Buckaroo Banzai Jet Car costume

geekdriver

Hey all I am looking to replicate the costume buckaroo banzai wears when he is piloting the jet car.

Trying to get a start on nailing down the type of black coverall he is wearing. Any ideas?

I was thinking maybe a vintage skydiving coverall, but then I noticed the plug at the end of his left wrist which makes me think of a vintage cooling suit.

Buckaroo Banzai.pngvlcsnap-2017-06-02-09h15m34s049.png

I grabbed a few more screen shots. Looks like there were possibly two suits, one "clean" and one "dirty"

vlcsnap-2017-06-02-10h23m25s793.png

vlcsnap-2017-06-02-10h28m35s235.png

Looks like a high altitude flight suit. Probably they just slapped some tubing onto a black coverall... Still curious to know if any of y'all know if this is an actual flight suit or a custom costume...

Last edited:
Started one of these years ago but never finished, would love to see one all done.

The suit is an old Russian Mig flight suit that has been dyed black. There was a glut of these on the market many years ago and were only running around $70.
My best guess is the boots he is wearing are wrestling boots and he is also wearing an Omega Speedmaster watch, which you can get cheap replicas of.

Somewhere here there`s a thread with my finished Jet Car replica helmet with original parts, OT and OT charge case and the briefcase as well.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

Started one of these years ago but never finished, would love to see one all done.

The suit is an old Russian Mig flight suit that has been dyed black. There was a glut of these on the market many years ago and were only running around $70.
My best guess is the boots he is wearing are wrestling boots and he is also wearing an Omega Speedmaster watch, which you can get cheap replicas of.

Somewhere here there`s a thread with my finished Jet Car replica helmet with original parts, OT and OT charge case and the briefcase as well.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

Thanks for the tips Mr. Webber!!

I have been looking at mig flight suits and they seem like they will need some modification to make screen accurate.

I will be heading to the goodwill in search of a decent briefcase...

Looking for someone who has made the bandana already so I don't have to reinvent the wheel on that one.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back