Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel)

Does anyone know if there is a supporting website for this film like the one for Prometheus, or if anything has been added to the old one? Been looking round tonight but I haven't found anything. I wonder if this is a budget restraints thing...

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/5/15561880/alien-covenant-reactions-prometheus
Not exactly the high praise I was hoping for, but I remain hopeful.

I'm sure io9's review will be way more forgiving.

Alien: Covenant May Be the Biggest Disappointment of the Summer

"Fassbender is great in both roles, but the character’s stories demystify everything that made those aliens so terrifying in the first place. So Alien: Covenant gets rid of everything good about Prometheus and takes all the mystery of Alien away. It basically makes both films worse."

Worst case scenario confirmed. There are no aliens in the ALIEN Franchise anymore.

"...but the character’s stories demystify everything that made those aliens so terrifying in the first place. So Alien: Covenant gets rid of everything good about Prometheus and takes all the mystery of Alien away. It basically makes both films worse."

Worst case scenario confirmed. There are no aliens in the ALIEN Franchise anymore.

Yeah, it's like he not only wants to take back his toys before he dies, but ruin the fun everyone else had with them while he was busy ignoring them...

Thanks for the video, but I am a little bummed about the weapon designs, they dont feel futuristic at all.

They shouldn't. You have to remember, the upcoming film is still set before the first one. And even more so, standard modern gun designs are still around during the second film (as seen with h Hick's shotgun).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In these clips, Fassbender excepted, the acting looks pretty bad. Of the type that you might see in a Disney stunt show. I just don't believe anything they're saying. Probably because THEY don't believe in. I don't know. Something has felt "off" in every clip and trailer. I'll see it out of curiosity. But, who is to blame? Talentless writers? A Scott past his prime? The moral is, you can never go home again.

I'm sure io9's review will be way more forgiving.

Alien: Covenant May Be the Biggest Disappointment of the Summer

"Fassbender is great in both roles, but the character’s stories demystify everything that made those aliens so terrifying in the first place. So Alien: Covenant gets rid of everything good about Prometheus and takes all the mystery of Alien away. It basically makes both films worse."

Do you think its Ridleys ego run amok, and doesnt want anyone else to make any more alien movies? Kinda like he has the final say, essentially killing the franchise? From what I read, he was pretty annoyed with the Blomkamp version, and all the fans behind it. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

They shouldn't. You have to remember, the upcoming film is still set before the first one. And even more so, standard modern gun designs are still around during the second film (as seen with h Hick's shotgun).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
True, but when intergalatic travel is available you think they could at least change the designs. And hicks had that shotgun as a failsafe/back up. Hell even drake and vazquez have a beretta I believe. Just seemed kind of lack luster. Hell, even the starship trooper guns still fired bullets, but the design was futuristic. Same with the smart guns in Aliens etc.

Do you think its Ridleys ego run amok, and doesnt want anyone else to make any more alien movies? Kinda like he has the final say, essentially killing the franchise? From what I read, he was pretty annoyed with the Blomkamp version, and all the fans behind it. Just a thought.

That's pretty much what many of us have been saying. Prometheus got such a mixed reception after having been hyped all to hell, then Blomkamp gets a whole mess of attention just from posting some concept images he was fooling around with... everyone starts talking about it... getting Michael Biehn involved... sounds like a sure thing until Scott suddenly announces that A:C is gonna come "first". And when you look at Covenant... with its Ripley facsimile (sorry, but that's what the character gives the impression of even if she's a fine actress), Scott's sudden need to rearrange everything in the lore. The "Tracking the Xenomorph" clip is even further proof that AC is a hybrid of Alien and Aliens, with a dollup of Prometheus thrown in.

Ridley makes absolutely gorgeous films, and I don't doubt that Coventant is full of eye-candy like few other films, but he's never made me laugh, nor cry, nor really care for any of the characters in his films. (The exception might be Blade Runner, but I'd give more credit to Hauer and Ford for bringing across the emotion in that one- especially since Hauer improvised the most memorable line in the movie.) As iconic as the first movie was, it was Cameron's sequel that made it quotable and entrenched it in popular culture. If he hadn't made Riley into the incredible character she is, the first film would have become a curiosity. And while Aliens has a few dodgy FX (the dropship landing among other things) Stan Winston's creature FX stand the test of time- every shot of the Xeno in the sequel still hold up, whereas many of the ones in Alien just look silly today. (The last several times I've seen it in theaters, people have laughed out loud at the chestburster scene.)

Ridley makes absolutely gorgeous films, and I don't doubt that Coventant is full of eye-candy like few other films, but he's never made me laugh . . .

. . . (The last several times I've seen it in theaters, people have laughed out loud at the chestburster scene.)

At least he's making some people laugh :D

That's pretty much what many of us have been saying. Prometheus got such a mixed reception after having been hyped all to hell, then Blomkamp gets a whole mess of attention just from posting some concept images he was fooling around with... everyone starts talking about it... getting Michael Biehn involved... sounds like a sure thing until Scott suddenly announces that A:C is gonna come "first". And when you look at Covenant... with its Ripley facsimile (sorry, but that's what the character gives the impression of even if she's a fine actress), Scott's sudden need to rearrange everything in the lore. The "Tracking the Xenomorph" clip is even further proof that AC is a hybrid of Alien and Aliens, with a dollup of Prometheus thrown in.

Ridley makes absolutely gorgeous films, and I don't doubt that Coventant is full of eye-candy like few other films, but he's never made me laugh, nor cry, nor really care for any of the characters in his films. (The exception might be Blade Runner, but I'd give more credit to Hauer and Ford for bringing across the emotion in that one- especially since Hauer improvised the most memorable line in the movie.) As iconic as the first movie was, it was Cameron's sequel that made it quotable and entrenched it in popular culture. If he hadn't made Riley into the incredible character she is, the first film would have become a curiosity. And while Aliens has a few dodgy FX (the dropship landing among other things) Stan Winston's creature FX stand the test of time- every shot of the Xeno in the sequel still hold up, whereas many of the ones in Alien just look silly today. (The last several times I've seen it in theaters, people have laughed out loud at the chestburster scene.)
Very well said, thank you for your insight. I havent seen the chest burster scene lately, but I cant imagine laughing at it. I dont think I would have been as repulsed by it as someone was in the 70's, but effects and violent imagery have come a long way since then. I think a lot of people are desensitized by things, and everyone knows about it. I do however think of the Spaceballs alien when I think of the chest burster though :lol

Well, Odd Studio made the best practical Alien since Winston tackled Aliens imho. Too bad we won't get to see it with the CGI ****-show it has become.

Alien must have been a dream job for those guys.. and to have it all covered up by poorly done shiny CGI? I'd be pissed!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back