Incom T-65 Screen Accurate ANH Cockpit in 3D to Print for Studio Scale |Build Thread

Gus76

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATE: Latest photos of the cockpit:

cockpit03_zpsnmub0ru8.jpg

cockpit04_zpskfxkfquv.jpg

Building a screen accurate cockpit to print in 3D for my Studio Scale X-Wing.
Have been working on a basic shape and just stared doing a bit of detailing:

cockpit01_zpsjjabq4g8.jpg

cockpit02_zpsfhjdmyut.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Incom T-65 Screen Accurate ANH Cockpit in 3D to Print for Studio Scale |Build Thr

Awesome stuff, man. When the time comes for me to scratch build some Studio Scale X-wings, I'll certainly reference your work! Looking forward to your progress.

-Kris

Re: Incom T-65 Screen Accurate ANH Cockpit in 3D to Print for Studio Scale |Build Thr

Gus, do you mean you're squeezing a 'set' cockpit into your SS model? That would be cool...
R/ Robert

Finished with the front cluster:

cockpit03_zpsuf2siwgh.jpg

I had to make a difficult decision to do ESB version of the cockpit. Not enough reference for ANH :( Can't find decent images of the set 1:1 cockpit. If anyone could share the reference that would be much appreciated,

Did a test print on the weekend to have an idea on the dimensions and proportions:

cockpit01_zpsnvgq0ncf.jpg

And... the proportions are wrong. Got to work more on the main shape....

Ah, thank you! Nice! I do have pretty much all of those though I as have watched the movie several times and grabbed all the screenshots with x-wing cockpit on it. I was looking for more on-set shots done during the production if those even exist. I do have a couple but that is not enough.

Some progress to the front end and still adjusting the shape.

cockpit04_zpsrfusarsd.jpg

Looks great ! I'll be starting my cockpit scratch build for my Hasbro X-wing Mod soon and I too was trying to find reference photos. nice work

Some progress to the front end and still adjusting the shape.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn293/volteco/cockpit04_zpsrfusarsd.jpg

Seems I'm finding these sort of 'working from pix' projects are iterative in nature by default. Fortunately, even starting over benefits from the prior work since a lot can be reused...
thanks for sharing, Gus - always enjoy your work.

R/ Robert

Seems I'm finding these sort of 'working from pix' projects are iterative in nature by default. Fortunately, even starting over benefits from the prior work since a lot can be reused...
thanks for sharing, Gus - always enjoy your work.

R/ Robert
Thank you Robert and everyone else for support. It seems like most of the reference photos that I have is either for ANH or ESB and I am going to end up having mish-mash version of the cockpit.
If anyone has a decent reference photos and is willing to share, please kindly post a link, it will be very much appreciated.

More progress on the front end. Still deciding on the version. I will probably redo the top as most if the panels resemble ANH version.

cockpit05_zpsvqjkadsx.jpg

More progress and started working on the back side. The hoses are a real resource consumer!

cockpit06_01_zpscidm9mx7.jpg

Awesome work, Gus! Very good material for reference. I look forward to seeing the finished product. We all benefit from work like this. The detailing is amazing and I know I'll be using your work for inspiration in future builds.

-Kris

Awesome work, Gus! Very good material for reference. I look forward to seeing the finished product. We all benefit from work like this. The detailing is amazing and I know I'll be using your work for inspiration in future builds.

-Kris

Thank you Kris. Appreciate the comments. It is nice to know that My work can help someone else.

I have another update. Done another test print to see how details are visible on the 3D print:

cockpit065_zps9dyltnkf.jpg

Decided to change the err.. glaring shield (or top instrument panel) to ANH. Got to be consistent. Also have done some work on the back. Almost time to switch to the chair and possibly a pilot:

cockpit07_zpsk1snlavw.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Very impressive :thumbsup When you make these available, I will be in for one :)

Btw, will you be adding a pilot figure too ?

Ken

That print came out looking fantastic. I really need to get a hold of a 3D printer...lol... Until then, I'll be interested in yours if/when you make it available... Maybe you could make it available in different scales, too?

-Kris

Very impressive :thumbsup When you make these available, I will be in for one :)

Btw, will you be adding a pilot figure too ?

Ken

Thank you Ken. Yes! I am working on it right now. Hoping to show some progress soon.

- - - Updated - - -

That print came out looking fantastic. I really need to get a hold of a 3D printer...lol... Until then, I'll be interested in yours if/when you make it available... Maybe you could make it available in different scales, too?

-Kris

Thank you Kris. I will definitely look into the possibility of making different scales. The problem here is that I can't just scale the model to the desired scale. It won't look right. I might have to change some elements (make it bigger) if I scale it to a 1/72, otherwise they will be too fragile or hardly visible, like wires or score lines.

Wow, beautiful work. That cockpit is certainly a lot busier than the available SS kits! :lol
Love the detail you are putting in to this.
BTW I'm not putting down the SS kits at all, I love them for their original filmed models accuracy. They are just different fish, so to speak.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back