Stargate Iris question

replicaprops

Official Licensee
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I did a quick mockup of the Stargate Iris with laser cut cardboard. In the show, the tips of all the blades are visible. It appears that the blades are assembled in a certain order to accomplish this visual appearance. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to arrange the blades? I arranged them clockwise and they came out wrong, only one half of the blade tips is visible.
20746766_1726109804078873_1502698822_o.jpg20750678_1726109750745545_1528470987_n.jpgIris.jpg

Ah, that makes sense. The article mentions that the blades are not perfectly flat either, so that also makes more sense as to why the tips stick forward, but the rest looks flat. The tips must be slightly bent forward. Let me try that with a flat acrylic, and then heat bend the acrylic to bring those tips forward. Good info Win7ermute.

I think it might just be that your blade material is too think for the overall dimension ? There is some good stuff in here:

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/13693/where-does-the-iris-on-the-sgc-stargate-retract-to

Yeah, it's total fiction. It's also completely flat in the show with the "flower" of blade tips in the center being the only protrusion and it's not possible to get the blades that tight and flat and still have it operate the way it does. You could do it if the material was thin enough to overlap, but then it wouldn't look quite the same.

I always think of the air shaft doors in the Nostromo. Those operated but never fully closed.

Last edited:
If it is a simple visual effect, how can we explain this video? Personally, I think it is possible.
Yeah, it's total fiction. It's also completely flat in the show with the "flower" of blade tips in the center being the only protrusion and it's not possible to get the blades that tight and flat and still have it operate the way it does. You could do it if the material was thin enough to overlap, but then it wouldn't look quite the same.

I always think of the air shaft doors in the Nostromo. Those operated but never fully closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note the part where I said... "You could do it if the material was thin enough to overlap, but then it wouldn't look quite the same."

Those are very thin sheets overlapping eachother, and the circle in the center is produced because the sheets are transparent and you're seeing part of the blades through the other blades. If they were solid and opaque like the show, it wouldn't look like that.

Note the part where I said... "You could do it if the material was thin enough to overlap, but then it wouldn't look quite the same."

Those are very thin sheets overlapping eachother, and the circle in the center is produced because the sheets are transparent and you're seeing part of the blades through the other blades. If they were solid and opaque like the show, it wouldn't look like that.

I hadn't considered the transparency, good eye on that one. Hmm. I have some thin stock here, I'm going to try it with the thinnest rigid material I can, and see what happens.

I really like the one in the YT vid you posted.

(especially the 'knob')..

I'd like to attempt the same with my laser cutter/lathe.

Does that video have any plans available for use by chance?

update:

Apparently so:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hnvmtf7ak9at1aw/AACylPueOzb-4CD-jKivNLyHa?dl=0

However the file format is not something I can open.

I have no CAD program(s)..

if anyone can/does open these up, can you please post a vector version of the files? (thanks)

Getting closer. I cant test function with paper though. Even cardstock is too flexible to handle the stress. The blades pop out of gear instantly. I'll keep working till I get it.
20793650_1726858020670718_1815572138_o.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back