37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

Oh, this is from Randy Cooper, in case it helps anyone out.

1600068_10152145287275238_378697147_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ryan, that'll look fantastic!

Well after a super crappy week, I got back into town to my fedex delivery of honeycomb grid material ... Ordered 1/8 inch grid size, 20 degree diffusion and it comes in black polycarbonate.

That's cool looking stuff! When I lit the engines on our studio-scale project, I thought the chrome silver look was perfect when the engines were on but I felt they would have looked better when off if the honeycomb was painted black. Then, I realized that would cut the light output of the engines unless you were looking straight into them. If you look at them off-axis, the light output will diminish dramatically.

The chrome reflects the light, enhancing the output when you are not looking straight through the honeycomb material.

If the black material is shiny enough, it may still look good (our light tunnel for the center engine was gloss black and it acted like a kaleidoscope). Still, even a dull silver might be a better choice.

Hope that helps! :)

For those asking, the material I'm using I got from HERE:
Custom Size Grid Material - 20° Light Diffusion

Fast shipping, easy paypal pay, no issues, got what I asked for as requested. Other than that, first time from them, though if I need more for other projects, I'm all about using them again. They have a few other sizes available, but this looked like the best fit for this project.

Charles, yeah, the black is glossy as heck, I may just leave it like that. Thinking I may try a sample dry brushed on the face side with a dark gunmetal just to add some color and depth.

Ryan

EDIT - Also asked size. Looks like 7 inch by 2 inch is enough for one build. But its super easy to cut with straight edge and xacto, just make a couple of passes and its like butta, so order extra for friends or the "next" project that this would look good on.

Last edited:
Is that honeycomb material similar to what was used on the original?

Edit: Please disregard - I see you mentioned that the original was either stainless or aluminum and I missed it the first time I read it.

Very cool effect.

I recieved my kit last week and yes I know it's 37 1/2 inches long and it's 1/2 the studio scale, but what is the actual scale of the model? 1/2000, 1/1500, 1/2500? My question is what is the actual scale of the kit?

I recieved my kit last week and yes I know it's 37 1/2 inches long and it's 1/2 the studio scale, but what is the actual scale of the model? 1/2000, 1/1500, 1/2500? My question is what is the actual scale of the kit?

My error, I misread your question. Given that the Monogram kit is listed as 1/4105 and is measured at 17.25 inches long that would make the "real" Galactica 70811.25 inches or 5901 feet. At 37.5 inches Mike's kit works out to around 1/1888 scale.

I edited the above after measuring a built Monogram kit. which came out to 17 1/4 inches.

Last edited:
OK thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. Just trying to get an idea of size and scale compared to the resin 1/2256 Star Destroyer kits.

A Star Destroyer is a mile long so presumably about 28 inches/71.3cm?

I thought Anigrand stopped making their kit?

Nwerke:
They have or at least it is not on their site anymore. They pop up on Ebay occasionally(one is on there now as is a lighting kit for it). Shame they stopped as from an old thread on here it looked really nice. That thread said that they got a C&D from Lucasfilms but have not known many Chinese companies to worry about that or copyrights so who knows why they stopped. Maybe as China becomes more integrated into the business world their legal system has started to pay attention to copyrights.

They're a Hong Kong-based company IIRC, so there's a different legal system from the outset - former British colony and all.

So, had the chance to bring the 1/2 SS GAL into the presence of Sean Sides full GAL tonight, and all I can say is . . . damn! Mike did such a great job on this not so little fella, we spent about a hour going over each area of the kit and comparing them, and being blown away by Mikes attention to the original.

Oh, and I was wrong about my fiber statement above a few posts back. Looks like Sean used 1mm fibers for his GAL, and 1/2 is the .5mm that Mike is using, so I was wrong there. Setting the .25 aside for the Anigrand ISD build, and getting some .5 ordered along with some #74 bits ASAP. Looking at some areas its going to be . . . challenging to get fiber in, but will be worth it I think. I forgot how many bloody fibers are on the back of the body, still working out where to fit everything electronic in it.

Got to see the hex material in place with the original. Love it. I will be dry brushing the face a medium/dark silver for sure, and leaving the inner cells black for when the powers off. Yes, Sean had the back plate upside down for the first picture, he "meant" to do that to show off the raised center detail better! Yeah, that's it! :facepalm

Mind you, these are without Mike's engine inserts in place, but you get the idea. With the inserts, its within 2-3 cells, and some of that is due to the difference in the inner baffle slopes, not the hex material.

Looks 1/2 to me!

Ryan

Hey everyone, just a quick update, i was away on a family vacation for the last 10 days or so, and did not have access to the RPF. Sorry i did not announce it before i left, but have read that announcing a vacation is an internet no no these days.

Back to work today, last few current order kits will be shipping 1 per day or so until i am caught up. Anyone who sent a PM to me in the last week and a half, sorry i did not get back to you, but will soon.
thanks
mike

Got to see the hex material in place with the original. Love it. I will be dry brushing the face a medium/dark silver for sure, and leaving the inner cells black for when the powers off. Yes, Sean had the back plate upside down for the first picture, he "meant" to do that to show off the raised center detail better! Yeah, that's it! :facepalm

Ryan

Looks good, I ordered a piece also. Keep the pictures and updates coming. The good/bad news is my bench is covered in another project ATM, but I'm pushing hard to get done so I can start on this one in the next couple of weeks. I'm not proud, all good ideas I see here I will try to emulate. :)

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." - Charles Caleb Colton

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back