"Tie Killer" Y-Wing Based on Dave G Open Source

I finally got all the kit parts for the engine nozzles and was working on getting them on today. I've yet to see a good photo of TK in this area, so a little creative liberty had to be done. I used a combination of shots between Red Jammer and the Ladd Y.

20170106_190358.jpg20170106_191002.jpg

Getting there!
20170106_192555.jpg

Looking awesome Mike. I've had issues with the nozzles too, there seems to be some slight variations between what's out there with the different Y's.

Good news for those looking for a 3D printed alternative to the Kettenkrad struts that go around the nacelles. TonyR is offering a set at his Shapeways store. I worked with him on the sizing and I think they look pretty dang good. www.shapeways.com/product/3N4EMMK8E/wing-y-studio-scale-nacelle-arms-set?optionId=61698155

YWING SS NACELLE ARMS.png

I've been seeing all these incredible builds in primer and got jealous.:rolleyes Using white resin casts I was really excited to see the detail pop out under primer. Still a long way from calling it done. I still have to locate a few pieces before I'm satisfied and do the lighting. I haven't primed the cockpit or tail shroud yet and need to finish the interior.

20170115_092044.jpg20170115_092951.jpg20170115_092637.jpg20170115_092547.jpg20170115_092137.jpg20170115_092053.jpg

Your build is looking excellent Mike.

The only thing needed to make these parts perfect would be the groove needed to fit it over the tee. Do you think it's possible to ask Tony to add it? The parts are great either way, but it might save some time by not having to file a groove on the bottom.

Good news for those looking for a 3D printed alternative to the Kettenkrad struts that go around the nacelles. TonyR is offering a set at his Shapeways store. I worked with him on the sizing and I think they look pretty dang good. www.shapeways.com/product/3N4EMMK8E/wing-y-studio-scale-nacelle-arms-set?optionId=61698155

View attachment 698318

Your build is looking excellent Mike.

The only thing needed to make these parts perfect would be the groove needed to fit it over the tee. Do you think it's possible to ask Tony to add it? The parts are great either way, but it might save some time by not having to file a groove on the bottom.

Yea, I realized that after the fact. I will ask him if he's willing. Any way you can grab a quick measurement for me of the thickness of the groove on the T? He will want to know that and I'm not at home.

Last edited:
I've been seeing all these incredible builds in primer and got jealous.:rolleyes Using white resin casts I was really excited to see the detail pop out under primer. Still a long way from calling it done. I still have to locate a few pieces before I'm satisfied and do the lighting. I haven't primed the cockpit or tail shroud yet and need to finish the interior.

View attachment 698417View attachment 698412View attachment 698413View attachment 698414View attachment 698415View attachment 698416
stunning work Mike , I'll have to get the finger out

This is my go to thread for my Tie Killer build, simply amazing. Just wish I could be as lucky on the greeblie front. Fantastic, inspiring work.

Yea, I realized that after the fact. I will ask him if he's willing. Any way you can grab a quick measurement for me of the thickness of the groove on the T? He will want to know that and I'm not at home.

The tough part about that channel is that it has to be at an angle. I don't know how to specify it without making one though.

QUOTE]
What were the original fins made from , were they fabricated from scratch or did they come from another kit ?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure, but my guess is fabricated because the cuts have to at precise angles to fit the Saturn V parts. Check out the discussion on Scott's thread for more info on those parts and measurements. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263983&page=4

Fantastic work and progress here!!! Thanks for sharing all the pics. It's fun how awesome these builds look in just the primer phase even.

Thank you for the kind words guys! It means a lot! I remember reading somewhere that this part is from a kit. I went back to look and the info is no longer there. Does anyone else recall?
TK Top2.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back