Mad Max Interceptor scratch build Query...

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I have discovered the best combination of model kits to get a close body to the Interceptor. The first one was already mentioned: the Revell '70 Ford Torino GT 2'n1 model kit. The second is a more recent kit: '73 Ford Mustang kit from Round 2 Models under the MPC retro model brand. After looking at my '71 Mustang Mach 1 die cast from Testors, I got to wondering how different it was from the '73. However, I noticed there wasn't much different and saw the page on the Mad Max fans website with the comparison of the Falcon with the Torino and Mustang from the same year. I noticed that the front half, from the front of the car to the doors could be used with the roof and back half of the Torino body to create a body close to the Falcon/Interceptor style.

Now, there'd be some modifications that would need to be made to both halves so to make it fit together properly (one such example is trying to figure out if either the Mustang or Torino model windshield match the Falcon, and determine which one to go with. The Arcadipane front would need to be scratch build in whole (I.e. As it is in the first film) or in part (I.e. The start of the second film), which looks like it can be done easily if you create a template for it first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you gonna do it CB2001? Please do a build thread man, I'd love to see that done

Are you gonna do it CB2001? Please do a build thread man, I'd love to see that done

I've got the kits. I'm gonna need some more material (i.e. Sculpting putty or bondo, or something to fill in seam lines and gaps. I've noticed the doors on both models are shaped differently towards the rear side, which would leave a gap if I decide to use the Mustang's doors with the rear end of the Torino instead of the Torino's doors. But since the Mustang's doors have the handles built in, just like the Falcon's, I may end up going with the Mustang's doors). The big thing I'm worried about is that I haven't built a car model in a long time so, I may be a bit rusty, but it have wanted to get back into model building (including doing kitbashing and scratch building as well). And the version I want to do is how the car is seen in the first film.

But, I noticed some details on the Interceptor that I won't be able to recreate accurately, like those side vents on the body a bit behind where the doors are (they look like scoops with horizontal vents. The Torino body has something like that, but it doesn't have the scoops and the "vent" lines are vertical. Another issue is that I don't have any dash boards that have the steering on the right side). So, if I proceed, the vehicle will not be 100% screen accurate, but I would try to get as close as possible. For the front, I came across Interceptor papercraft model I think may have been in 1/25 scale, which means I may be able to scratch build the Arcadipane front and the back area with the tail lights (as neither models back end match the look). I'll have to see if I have any model parts to use to make the air intake for the engine and will have to check the back bumpers to see if either match.

TL,DR version: yes, I plan on it and will include a build thread when I do.

New update: my plans on doing the kitbashed Interceptor as I mentioned above apparently have been stalled. Not just due to time, but the fact I found at one of the remaining few Toys 'R'Us stores a limited edition 1:24 scale die cast Interceptors from a company called Greenlight Collectibles Hollywood. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but this has pretty much been the closest available model of the Interceptor in a while the U.S. that wasn't exported or a garage model kit. But, I do still plan on doing the kitbashed version.

IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

Last edited:
New update: my plans on doing the kitbashed Interceptor as I mentioned above apparently have been stalled. Not just due to time, but the fact I found at one of the remaining few Toys 'R'Us stores a limited edition 1:24 scale die cast Interceptors from a company called agree light Collectibles Hollywood. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but this has pretty much been the closest available model of the Interceptor in a while the U.S. that wasn't exported or a garage model kit. But, I do still plan on doing the kitbashed version.

View attachment 798710

View attachment 798711

I just bought that same model with an eye on modifying it into a Fury Road version, however it seems like that will be hard to do based on how it's put together. Have you had any luck modifying it, or are you planning to just keep it as is and make a separate kit bashed one?

I'm now thinking I might make a cast of the body and start a build from there.

I just bought that same model with an eye on modifying it into a Fury Road version, however it seems like that will be hard to do based on how it's put together. Have you had any luck modifying it, or are you planning to just keep it as is and make a separate kit bashed one?

I'm now thinking I might make a cast of the body and start a build from there.

I'm not gonna modify this one, but do the kitbash I had considered on doing with the Mustang and Torino models mentioned previously in this post. But making a cast of the body and maybe using the chassis of the 1971 Ford Mustang may be a good starting point (or you may have to look at other model chassis you have in your parts box to see if something fits).

...making a cast of the body and maybe using the chassis of the 1971 Ford Mustang may be a good starting point ...

Good call! I hadn't considered getting a chassis from another kit, I was just going to make the whole thing from scratch like a chump.

I saw Mad Max in it's original dubbed first run glory. I was 18 years old and had to have a model of this car. So long story short I took what looked right to me. At the time I had no idea what an XB Falcon was. I just thought it was a dressed-up Mustang. So I took a MPC 1973 Ford Mustang kit and I took a 70 something MPC Chevy Monza kit and kit bashed them. The Monza donated its nose piece. I scratch built light covers... The best part was the Mustang body exactly fit to the Monza nose. I got rims, blower, and zoomie pipes from other kits that I don't remember, but had those parts lying around. The end result was very pleasing, and I still have the car in my display case. I have two Aoshima Road Warrior cars in the stash and an AFNX original MFP version resin conversion that someday maybe I'll get to building. Someday.

I do believe the MPC 73 Mustang and Monza kit have been re released.

Max Bryant

Last edited:
I saw Mad Max in it's original dubbed first run glory. I was 18 years old and had to have a model of this car. So long story short I took what looked right to me. At the time I had no idea what an XB Falcon was. I just thought it was a dressed-up Mustang. So I took a MPC 1973 Ford Mustang kit and I took a 70 something MPC Chevy Monza kit and kit bashed them. The Monza donated its nose piece. I scratch built light covers... The best part was the Mustang body exactly fit to the Monza nose. I got rims, blower, and zoomie pipes from other kits that I don't remember, but had those parts lying around. The end result was very pleasing, and I still have the car in my display case. I have two Aoshima Road Warrior cars in the stash and an AFNX original MFP version resin conversion that someday maybe I'll get to building. Someday.

I do believe the MPC 73 Mustang and Monza kit have been re released.

Max Bryant

The 1973 Mustang MPC Kit, yes. As for the Monza, I honestly don't know. I'll have to look into that.

By the way it looks, like the Torino kit I mentioned previously looks to no longer be available at Hobby Lobby (which is probably the closest thing to a hobby store with model kits you can find in my neck of the woods without having to travel to Tallahassee). But the Torino model may still be available online for anyone interested.

New update: I was cruising around YouTube, looking up scratch building model videos, and I came across this. Looks like someone else came up with the idea I had, and ran with it. This wasn't me, I assure you. The only thing is that they kept the doors for the Torino model, when I would have used the doors for the Mustang. But it still looks impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
New update: my plans on doing the kitbashed Interceptor as I mentioned above apparently have been stalled. Not just due to time, but the fact I found at one of the remaining few Toys 'R'Us stores a limited edition 1:24 scale die cast Interceptors from a company called Greenlight Collectibles Hollywood. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but this has pretty much been the closest available model of the Interceptor in a while the U.S. that wasn't exported or a garage model kit. But, I do still plan on doing the kitbashed version.

I picked up the same model at a toy show. Pretty cool, except the disappointing part is that the blower assembly is screwed to the hood instead of being popped up through a hole. It also sits at an odd angle because there has been no accounting for the slope of the hood.

image.jpg image.jpg
This is a work in progress (for about ten years!). It's a '70 Torino with a '73 Mach I Mustang hood and modified Dodge Daytona front clip. I also shortened the rear end and built up the area above the rear quarter window.

image.jpg image.jpg
Don't be too harsh on this one. I built back in high school, around 1984. It's a '77 Mustang with another '73 Mach I hood and a mid '80s front clip. The fuel tanks are 1/35 scale 50 gallon drums. I even converted it to right hand drive.

Last edited:
The Aoshima kit is still the best one out there. here's one i back-dated to the first movie version:
39421695321_63780a4bfe_b.jpg
Mad Max Black on Black by aus_mus, on Flickr
39421697881_351d40a4e8_b.jpg
Mad Max Black on Black by aus_mus, on Flickr

Attachments

• 39421697611_064ba8258b_b.jpg
    39421697611_064ba8258b_b.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 161
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back