How will we feel if Luke Skywalker never sparks a lightsaber in TLJ

I never thought about Luke not using his lightsaber similar to Yoda in Empire Strikes Back. But honestly to me the bigger problem is still Luke somehow losing to Kylo Ren. If they don't have a good explanation for what happened then I'm probably out on this new trilogy. I'll stick with the Original Trilogy + Rogue One, which I still can't believe how good that turned out.

I never thought about Luke not using his lightsaber similar to Yoda in Empire Strikes Back. But honestly to me the bigger problem is still Luke somehow losing to Kylo Ren. If they don't have a good explanation for what happened then I'm probably out on this new trilogy. I'll stick with the Original Trilogy + Rogue One, which I still can't believe how good that turned out.

I get the sense Lukevwasnt there when that went down. He arrived to see the aftermath.

I think some of you guys sound like you must believe you work for The Ministry of Truth. ;) Just because they're both named George, doesn't mean you can combine the two worlds ya know! :lol

Yoda's speech meant 'teach Leia'. And that's it. I've known that since I was 8 years old. Again, because at that moment, she was the only 'Force Adept' left to teach. And at the end of Return of the Jedi, that was the last there was going to be of Star Wars.

Could there be other 'Force Sensitives' out there? Yes, but only because of Rogue One. Itself a somewhat revisionist movie in a sense that Disney/Lucas Film was scurrying to find a way to make more movies past Episode IX. (I'm not complaining that they did this mind you, I myself am glad they found a work-around because I want to see more Star Wars movies, and without the Force, there are no lightsabers. And I love lightsabers!) The inclusion of these Force Sensitives such as Chirrut Îmwe was their method of delivery. Now there are people who are attuned to the Force but they are not 'Force Adepts'. Can these Force Sensitives be taught about the Force? Sure. Can they do much with it? No, they cannot.

Why can't there be other Force Adepts in the Star Wars Universe? The PREQUELS! Qui-Gon was kind enough to point out that every child who was found to have potential Force abilities was brought to the Jedi Temple for training. And they were all slaughtered by The Chosen One. Anakin himself was a fluke that escaped their detection. Could others also have escaped their notice, sure. But remember, by the time of Return of the Jedi they were all wiped out. His mom was impregnated by the Force. A one-off virgin birth story line to tie in little religion along with a microscopic organism that floats around inside everyone in varying degrees.

Just as a side-tracked thought about creating future Jedi so that I don't forget it later... What about Midi-chlorian injections?

Imagine that toture ball sucking the Force out of all sorts of beings and then jabbing it into followers of the Dark Side. I'm sure the Jedi would have a much gentler approach to the method, but the results would be the same. Call it Jedi-Juice or Sith-Serum. ;)

Where was I yesterday... oh yeah, So...

5. Luke and Leia's children are the only Force Adepts. The Sith/Empire wouldn't give a second glance towards the Force Sensitives. But the Jedi might. So let's assume Luke begins to recruit Force Sensitives to train how to get in touch with their limited Force abilities, a little precognition here, a bit of gut-feeling there, and those are the students that Kylo picks to influence with thoughts about the Dark Side. It would give credence to the Knights of Ren being his lackeys, but he wouldn't have to worry about them usurping him.

6. Luke, Leia, Kylo, and eventually Rey, would be the only Force Adepts capable of building and charging lightsabers with the Force. So, unless Vader and the Emporer had a cache of seized lightsabers from their fallen victims, or there was a hidden Jedi bunker full of lightsabers meant to rearm the Order after a catastrophe, there won't be any lightsabers created beyond what comes from those made by the Skywalker family.

Maybe he had the chance but couldn't do it because of his compassion for his nephew-- Luke's passion and love has always been his biggest feature. Obi-Wan and Yoda both told him it would get him killed, that if he had any compassion for Vader there would be no way he'd win.

But they were wrong, and it's what brought Vader back.

I just assumed Luke could have stopped Kylo Ben, but basically "couldn't pull the trigger." It was his guilt over that more than anything else that pushed him into hiding.

Eh, I think the Rebels cartoon suggests that not everyone was found and/or wiped out. Bottom line is, if Disney wants to say "These folks survived/were never found," they have ample opportunity to do so and will do just that. So, we really can't predict going forward, at least not based on anything that GL did, and not based on anything we've seen so far.

I think some of you guys sound like you must believe you work for The Ministry of Truth. ;) Just because they're both named George, doesn't mean you can combine the two worlds ya know! :lol

Yoda's speech meant 'teach Leia'. And that's it. I've known that since I was 8 years old. Again, because at that moment, she was the only 'Force Adept' left to teach. And at the end of Return of the Jedi, that was the last there was going to be of Star Wars.

I don't know what movie you saw then. I saw ROTJ when I was 6 in 1983 and know he meant rebuild the Jedi. See that latter proves nothing because none of us are George Lucas.

Why can't there be other Force Adepts in the Star Wars Universe? The PREQUELS! Qui-Gon was kind enough to point out that every child who was found to have potential Force abilities was brought to the Jedi Temple for training. And they were all slaughtered by The Chosen One. Anakin himself was a fluke that escaped their detection. Could others also have escaped their notice, sure. But remember, by the time of Return of the Jedi they were all wiped out. His mom was impregnated by the Force. A one-off virgin birth story line to tie in little religion along with a microscopic organism that floats around inside everyone in varying degrees.

Qui-Gon said children born in the Republic would have been identified at birth. The Republic isn't in control of the entire galaxy. Anakin wasn't a fluke, he was born in Hutt space, outside of the Republic's jurisdiction. That means he wasn't tested. Lucas even said there are other Force users besides the Jedi. So no all the Force users in the entire SW galaxy weren't killed with Order 66.

Also just because people don't like the Prequels, they're still canon. Just because I didn't like TFA, it's still canon. You still have to work your theory inside of the lore that Lucas created, whether you like it or him.

"Luke, when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be. The force runs strong in your family, pass on what you have learned. Luke, there is another Sk Sky wal ker. "
Interperate that how you you want but that is all Yoda said.

Anyway, this lightsaber. Whether he lights it up or not, I feel sure we will see it. On a shelf in his man cave just like us prop lovers. :)

"Its not what you know, its what you can prove!"

Point to something from the time of ROTJ that proves this.

I don't need to. No one here can prove that "pass on what you have learned." line meant to just train Leia either. Unless one of you is George Lucas.

I don't know how anyone thinks that after Yoda spent over 800 years of his life with the Jedi that he would be just cool with letting it end there.

I agree, but I recall everyone greatly anticipating witnessing Yoda wield a lightsaber only to get lame CG-fest... It just never felt right. It was better left to the imagination.

It just better serve the story and not be hamfisted in there to please fans...

I don't need to. No one here can prove that "pass on what you have learned." line meant to just train Leia either. Unless one of you is George Lucas.

I don't know how anyone thinks that after Yoda spent over 800 years of his life with the Jedi that he would be just cool with letting it end there.

Exactly. No one here, including you, can prove one specific meaning. There is zero evidence to support any specific conclusion. Your feeling of what it meant is no more valid than anyone else's. It was left ambiguous because, as we now know, GL didn't even know what it meant. He constantly changed his version of the story until 22 years later in ROTS when he has Yoda say something specific about it.

Going back to 1983, though, considering Yoda first speaks of passing on what Luke has learned, then mentions another Skywalker, its most likely that that was what he was referring to. Thats the most logical conclusion. Anything else was speculation at best. Then when you add the EU, then ROTS, we have more evidence (in reality the story changed) so we can come to another conclusion.

But in 83, you're saying you knew without a doubt that GL was talking about Jedi academies and starting some new monastic order, well thats a nice story, but if you can't point to anything in one of the films, a novelization, some interview, then basically you just pulled it from out of nowhere.

Exactly.

Exactly. No one here, including you, can prove one specific meaning. There is zero evidence to support any specific conclusion.

Well....I wouldn't say that.

From Luke Skywalker's official biography on starwars.com, which text has been present for many years:

Returning to his friends, Luke saw a trio of Force spirits -- Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin, redeemed by his sacrifice. Luke's love for his father had saved the galaxy, and brought about a chance to restore the Republic and the Jedi Order.

Exactly.

Well....I wouldn't say that.

From Luke Skywalker's official biography on starwars.com, which text has been present for many years:

Returning to his friends, Luke saw a trio of Force spirits -- Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin, redeemed by his sacrifice. Luke's love for his father had saved the galaxy, and brought about a chance to restore the Republic and the Jedi Order.

That's post ROTS, though, which I addressed. We were speaking specifically about the time when ROTJ was released.

This thread stays at the top of the page and the official TLJ thread stays at the bottom...

What does that tell you?

That there's no real news about TLJ to speak of, so in the meantime we'll talk about other inane things. Welcome to fandom in 2017.

Exactly. No one here, including you, can prove one specific meaning. There is zero evidence to support any specific conclusion.

But in 83, you're saying you knew without a doubt that GL was talking about Jedi academies and starting some new monastic order, well thats a nice story, but if you can't point to anything in one of the films, a novelization, some interview, then basically you just pulled it from out of nowhere.

I just said that a post or two ago! I am agreeing. No one besides Lucas knows what he meant. As for the 1983 comment, I said that because Ridire Firean stated that he knew when he was 8 that it meant whatever like because of that it's canon. I countered that and said that neither of us knows, so when we knew whatever we believe is meaningless.

This is what you said:

I saw ROTJ when I was 6 in 1983 and know he meant rebuild the Jedi.

Then when pressed to backup that statement, you changed your story.

Anyway, I hope Luke doesn't ever use a lightsaber in these movies. Beyond looking silly for someone in Hamill's shape to do so, I think it would be better storywise to show that Luke has moved beyond needing a lightsaber to settle things.

As for the 1983 comment, I said that because Ridire Firean stated that he knew when he was 8 that it meant whatever like because of that it's canon.

Correct. In 1980 we learned that:

Obi-Wan Kenobi "That boy is our last hope."

Yoda "No. There is another."

Another, not several, not an endless supply of other beings that can summon the Force, a singular person in which hope could be found if Luke failed.

In 1983 we learned:

Yoda to Luke "Luke, when gone am I(cough),the last of the Jedi will you be. Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke... (with great effort) There is...another...Sky...Sky...walker.

We also had a confirmation of who was available to be that hope and we learned who that other Skywalker was:

Luke "I can't kill my own father."

Obi-Wan Kenobi "Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope."

Luke "Yoda spoke of another."

Obi-Wan Kenobi "The other he spoke of is your twin sister."

Luke "But I have no sister."

Obi-Wan Kenobi "Hmm. To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous."

Luke "Leia! Leia's my sister."

Obi-Wan Kenobi "Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit. But they could be made to serve the Emperor."

Since Darth Vader killed the Emperor, and then died himself from the injuries he sustained in doing so, that left of us with just two Force capable people: Luke, and Leia.

You know that is called?...

C...A...N...O...N

Everything else is just revisionist spinning to keep the story going. I appreciate that the story can continue because of it. But do not for one second try and discount the validity of my statement due to the age at which I learned the truth that there were only two possible Jedi left.

Now then, I suggest we let Anakin Starkiller's thread return to how we will feel if Luke never sparks a lightsaber in The Last Jedi.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back