The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

What's the best way to attach the Armitage sink knob?
I believe a pretty common method is a carriage bolt through the end, which everything else fits over/threads onto - that's how mine is set up:

OB1 010.jpg

The american 1/4" square shoulder carriage bolts are a bit small, but just enough to nearly match the square hole on the sink knob!

where are y'all finding these "training" grenades with paint on them?!

Here's my baby. All real parts. Still need to add the transistors and a d-ring. I'm super nervous about drilling the handwheel for the d-ring, though. Not sure I'll ever add that to mine.

View attachment 719789

Mine is just a pressure fit and its jammed on there good. It would probably take a lot to get it off the threaded part of the booster.

Yeah I'm skipping the D ring too... I don't want to risk it. Also my sink knob is just pressed onto the booster... mine is not tight, but it won't fall off either.

Still need to add a d-ring. I'm super nervous about drilling the handwheel for the d-ring, though. Not sure I'll ever add that to mine.

Perhaps James Kenobi 1138 could assist? Though you'll have to take the pommel off the saber ... here's James's tutorial :

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=113901

Yeah I'm skipping the D ring too... I don't want to risk it.

Even if you did get your hands on a real vintage G R A F L E X case D-ring? :$

Chaïm

Here's my baby. All real parts. Still need to add the transistors and a d-ring. I'm super nervous about drilling the handwheel for the d-ring, though. Not sure I'll ever add that to mine.

View attachment 719789

Mine is just a pressure fit and its jammed on there good. It would probably take a lot to get it off the threaded part of the booster.

Perhaps James Kenobi 1138 could assist? Though you'll have to take the pommel off the saber ... here's James's tutorial :

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=113901

Even if you did get your hands on a real vintage G R A F L E X case D-ring? :$

Chaïm

But I haven't :(

Yeah I'm skipping the D ring too... I don't want to risk it. Also my sink knob is just pressed onto the booster... mine is not tight, but it won't fall off either.

I drilled mine and Edraven's and it went pretty easily. Nerve racking, yes, but it's done!

Still don't have an actual D-ring in yet... but the hole is there for it.

Do iiiiit.

At times I wished I would have been content with my very, very first ready made OB1 ANH replica lightsaber ... I presume made by Parks (?) ... it already looked remarkebly old and vintage to me before Russrep and Romans Empire took over . . . so before I post my all real vintage parts lightsaber when it will be completed ... here's what made me really excited back in 2005 or so :

Parks-Obi-Wan_zps8018c522.jpg

Now let's return to adding multiple pictures of those real vintage parts lightsabers ... :)

Chaïm

Last edited:
Actually both of my display sink knobs are drilled if anyone wants to do a swap for one that isn't drilled... however, both are re-chromed, one has a small flake out of it because the dumba** I see when I look into a mirror accidentally dropped it, and the other is a bath knob and would need to have a hacksaw taken to the inside stem to make the booster fit properly...

I can't stress enough how much i want a real perts Obi but i know i will never own one due for it's uber-rare and even more expensive parts!
My wife would kill me... probably at night with a real parts saber hit while i'm sleeping... :lol

Anyway, i can drool over all these pictures at least! Gorgeous!

I can't wait to post in this thread as well. Just waiting for the grenade (it's only been like 8 years :cry) to complete everything. This is what happens when you are picky about accuracy and trying to find a grenade in good condition at the same time. Still holding out hope that it will happen one day :)

Shinobi ... you are allowed to show pictures of your vintage saber in progress even if some parts are still replicas as long as you mention it, that way we also get a clear picture how many rpf members are collecting vintage parts and how many are being build at this moment in time :)

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator:
And ... did you get yours finished?

Chaïm

Ended up spending most of my weekend looking for a place to live/store my props. heh.

I DID get the D-ring on, but now want to redo that... I cut some of it away to make it easier to get on, and now when it flops to one side, you can see it opened (if that makes sense). My OCD is going to have me redoing it. So I'll get one added into my Roy order in the next weeks.

Tonight I just gotta shave down the bubble strip, and I'll post something as an "in the mean time" version

I also took a bunch of paint off the grenade, and am still trying to get just the right weathered look.

So all that said... nope. :D

But I'll post something tonight, cuz now that I have to be moved in 3 weeks, I may not get to mess around with anything for a bit.

Last edited:
Why not add a piece of the same size wire with some JB weld inbetween to cover that gap in your D? That's the prop-makers way of fixing your OCD :wacko Looking forward to your pictures :)

Chaïm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back