Mass Effect M-12 Locust SMG build finished 3/9/13 page 3

Looks really great. A few more scratches and scuffs would sell it a little better, also the graphics. You could just lay some masking tape right on the surface and cut your stencils in that.

Thanks Nwerke, I am working on the graphics and tried cutting the design into painters tape, but couldn't get a result I was happy with. I was thinking about getting a member here to print out some water slide decals for me. I may message Epillepticsquirrel for some help.

I really enjoy this build. Above everything this model is crisp. I really would have liked to see what you could do with a urethane board instead of MDF, I think you were really limited by that material. There's a little orange peel on the part, but considering you're not in a paint booth using a high end gun it's expected. A lot better than my painting before I had professional training lol. Great job, I like that weathering on the barrel a lot

I really enjoy this build. Above everything this model is crisp. I really would have liked to see what you could do with a urethane board instead of MDF, I think you were really limited by that material. There's a little orange peel on the part, but considering you're not in a paint booth using a high end gun it's expected. A lot better than my painting before I had professional training lol. Great job, I like that weathering on the barrel a lot

Thanks for the kind words ! I have been looking into a product called Trupan that is like mdf, but without the harmfull binders that want to kill your lungs. It is also supposed to be better for shaping and sanding. I also plan on getting an airbrush soon and learn how to use that.

Orange peel? You don't mean the textured paint do you?

Got to agree that urethane board is a way nicer material to work with. You can't even look at things like MDF after trying it.

Got to agree that urethane board is a way nicer material to work with. You can't even look at things like MDF after trying it.

Yeah, I was curious about that too, maybe they are talking about the textured grips. I didn't see any orange peel? While generally speaking, MDF does have it's limits, one could always check out the stuff made by member zanderwitaz of Zprops to see just can be done with the stuff. That guy is amazing !

Isn't urethane board really expensive ? I'm off to ask my pal Google to see right now!

No i'm not talking about the textured grips lol

Maybe it's sanding scratches? or just MDF? Top pic top part of the gun near 1 of the notches. I think that angle didn't do it justice though, because it's hard to find them in the other pics. I know it's probably over the top, but my teacher was HARSH with any sanding scratches.

Urethane board is somewhat expensive. I went to school for model building and thats what we used most and I'm hooked on it. I have a supplier in my town that sells a 2" plank 2ft wide by 5ft long for $250. It's a lot, but if you look at my Iron Man helmet build and all the parts we are making we will have 2/3rds of that left by the end of the project.

Also, urethane board is ridiculous on all cutting tools. It dulls the crap out of them because they use silica to lower the density. It's brutal on HSS

No i'm not talking about the textured grips lol

Maybe it's sanding scratches? or just MDF? Top pic top part of the gun near 1 of the notches. I think that angle didn't do it justice though, because it's hard to find them in the other pics. I know it's probably over the top, but my teacher was HARSH with any sanding scratches.

Urethane board is somewhat expensive. I went to school for model building and thats what we used most and I'm hooked on it. I have a supplier in my town that sells a 2" plank 2ft wide by 5ft long for $250. It's a lot, but if you look at my Iron Man helmet build and all the parts we are making we will have 2/3rds of that left by the end of the project.

Also, urethane board is ridiculous on all cutting tools. It dulls the crap out of them because they use silica to lower the density. It's brutal on HSS

It could be sloppy sanding or my terrible drybrushing, lol. I appreciate any and all constructive criticism so thanks for pointing it out ! It would also help if I got a real camera and took better pictures too.

GORGEOUS! Love the look the real hardware adds (the screws and whatnot). I always try to do that on my builds.
I definitely have to look for that "aged iron" Rustoleum. I don't recall seeing it at Home Depot... will have to look for it specifically. Love the way it textured your grip area.

Awesome work!!!

GORGEOUS! Love the look the real hardware adds (the screws and whatnot). I always try to do that on my builds.
I definitely have to look for that "aged iron" Rustoleum. I don't recall seeing it at Home Depot... will have to look for it specifically. Love the way it textured your grip area.

Awesome work!!!

Thanks ! I think I got that paint at Walmart if I remember right.

Beautiful work. Really outstanding. Well done. And thanks for the WIP! Some of us really, really appreciate all the pictures and explanations!

By the by, did you ever drop this into rubber? Count me as a guaranteed sale, if you do.

Unfortunately, I sold it along with a few other builds late last year to help my mom out. She went bankrupt and lost her house, so I did a little fundraiser to get money to help her out. The Locust is in good hands though, but I will not be able to make a mold . It's pretty awesome that you were interested though, so thanks !

Oh that sucks, your poor mom. You're a good person to do that for her.

It was good work. I don't love *all* of the ME guns, but probably better than half. If you do any others, then I'd probably be interested and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back