Solo: A Star Wars Story

OH! and I was pushing like crazy in the room to bring Mark Hammil in. They were saying "he's tooo old"... I'm like "Screw that, I wanna meet Luke!"

I was ignored.

Too old? Just look at his work as the Trickster on the Flash.
Mark still has it and this is coming from someone who hates the Skywalker family.

Now back to bashing Solo.

I ,for one, think its one of the best trailers for a SW film I've ever seen.
Its got a beat that starts with those switches clicking on and it just builds until the very end.It gives off a vibe like a heist movie ( the train sequence reminds me alot of a "Firefly" episode) and it seems to promise quite a bit of the legend of Han Solo while obviously giving it its own update. I've watched it ten times in a row and probably about twenty in total its that catchy.
Its a damn sight better then anybody would have given it credit for just a week ago, the cast seems pretty good and I really enjoyed seeing the Falcon ,the planetary backgrounds and the VFX work looked very very strong. It feels very SW to me in the way R1 did.
Its certainly booked a ticket from me to go see, so its done its job. I hope its a great success because I want to like it the way I've hugely enjoyed the Marvel films and it may help influence where Lucasfilm and Disney go again in the future ie old school OT with Ben Kenobi.
BUT. I have a right to my opinion on how I feel about Alden.
It will be harder for me to simply accept him than the likes of Mr Elgot because I'm a huge fan of what he did with his character in "Baby Driver". Alden does not give that "hardman with a heart" vibe that stronger actors can, simply by virtue of physical stature. Elgot nailed that solidly in "Baby Driver", but I know Alden can do comedy from "Hail Caeser". . ...I kind of feel sorry for the lad, it took guts to step into that role knowing what flack he would get, I hope he has made something of it.
This doesn't mean I " hate" him in the part. Thats too strong a word. Its just my impression of the man in that character from a tiny number of scenes. As I pointed out earlier its strange, he looks and feels like Han in that Speeder racing scene, but less so in others. I doubt I will feel cheated if the rest of the film is upto scratch , which to judge from the trailer it seems to be.
If I were at Disney and Lucasfilm I'd heave a sigh of relief. They've earned it. This was a great trailer, a victory dragged out from the hungry jaws of the doom monsters .
BUT.
The movie really needs to deliver on this promising start.

Oh and here's charlies update on the trailer. This guy is sharp as a tack (and he spotted the dice again!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRC1s26Gu74

Last edited:
38200a1857cd1c7ab4a4eed485753325.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much what I expected to see. Totally unimpressed with AE. He has the same problem that a lot of Euro actors have trying to play an American accent. Always sounds like they're talking with their noses pinched shut. He also sounds like he's too high pitched. Face is all wrong. It would be okay if he merely looked as friendly as Ford typically looks, but he doesn't....not at all. Kind of looks bad-guyish if you get right down to it.

The "Everything's fine" call-back was a serious groaner.

Cthulu shows up for some reason. Because the Falcon has to do something with giant animals ever since the asteroid worm?

The robot looks like Alpha-5 and the name DD-BD sounds like that noise Twiki made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much what I expected to see. Totally unimpressed with AE. He has the same problem that a lot of Euro actors have trying to play an American accent. Always sounds like they're talking with their noses pinched shut. He also sounds like he's too high pitched. Face is all wrong. It would be okay if he merely looked as friendly as Ford typically looks, but he doesn't....not at all. Kind of looks bad-guyish if you get right down to it.

Cthulu shows up for some reason. Because the Falcon has to do something with giant animals ever since the asteroid worm?

The robot looks like Alpha-5 and the name DD-BD sounds like that noise Twiki made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5YlXhpi0g

Alden is from LA.

Not gonna lie. I'm kind of hoping that they're in some other YT, and they pull the old bait and switch, and have han win a beat up older YT, that's the falcon, right before credits roll.

Not gonna happen. This altered version of the Falcon exists for one purpose, and one purpose only...to sell toys and models. Disney's saying with it, "Hey all you fanboys, who have spent tons of money on toys and models of the Falcon! Well, get out your wallets, because there's a new Falcon toy and model you need to buy, lest your collection will be incomplete , and an embarrassment to your fandom!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5YlXhpi0g

#TriggerMeTimbers

Visually it looks fine and has some interesting shots. But AE as Han Solo is just not working for me. To be fair, that's been my issue from the beginning with the whole concept of the movie. It's hard for me to imagine anyone pulling off a believable young Han, partly because Han wasn't even that old to begin with in ANH.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back