily it's an easy fix, unless they are molded in, I think they are just glued on. I am really interested in the production technique used to create this promotional prop(vacu-form, injection molded). I can't wait for the photos.

There's so many details they got wrong with it but overall it's great looking at first glance and easily passable at a con :) would have loved getting one just to go on my local con in a week. One major complaint is that the visor seems to be very cloudy.

gurtband-mit-zierstreifen-polyester-45mm_70567_2.jpg2015-10-23_04-23-14.jpg

I finally got some luck and found a German retailer selling 45mm wide red webbing with black edges and ordered 2m of it. If anyone want a link to it just hit me with a PM or try doing a Google Image Search.

Edit:
Thanks to Thomasjbunce5 for the excellent Flickr images.

Last edited:
Hey WBE, have you figured out your method for anodizing those buckles yet?

I found two local shops doing anodizing professionally, I'll contact either of them with a request for my parts.

Edit:
I might run into some snags, if the so called "non-anodized" parts are in fact anodized but just not colored I have to pay for having them de-anodize them. And on Austrialpin's site they state what type of aluminum is used so I have to double check if they do anodizing on that specific type as well. Anodizing gives some remarkable properties to the surface such as extra strength and making it non-conductive.

Last edited:
I was under the assumption that the buckles that you posted in your most recent photo were anodized. Am I mixing them up with another set? (SO MANY BUCKLES!)

I was under the assumption that the buckles that you posted in your most recent photo were anodized. Am I mixing them up with another set? (SO MANY BUCKLES!)

I actually just received my anodized orange dog collar from contactleft. Haven't posted it yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445615179.737015.jpg

I plan on using the orange anodize spray by dupli color.

Just to be clear WBE, I did NOT use dupli-color's Metalcast anodizing spray to create this effect:

anodizedorange.jpg

This is an alcohol based transparent dye I ran through my airbrush that allows the natural shine of the aluminum to come through.

The dupli-color stuff looks to be more like a metallic spray paint, which may result in some loss of the finer details.
I've seen some pics online with decent results when applied correctly, but I have yet to experiment with it myself.

Attachments

• anodizedorange.jpg
    anodizedorange.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 42
  • anodizedorange.jpg
    anodizedorange.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 40
  • anodizedorange.jpg
    anodizedorange.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 41
  • anodizedorange.jpg
    anodizedorange.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 41
  • anodizedorange.jpg
    anodizedorange.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like the safest route would be to replicate your success. I'm gonna send the anodizing company a mail, good thing I signed up for two extra buckles from Bedon292's run. If I need more I can always order from that German supplier I mentioned a few posts above.

Oh wow! Totally missed that, Jeremy. I thought you just used the spray. Great work

Very helpful! Thank you!

I was hemming and hawing for a few weeks trying to determine if it was worth the cost of ordering them... wasn't sure if anyone was even interested. But I took the plunge. Hopefully the thread and material color will be close.

I look forward to my 2 for 1 discount! ;-)

View attachment 544867View attachment 544868

I finally got some luck and found a German retailer selling 45mm wide red webbing with black edges and ordered 2m of it. If anyone want a link to it just hit me with a PM or try doing a Google Image Search.

Edit:
Thanks to Thomasjbunce5 for the excellent Flickr images.

Looks like you would be able to just use a black marker pen on the edges of a red webbing to get the same effect.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back