Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

I couldn't find anything indicating that someone was attached to compose the score for this, and sadly, Ron Howard's go-to composer James Horner is no longer with us. It looks like RH has been working with Zimmer lately - who I dig, but I'm not sure if he's a good fit for a SW movie.

Still, the original POTC is a fantastic score and one could draw theoretical comparisons between the tones of a Caribbean Pirate movie and a Space Pirate movie, musically speaking.

Ron Howard. This will begin to make things right :thumbsup
Gentlemen-you-had-my-curiosity…-but-now-you-have-my-attention.jpg

If both Glover and Alden have a great vision with their characters, and Lord & Miller gave the star concerns, I would think Howard reshooting the wacky smuggler Ventura crap should make this an interesting film. Howard and Lucas are buds, this gives me a nice comfort, especially since the star was concerned with the direction and he wanted something more serious. I still hope this is an action heist film with pirates and smugglers. Have everyone as the bad guys, but have Han and Lando be the bad guys with a better moral code than the others.

Sounds like Alden is taking it seriously.

[Before I reply to this, let me define what "Star Wars IQ" means to me. A person's Star Wars IQ, or SWIQ, is based on not just how much they know about Star Wars, but also their understanding of what it is that makes a good Star Wars movie. In other words, not just facts like, the Bothans stole the plans to the second Death Star, not the first. But also a person's Star Wars sensibilities, like knowing and understanding *why* Han shooting first radically alters his character for the worse. Han shooting first is an obvious example, that everyone agrees about, but there are more subtle ones--like how fast Vader walks, for instance. I'm talking about the myriad decisions, that go into every Star Wars movie, that many of us disagree about.

So, while virtually all of us score high on the first part, the factual part, of the SWIQ formula. Many fans' SWIQs are brought down in my estimation because they don't understand why something in a Star Wars movie detracts from it being an authentic Star Wars movie. Each of us, no doubt, thinks he possesses a SWIQ that's through the roof. And we're constantly judging the SWIQs we perceive others to have.

I like Bryancd. But even though I recognize he has an exceptionally high knowledge base of Star Wars facts (like most of us do), his SWIQ is brought down in my estimation, because he's demonstrated to me time and time again that he doesn't really understand what makes a great Star Wars film. Then there's a guy like Panthergem, who in addition to having a high knowledge base of Star Wars facts, he also possesses a keen understanding of all the less tangible elements which are needed to make an authentic Star Wars film. And so I consider him to have an exceptionally high SWIQ. Basically, what it boils down to, is ,we judge others to have a high SWIQ if they tend to agree with us, and to have a lower SWIQ if they tend to disagree with us. Nothing surprising--that's human nature.

Having said all of that, I possess an extraordinarily high SWIQ, and now that I've defined what it means to me for you, I will proceed to my reply to Bryan.]

I don't know anything about Alden's SWIQ. He may score decently on the factual part, but probably no where near as high as we RPFers score. But maybe he's a lifelong fanboy of the franchise, I dunno. As for the second part of his SWIQ--his sensibilities and judgments about what does and doesn't belong in a Star Wars film--I also have no idea how high he scores on this.

Alden didn't write the movie. He's just an actor, I get it. But regardless of who's idea it was, if he's doing or saying things in this movie that are antithetical to the character we know so well, I'll hate it.

And in regards to that snippet you posted above, I find it hard to believe that it was AE who pointed out to KK (via a producer) that this film was resembling the Keystone Cops. He may've had his concerns. If true, that could foretell that he possesses a high SWIQ. But the notion that KK wasn't aware of it, and only watched the dailies after AE raised the alarm in her, is just preposterous. If we know anything about KK, we know she is watching every aspect of this production like a hawk.

At any rate, Alden's got a lot to overcome--beginning with his diminutive stature and lack of facial resemblance. But if his SWIQ is lacking, too, this film will bomb in my mind and heart.

The Wook

I think it's much more crucial to stay true to the characters than the SW film style. No matter what kind of movie this is, you have to be able to picture Harrison Ford & Billy Dee Williams speaking the same lines in some long-forgotten OT cut scene.

The thing is, if you get the characters right, then they won't stand for the movie being stupid. They will say & do things that start making it cool. If that isn't possible then they would literally get bored and leave in the first act. You can't picture the OT characters voluntarily staying involved in something very uncool/stupid.

[Before I reply to this, let me define what "Star Wars IQ" means to me. A person's Star Wars IQ, or SWIQ, is based on not just how much they know about Star Wars, but also their understanding of what it is that makes a good Star Wars movie. In other words, not just facts like, the Bothans stole the plans to the second Death Star, not the first. But also a person's Star Wars sensibilities, like knowing and understanding *why* Han shooting first radically alters his character for the worse. Han shooting first is an obvious example, that everyone agrees about, but there are more subtle ones--like how fast Vader walks, for instance. I'm talking about the myriad decisions, that go into every Star Wars movie, that many of us disagree about.

So, while virtually all of us score high on the first part, the factual part, of the SWIQ formula. Many fans' SWIQs are brought down in my estimation because they don't understand why something in a Star Wars movie detracts from it being an authentic Star Wars movie. Each of us, no doubt, thinks he possesses a SWIQ that's through the roof. And we're constantly judging the SWIQs we perceive others to have.

I like Bryancd. But even though I recognize he has an exceptionally high knowledge base of Star Wars facts (like most of us do), his SWIQ is brought down in my estimation, because he's demonstrated to me time and time again that he doesn't really understand what makes a great Star Wars film. Then there's a guy like Panthergem, who in addition to having a high knowledge base of Star Wars facts, he also possesses a keen understanding of all the less tangible elements which are needed to make an authentic Star Wars film. And so I consider him to have an exceptionally high SWIQ. Basically, what it boils down to, is ,we judge others to have a high SWIQ if they tend to agree with us, and to have a lower SWIQ if they tend to disagree with us. Nothing surprising--that's human nature.

Having said all of that, I possess an extraordinarily high SWIQ, and now that I've defined what it means to me for you, I will proceed to my reply to Bryan.]

I don't know anything about Alden's SWIQ. He may score decently on the factual part, but probably no where near as high as we RPFers score. But maybe he's a lifelong fanboy of the franchise, I dunno. As for the second part of his SWIQ--his sensibilities and judgments about what does and doesn't belong in a Star Wars film--I also have no idea how high he scores on this.

Alden didn't write the movie. He's just an actor, I get it. But regardless of who's idea it was, if he's doing or saying things in this movie that are antithetical to the character we know so well, I'll hate it.

And in regards to that snippet you posted above, I find it hard to believe that it was AE who pointed out to KK (via a producer) that this film was resembling the Keystone Cops. He may've had his concerns. If true, that could foretell that he possesses a high SWIQ. But the notion that KK wasn't aware of it, and only watched the dailies after AE raised the alarm in her, is just preposterous. If we know anything about KK, we know she is watching every aspect of this production like a hawk.

At any rate, Alden's got a lot to overcome--beginning with his diminutive stature and lack of facial resemblance. But if his SWIQ is lacking, too, this film will bomb in my mind and heart.

The Wook
I agree with Wook on this one... I hope Alden is like Adam Driver (yes yes late your hating begin) in the fact that he sat down for hours, days, and weeks on end watching every move that Vader moved in the other films, along with studying the elements of Vader's actions and how he can manipulate them to create his perfect character. Maybe Alden Has done this with Harrison Fords Han Solo already or maybe he hasnt but I guess we will have to wait until the big reveal when it comes out right?
Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Sounds like Alden is taking it seriously.

Thank god they are out.... I seriously had no interest in this movie because of the directors. And feared exactly what that screen capture stated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy geeze I can't believe you typed all that. You are the most knowledgeable about why a SW film is a SW film (hence why you dislike the newer movies) but people that don't agree with you aren't knowledgeable fans?

Yowzer fandom can be wacky folks.

I'm happy with Ron Howard and I think he will do a good job. I loved TFA and am finally warming up to R1 and both of those movies had rocky starts. I'm confident now with Disney stepping in and making the right changes.

The Wook

I think I've been insulted but I am not entirely sure. :)

So if one's subjective opinion on what makes a good Star Wars film doesn't jibe with your own subjective opinion it has less value? So by your criteria anyone who enjoyed TFA and R1 have SWIQ's brought down by that subjective response to a creative work? No need to answer, I assume that answer is in the affirmative. Moving on from that nonsense...

Regarding the bit I posted, I have no idea if it's even accurate but it doesn't suggest any concern Alden had for how his character was being portrayed was the reason KK became involved and concerned, simply that it could have been one of many reasons she would have such concern. Clearly Lord and Millers departure was the result of a death by a thousand cuts and not attributable to one single occurance.

Now that we are hearing how "zany" this was turning out to be, I'm seeing why they cast Glover. To play up the comedy. I can imagine L&M directing him to stroke his mustache after every joke.

Hilarious.

Now that we are hearing how "zany" this was turning out to be, I'm seeing why they cast Glover. To play up the comedy. I can imagine L&M directing him to stroke his mustache after every joke.

Hilarious.

It does seem it was heading that direction and using my admittedly limited SWIQ that is certainly a bridge too far for any Star Wars film and certainly not keeping with the character of Han Solo. His humor is in his casualness when faced with difficult odds and how that works out in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm happy with Ron Howard and I think he will do a good job. I loved TFA and am finally warming up to R1 and both of those movies had rocky starts. I'm confident now with Disney stepping in and making the right changes.

My 4 year ld son had requested two re watchings of Rogue One this past week. :) One could say one's SWIQ is boosted by actually having children and seeing it through their eyes. I'm sure @Wook would disagree.

Boy geeze I can't believe you typed all that. You are the most knowledgeable about why a SW film is a SW film (hence why you dislike the newer movies) but people that don't agree with you aren't knowledgeable fans?

Lol...well, I didn't set out to write all that. But I just wanted to be clear. And yet, you're misunderstanding me. Of course they're knowledgeable.

But there's knowledge...and then there's *knowledge*. ;)

Lol...well, I didn't set out to write all that. But I just wanted to be clear. And yet, you're misunderstanding me. Of course they're knowledgeable.

But there's knowledge...and then there's *knowledge*. ;)

Actually to be fair I don't really know all the and minor details of the films, books, comics or games even though I consume a lot of it. Its sort of slides right by. So my SWIQ is even lower now.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back