M134 Predator Minigun Ol' Painless, building a exact replica with Real parts!

AdrenalinReaper

THIS IS ONLY GOING TO BE A VERY ACCURATE PROP/DUMMY GUN! NOT A FUNCTIONING WEAPON!!!
ALL LAWS GOVERNED BY THE A.T.F. IN HANDELING DEMILITARIZED PROPERTY WILL BE STRICTLY FOLLOWED. "FOR ALL THE FLAG WAVERS........."

Hello all, I'm here to "painfully" start a project. I have been acquiring the accurat parts for a while now to build a perfect genuine replica M134 Minigun from Predator. This Thread will include very good incite to how the gun is assembled and what specific parts were used during filming, since there are continuity issues with how the gun was set up in the movie I will include all parts to adapt from a scene by scene recreation. "May include parts to adapt to the T2 configuration as well." Most probably are unaware that there are many difference between the guns components between the movies, but I've found even the best reprentations have got it wrong in major ways, the grip, the motor, the pins, the gear drives, the feeder delinker shields and link discharge chute, all differant between T2 and Predator. All replicas of Ol'Painless have focused on the fore grip and top rail only and left the rest of the actual gun alone still in the T2 form. So with out dragging on lets get started.

The Parts Groups
1st the main components, and hardest to acquire. The Rotor, and Rotor Housing aka Reciever. These components where demilitarized, making them non guns or scrap metal. Welding the housing up requires following very strict rules set forth by the A.T.F. In order to render it still a non gun or dummy. Asensually making it near impossible to retun it to functional operation, and preventing a factory rotor from being installed in to the housing again. The rotor itself will require no need for repair due to being hidden inside the housing. It will need to be modified to allow installation, at the same time preventing the bolt assemblies from tracking.

2nd the barrels x6, and the barrel clamp, or "rings" so commonly called on this forum. The barrels are new, and the barrel clamp was demilled, so it's shown in the process of repair. The clamp still requires a hole to be drilled and a self locking insert nut to be installed. A custom mounting screw will be made for this as well.

3rd the feeder delinker and internals,demilled and requiring major restoration. lots of small parts internally that need attention. My goal is for it to function by properly delinking the dummy rounds from the links and dropping both links and casings seperatly on the ground upon a triggers pull.

4th the motor, original GE 2spd drive motor from an M28 series turret mounted in an AH-1G Cobra Helicopter. This motor has a very noticeable 90 degree drive exiting the rear of the motor. This drove a 4000rd ammo feed drum. Note the T2 motor was actually an off the shelf Dayton or equivalent replacement motor modified to except the modern single spd gear drive. This is what most replicas have replicated.

5th Gears, Pins, Bearings, bolts, and screws. All very specific and all new or like new condition.

6th the bolt assemblies x6, worn out but great for dummy guns. These will be modified and permanently fixed into the rotor to simulate function and perfect static display.

7th the mounting system, all custom except for the trigger grip is from and xm93 mount, the GE short recoil adapters, and an M60 front grip. The xm93 grip doesn't have a thumb switch and neither did the movie gun"in either film" the scene where Ventura flips the safety off is just for illusion, same as when cocking the barrels over to prep the gun. You really do rotate the barrels over buy hand to prime the gun but only till it drop a few links and always in the same direction, 5-6 full revolutions. The the fore grip is a M60 front grip. There are rumors that there are other m60 components holding the grip on, but this is false it was all custom and I will show why during construction of the grip mount.

8th the feed chute, and ammo pack. Feed chute is standard ordnance and has a specific gun end used on the M134 and M60, and the other end is the standard clothes pin style ammo can fixture. The ammo pack is made up of an early 70's Alice Pack frame and shoulder straps and an XM23 M60D 600rd Ammo can.
there were no cargo racks installed on the pack frame as seen on some replicas and the can was held on buy 2 straps custom tailored, not the known available cargo straps, and a few pieces of olive drab "duct" tape.

I'm sure I left something out but we will get to it as the build come together. The picture are random showing some grouping and pre-assembly. Again more photos and details to come as the build begins.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike J. The minigun weighs about 65lbs but with the loaded ammo pack with feed chute and carry mounts.....?my guess is around 125lbs, 80lbs if you leave out the ammo. When it's complete we can weigh it. [emoji6]

I will be cursing all day when I ware this thing at a con. But it will be worth it though. No pain no gain.

I thought this was going to another boring build...having flown with the gau-2 I normally look at these minigun builds and cringe. This however is quite the opposite. Here's a question for you though. How do you plan to have the feeder delinker delink and drop the Ammo? It's not designed to do so. It only has the route for the links to fall out and to "feed" the round into the housing where the bolt would then pick it up. And send it into the breach and fire it etc....and then the bolt would extract the casing and it would be ejected out. And are you using the motor at the full on speed. Not sure what the torque would feel like but I imagine it being ridiculous. I'm curious to know how it feels. Good luck with this. Either way it's going to look awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fett 4 Real, great questions! The cool part about building the Predator version is I'll be using all G.E. Parts not Dillon or Garwood. The original General Electric feeder has a large solenoid on it, "same as the current guns clutch solenoid" the solenoid on the early feeders operated a set of ramp style fingers, so when you let go of the triggers, it would eject live rounds from the feeder before they fed to the rotor.

Note the last picture of the feeder the solenoid and ejection linkage is visible.

yes I'll operate it at 6000rds a min but it's a 2spd motor and I'll have the option of a more maintainable 3000rds a min. The torque really isn't as bad as you'd think, my only reason for wanting to slow it down would be the mess of brass and links I'd have to pick up and relink. If I run it on 12 volts I could reduce those numbers in 1/2 again too.

You're going to scare so many security guards. :cool :lol

@Mike J. The minigun weighs about 65lbs but with the loaded ammo pack with feed chute and carry mounts.....?my guess is around 125lbs, 80lbs if you leave out the ammo. When it's complete we can weigh it. [emoji6]

I will be cursing all day when I ware this thing at a con. But it will be worth it though. No pain no gain.

Yeah it will be challenging to prove its no longer a firearm and only a dummy. Funny thing is the only way it will hurt anyone ever again is if it's dropped on someone's foot.

I know the carry mount is T2, but just a few pics to show some progress on the gun it self. The Reciever is still demilitarized and in 3 separate pieces. Just a few more small parts to finish and then complete the predator carry mount.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back