Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

The box art with the Death Star was already discussed here. It's unlikely that this is true and probably poor stock art choices - as it also features OT TIE Fighter.

Pablo Hidalgo's comment: "I don't think box art has the power to confirm such things. :)"

sigh... this is not the news I wanted to wake up to.

I was in the camp glad to see Trevorrow go, but this is the last replacement I had hoped for. I mean, I liked TFA, and I'm grateful that its relative success restored a lot of what was good about the franchise. I fully admit Abrams had a lot to do with that. But he's also an awful story teller when you get into the details, and his crutch of mystery boxes does not make me hopeful for a satisfying finale to this trilogy.

it's spilled milk now though, he's not likely to be replaced. and who knows, maybe he'll pull it off... but I'm pretty sad about this.

And there went my hope for something better.

to paraphrase Yoda :p

There is, a-noth-er, tril-oh-gy

Apparently Peter Sciretta on the Slashfilm Podcast had this to say.

"On the emergency podcast discussing the J.J. Abrams news, Peter Sciretta has some interesting things to say about stuff he has heard from people who have seen The Last Jedi:
PS: Almost everybody I've talked to has really enjoyed it. Lucasfilm is supposedly over the moon with it. The singular thing that I hear from everybody is that it's different. And it's going to probably not sit well with some Star Wars fans. It's going to be divisive.
HTB: I think that's exciting.
PS: Yeah, that is exciting. One person I know that has seen the movie messaged me after this news came out saying that he's happy that J.J. Abrams is coming on because he, you know, didn't like some of the choices that Rian Johnson went with. So take that for what it's worth."

Last edited by a moderator:
The box art with the Death Star was already discussed here. It's unlikely that this is true and probably poor stock art choices - as it also features OT TIE Fighter.

Pablo Hidalgo's comment: "I don't think box art has the power to confirm such things. :)"

Yeah, they would have to be totally nuts to do another Death Star. They know even casual fans would call b.s. on that.

On Twitter Rian shares some Porg info...

"They are sea birds. Their coloring varies. Males are slightly larger than females. They can fly short distances. They're inquisitive."

I haven't seen many people discuss this, but are there plans for ANOTHER sequel trilogy? Or will this be the end of the Skywalker Star Wars movies?

Disney will release a Star Wars movie every couple years for the foreseeable future. My guess is after episode IX they will continue to make one-offs and they will hold back on the "episodes" until enough time has passed that returning to them will be a prestige event not unlike TFA or TPM... which obviously wouldn't have quite the impact given the brand will be alive and well.

Disney will release a Star Wars movie every couple years for the foreseeable future. My guess is after episode IX they will continue to make one-offs and they will hold back on the "episodes" until enough time has passed that returning to them will be a prestige event not unlike TFA or TPM... which obviously wouldn't have quite the impact given the brand will be alive and well.

The ultimate irony is having a saga film regularly is exactly what the original premise of SW was. Based on serials of the 40's/50's. The grand plan was 12 originally, before whitlling down to 9, then 6, before going back to 9. The possibly 12, or whatever they do next.

Personally, if it's the end of the skywalker story - start a new series. But either way, i think it important to keep the Saga part going. DON'T copy the marvel model directly. Use it as maybe a model. Possibly do it in reverse. Keep the saga going and have stand alone kind of like they're doing. Maybe they're used to add people/things/whatever to the main saga, maybe they stay stand alone. Hero's keep Marvel going. Not the avengers flicks. So, maybe flip it. the Saga keep SW going - not the stand alones. Use the stand alones to fill in gaps, back stories, plot holes, etc. If you want to break - break to a new series - go back 1000 years or forward a 1000 years, something with no connection to the current story. Then come back to the current story.

"On the emergency podcast discussing the J.J. Abrams news, Peter Sciretta has some interesting things to say about stuff he has heard from people who have seen The Last Jedi:
PS: Almost everybody I've talked to has really enjoyed it. Lucasfilm is supposedly over the moon with it. The singular thing that I hear from everybody is that it's different. And it's going to probably not sit well with some Star Wars fans. It's going to be divisive.
HTB: I think that's exciting.

Yeah because we need MORE divisiveness after the Prequels. That sounds to me like they really are going to screw up Luke and the Jedi. Lucasfilm is going to be "over the moon" on anything that generates the money of previous movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
break to a new series - go back 1000 years or forward a 1000 years

I think the same way, and would love to see this. I'm not so sure I'll like protosabers, but it'd be fantastic to see the first Jedi come up with the idea of a self-Force-powered lightsaber the way we know them now.

A long time from now, in a galaxy far,
far away....

STAR WARS - Episode XI - HARNESS THE FORCE

The only way I see this continuing with another skywalker trilogy is with Ben. He's got to turn to the light side but I find this hard to see, after all he killed Han Solo. No way Rey is a skywalker. Ben and Rey hook up maybe?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back