Breaking Bad Props

Wow, yeah. I just compared your large images of the SG301 to a high resolution image of Walt wearing his glasses and the lens shape is pretty much exact, definitely the best I've seen. The nose pads are exact as well. I think it's safe to say that Hilco did indeed make the glasses. It's too bad the SG301 have an upper bar and an inaccurate bridge.

I guess contacting Hilco directly would be the best course of action? I'm glad we at least pretty much definitively know now that it's Hilco!
Unfortunately there's no email available on the Web for Hilco, they have telephone numbers, or you can contact them directly from the website. That's what I did, hoping to receive a more accurate contact information because I couldn't send them the pictures of Walt's frame.

Inviato dal mio BBB100-2 utilizzando Tapatalk

I don't know why the images broke. I reuploaded them again; hoping they don't break again.

What I meant about the SG301 is that they seem to have the correct shape of lenses. And now that you've posted the best photos I've seen of the sg301, I swear even SquidMan will agree that they have the right shape. It has a brow bar, spring hinges, and the bridge is different, but I think the correct lens shape is also important.

The sg301 glasses have spring hinges because they're more modern; made after 2007. All the glasses models made after 2007 also have the updated side shield hooks like the sg301 has. Anyway, the color is indeed identical. I also noticed it can look a bit grey by looking at some Breaking Bad promotional photos.

SquidMan took this screen shot from season 2, episode 3. It shows that Walt's glasses have a visible white inscription.
https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=746758&d=1501058527

While it's true that Hilco's glasses have the model number engraved and barely visible (and is bright white under a flash), in 2006 Hilco had an additional line of glasses they called "Frameworks." These have visible white text on them.
It's just yet another thing Hilco did differently before 2007. Or maybe they all are engraved, both modern and old, and appears white due to the lighting.

Did you ever consider contacting Hilco directly and ask for information about what Walt's model may be? Because it clearly is a pair made by them. Also, did you buy your sg301 online?
I just realised I didn't completely answer to your question. Yes, I bought them online from coolframes. May I ask you (or squidman) for a favour? I can't make international calls since I'm in Italy right now and my sim card doesn't support international calls. Can you call Hilco and report the information they give you? Unfortunately there's no email address on their website.
Thanks in advance.

Wow, yeah. I just compared your large images of the SG301 to a high resolution image of Walt wearing his glasses and the lens shape is pretty much exact, definitely the best I've seen. The nose pads are exact as well. I think it's safe to say that Hilco did indeed make the glasses. It's too bad the SG301 have an upper bar and an inaccurate bridge.

I guess contacting Hilco directly would be the best course of action? I'm glad we at least pretty much definitively know now that it's Hilco!
I did compared them too and it's pretty accurate. I'm looking forward to remove the upper bar from the frame. Too bad they are a little bit broken (nothing non-repairable, just some screws and a nose pad).
I would be very grateful if you could call Hilco and ask them for infos about Walt's frame. I am in Italy and I can't make international calls.

I did compared them too and it's pretty accurate. I'm looking forward to remove the upper bar from the frame. Too bad they are a little bit broken (nothing non-repairable, just some screws and a nose pad).
I would be very grateful if you could call Hilco and ask them for infos about Walt's frame. I am in Italy and I can't make international calls.

I would be happy to call them, but I'm not sure what I should ask? Without being able to show them images, I'm not sure what to ask from their customer service.

I just realised I didn't completely answer to your question. Yes, I bought them online from coolframes. May I ask you (or squidman) for a favour? I can't make international calls since I'm in Italy right now and my sim card doesn't support international calls. Can you call Hilco and report the information they give you? Unfortunately there's no email address on their website.
Thanks in advance.
coolframes, huh? Thanks. I'm considering buying them but did yours not come with demo lenses? I'm not sure if removing the brow bar is the best thing for you to do. The SG301 may have accurate lenses and be accurate in color, but even without the brow bar, the bridge is different.

Also, in regards to calling Hilco, I think this may be better done through email contact as these kinds of requests usually can't be answered through a phone call. Through email, you have more time. You can show them photos and if they can't pin point the model then and there, maybe you could ask for a pdf of older frame catalogues. Of course, anything past 2009 can already be found online; it would definitely have to be something before 2008.

I never bothered to contact Hilco because whenever I contact someone to inquire about a prop or costume, I never receive a response 99% of the time. I contacted the person who owns the grey pair for measurements at best, and it said it would but never got actually got back to me. So I just gave up on that method of obtaining information, but of course, Hilco may be different. They may come through.

Anyway, things that make Walt's frame unique.
- Non spring hinges.

- Side shield nook that looks more in line to the nook shown on the figures of their EZ shield patent.
it has been updated since to what it is now; no longer exact to the old model or what is shown on the patent.

- A bronze color.
at the moment, "matte bronze" looks most identical. (I rule it out of being the correct name for the frame color because Hilco has a tendency to give some of their frame colors very unique names)

- classic square lens shape
again, the sg301 seems to have the correct lens and frame dimensions. 53 - 17 - 140.

- very plain, simple frame design
no aviator style brow bar, no decorative design on the arms or anywhere on the frame, and a thin nose bridge.

- possibly an old A2 model.
one that was either updated to a modern model (which is no longer exact; likely to have been discontinued)
Including some of these details in email/site contact may make things easier.

EDITED: Ok. nvm. They have no publicly available contact info. I thought they only had a contact through site as opposed to a contact email, but they have to have an email. Well, I'll go have a look around.

Still looking for an email, but in the meantime, they have a facebook page. facebook.com/hilcovision

Also, Hilco Europe has a site contact fill out form.
hilco.co.uk/hilcouk/contactus.aspx

Last edited:
coolframes, huh? Thanks. I'm considering buying them but did yours not come with demo lenses? I'm not sure if removing the brow bar is the best thing for you to do. The SG301 may have accurate lenses and be accurate in color, but even without the brow bar, the bridge is different.

Also, in regards to calling Hilco, I think this may be better done through email contact as these kinds of requests usually can't be answered through a phone call. Through email, you have more time. You can show them photos and if they can't pin point the model then and there, maybe you could ask for a pdf of older frame catalogues. Of course, anything past 2009 can already be found online; it would definitely have to be something before 2008.

I never bothered to contact Hilco because whenever I contact someone to inquire about a prop or costume, I never receive a response 99% of the time. I contacted the person who owns the grey pair for measurements at best, and it said it would but never got actually got back to me. So I just gave up on that method of obtaining information, but of course, Hilco may be different. They may come through.

Anyway, things that make Walt's frame unique.
- Non spring hinges.

- Side shield nook that looks more in line to the nook shown on the figures of their EZ shield patent.
it has been updated since to what it is now; no longer exact to the old model or what is shown on the patent.

- A bronze color.
at the moment, "matte bronze" looks most identical. (I rule it out of being the correct name for the frame color because Hilco has a tendency to give some of their frame colors very unique names)

- classic square lens shape
again, the sg301 seems to have the correct lens and frame dimensions. 53 - 17 - 140.

- very plain, simple frame design
no aviator style brow bar, no decorative design on the arms or anywhere on the frame, and a thin nose bridge.

- possibly an old A2 model.
one that was either updated to a modern model (which is no longer exact; likely to have been discontinued)
Including some of these details in email/site contact may make things easier.

EDITED: Ok. nvm. They have no publicly available contact info. I thought they only had a contact through site as opposed to a contact email, but they have to have an email. Well, I'll go have a look around.

Still looking for an email, but in the meantime, they have a facebook page. facebook.com/hilcovision

Also, Hilco Europe has a site contact fill out form.
hilco.co.uk/hilcouk/contactus.aspx
I really think they could be OnGuard, by Hilco. A lot of old models have the hinges just like Walt's. If you look for the titanium aviator model you'll see resembles with Walt's one.
Now, I've removed the upper bar of the sg301. Unfortunately, I had to paint it silver because most of the bronze color was gone.
Here the results:
7343db7af8d6d90f5ca1627a14907a35.jpg

I really think they could be OnGuard, by Hilco. A lot of old models have the hinges just like Walt's. If you look for the titanium aviator model you'll see resembles with Walt's one.
Now, I've removed the upper bar of the sg301. Unfortunately, I had to paint it silver because most of the bronze color was gone.
Prior to Hilco's acquisition of them, OnGuard used side shields that required a rivet through a small hole on the arm itself to secure the side shield. You can look at the OnGuard models before Hilco bought the company. They're S00XX. And they have non spring hinges because that was the standard hinge before spring hinge.

I don't understand which titanium aviator model you mean since Hilco has a lot of aviators. I've looked at all the ones I could after some hours of googling and the sg301 is the one that has a lens shape that's pretty much to be confirmed to be exact to the shape of Walt's. It is also in the correct color. The OG 071, which is an aviator, looks like a good match, especially since the bridge is closer to Walt's, but I'm not convinced on the lens shape. It looks too rectangular. It comes with (and without) the updated side shield hook, however, the inside of the arm has ridges that further secure the side shield. A lot of OnGuard glasses now have this. Walt's didn't. Is the og 071 the one you're referring to?

Anyway, it's too bad the color was lost, but it's probably the best substitute 'replica' for Walt's glasses. :)

Prior to Hilco's acquisition of them, OnGuard used side shields that required a rivet through a small hole on the arm itself to secure the side shield. You can look at the OnGuard models before Hilco bought the company. They're S00XX. And they have non spring hinges because that was the standard hinge before spring hinge.

I don't understand which titanium aviator model you mean since Hilco has a lot of aviators. I've looked at all the ones I could after some hours of googling and the sg301 is the one that has a lens shape that's pretty much to be confirmed to be exact to the shape of Walt's. It is also in the correct color. The OG 071, which is an aviator, looks like a good match, especially since the bridge is closer to Walt's, but I'm not convinced on the lens shape. It looks too rectangular. It comes with (and without) the updated side shield hook, however, the inside of the arm has ridges that further secure the side shield. A lot of OnGuard glasses now have this. Walt's didn't. Is the og 071 the one you're referring to?

Anyway, it's too bad the color was lost, but it's probably the best substitute 'replica' for Walt's glasses. :)
Exactly. The OG071 looks very similar to me, but when we talk about shape SG301 are the best choice. There are a lot of pictures on the Web of various models. I guess it almost impossible to find it. The only way we could hope to find them is through ebay... who knows. Anyway here's the picture of an aviator model with same temples as Walt's frame.
a36d6c9010da9b88a08024c2a5b1905a.jpg

Exactly. The OG071 looks very similar to me, but when we talk about shape SG301 are the best choice. There are a lot of pictures on the Web of various models. I guess it almost impossible to find it. The only way we could hope to find them is through ebay... who knows. Anyway here's the picture of an aviator model with same temples as Walt's frame.
It is impossible to find it because google/archive.org has nothing archived prior to 2008. I'm not sure if ebay will be of any help either. The only Hilco/OnGuard glasses I've seen pop up there are the models that are more modern. As for the OG 701, it is more inaccurate than the sg301, even the og 071. Here's an ebay auction for one. It has much better pictures of it.

A lot of them look the same, but you have to look at them closer. The og701 has a more different bridge, two different arm thicknesses, a lens shape that looks more round, and the side shield hooks themselves are not accurate because they're the updated side shield hook. Look at high resolution of Walt's glasses where you can see the hook. You'll notice that it is different than the updated side shield hook all of Hilco's/OnGuard glasses have now. The hook on Walt's glasses matches the photo of Hilco's removable side shield patent which I posted on my first reply to you.

This is why I suspect that Walt's is a much older A2 model, one that uses version 1 of the side shield hook. A2 glasses are also the ones that look the most plain, as plain as Walt's glasses. They don't have designs on the arms, the arms aren't two thicknesses, and at least one A2 model (the sg301) has the correct lens shape and color. I highly lean towards Walt's glasses being an A2 model.

I got this a short while back on what seemed like pure chance, not even looking for it. It's Gus' eyeglasses. The frame model is called Imperial, made by ArtCraft. 1/10 12k gold filled in "numont" fulvue frame style, with pearl nose pads. Made in the early 40s. Not custom made as I may have thought Giancarlo Esposito meant in his interview about them here: http://www.avclub.com/article/giancarlo-esposito-62959
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
gf_glasses3.jpg

Also, anyone who wants to get a fulvue frame very similar to Gus' - there are 3 on ebay, and auctions are ending soon. 1 and zero bids so far.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Vintage-Glasses-Eyeglasses-1-10-12K-GF-Gold-Filled-Ladies-Womens/222914991082
This one is a "rimway" (the lenses are held by screws near the hinges). It's the least accurate. The bridge design is different from the Imperial frame, but the bridge style is very much the same. (without that tiny upward point the most common frame in this style has)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-1-10-12k-Gold-Filled-Eyeglass-Wire-Frames-w-Original-Case/191976056273
This one is a "numont." The bridge appears to be the same as the one above with the exception of the part that holds the lenses. Overall, it's more accurate than the last one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-12-K-Gold-Filled-Eyeglasses-with-Original-Case/222914007264
This one is also a numont. A less ornate bridge, but still similar.
I mean to replace the inaccurate lenses on mine, so I've spent time looking through these vintage eyeglasses and I do think these three above are the most accurate of what's available, if only for the bridge style.

I apologize for posting links. I know, but I'm convinced no one from here has bid on these - or kept these in their watch list.

So, I know the debate about Walt's glasses is pretty much never-ending... at one time these were considered the best alternative to buy:

Is that still the case or has a better solution come along that is actually available?
I think that beside the SG301 - which is only inaccurate for having a different bridge and an aviator brow bar (frame size still left to speculation) - the OG 090 looks more closer to Walt's than the SG104 since the lens height is larger and the bridge is soldered on the front. It also comes in the color that Squidman and I think is right. Here are the only decent photos I have found of it – stock images do not do safety glasses any justice whatsoever (I've said this a lot lol), especially since they're usually photos of the smallest frame size. And the larger frame sizes do add more lens height which makes frames look a bit less rectangular.
og090 54.jpg
og090 54-2.jpg
og090 54-3.jpg

og090 header_desktop.jpg
There's a new one available on ebay right now - in the 54x39 mm size. Accepting offers. There's also a used SG301. Both are significantly less than coolframes who prices them the lowest.

An additional thought I've had about Walt's glasses.
For a while, I've suspected that they may be an older OG 090, maybe even an OG 086 frame. With SG301 lenses. (The OG086 is an oval shaped frame but comes in a similar size to the 090. It's a very plain frame with the most accurate looking bridge. Most of Hilco's safety glasses come with bridges that are inaccurate. It comes in a metallic brown, bronze-like color.) I thought that despite the rectangular frame shape, maybe an SG301 lens was fit into it, stretching it out to create Walt's frame. Can't be sure because the lens circumference is not provided, but it might be why those of us who've searched for it have such a hard time finding anything remotely close to it.
EDIT: I forgot to mention this yesterday. I think the OG 090 may be better than the SG104 if we're talking Hilco frames, but there are other brands that do have frames that may be good enough; better than Hilco's. ArmouRx and ArtCraft. The ArtCraft WF 672A and 675 are some I considered buying a while ago - when I posted a photo of the ArtCraft WF675 in bronze. Those might be the second best options if you don't want to settle for an SG301. ArtCraft safety glasses even have their own inner side shield hook like Hilco's. It's just thicker on ArtCraft. ArmouRx has enough frames that look a lot like Hilco's SG104.

These sites show most of ArtCraft and ArmouRx safety glasses collection.
https://www.eyeweb.com/safety-prescription-eyewear
https://www.sunoptique.com/eyeglass-frames/
http://www.myeyewear2go.com/specialty-glasses/prescription-safety-glasses.html

There's also this old one from the 80s that may be worth a look for any willing to improve upon its inaccuracies. 53/17 with the classic square shaped lenses – just like the SG 301 and Walt's.

Anyway, I replaced the teardrop lenses on my Gus glasses with the correct hexagonal lenses.
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG

It's not much better because I had no idea that this frame style came in 4 lens and frame sizes. I needed the smallest lens size available for this frame - the least common lens size. Also, Gus' frame model is not called Imperial as I thought. And it's not made by ArtCraft either even though a lot of these come with ArtCraft temples. It's made by Imperial Optical, which was the Canadian branch of American Optical – the creators of this frame style. It's likely this model was only available in Canada. I got mine on ebay from a Canadian seller, and Canada is where Giancarlo E said he got his from.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm still trying to figure out Walt's exact frame. Lately I've found more infos.
I've sent some emails to Korean producers and resellers, you can find the answers in the pictures below.
I'm still pretty sure they are an old Hilco design.
However, Wolverine W021 are the closest.
32408727d8a3aeb909593f83779b85ec.jpg
4f58388116514a2f18ec2858adb139a4.jpg
a39c208c028d905247173c734bec250e.jpg
fca9f0cf60b656211f3f4d27ea918512.jpg

Inviato dal mio Pixel 2 XL utilizzando Tapatalk

Hello! I'm still trying to figure out Walt's exact frame. Lately I've found more infos.
I've sent some emails to Korean producers and resellers, you can find the answers in the pictures below.
I'm still pretty sure they are an old Hilco design.
However, Wolverine W021 are the closest.
I'm impressed by your persistence in searching for Walt's glasses, more impressed by how you're buying frames to see them first hand. :D

That is a good photo of the W021. I never mentioned that frame because...well, this
s-l1600-2.jpg

Even though it is the frame from Kenmark that looks closest to Walt's, it didn't convince me. And for those who've read my posts, you know how I've been saying that stock images don't do safety glasses justice? Here's the stock image of the W021.
Wolverine_W021.jpg
really, RPF'rs. Do a quick image search of wolverine w021 and tell me stock photos look anything like the actual frame. Maybe that's why a lot of safety glasses don't sell and then the models are discontinued.

You know what, Carlo Lubatti, older Wolverine safety glasses were available in a copper bronze-like color, like that of the SG301 from Hilco you have. I was unable to find old Wolverine safety glasses catalogs to see if there were other frames available that looked closer to Walt's, but maybe you'll be able to.

Frame Tec's side shield patent is similar to Hilco's. ArtCraft actually uses it in their glasses, as do other brands who sell safety glasses.

If you're emailing Korean companies, why not contact HilcoVision on facebook? Or through their UK site? Show them photos of Walt's glasses, tell them you highly suspect they made the frame. Show them this one
Unknown Frame.jpg
point out the side shield hook, and that it is different from what their side shield hooks look like now.

I'm impressed by your persistence in searching for Walt's glasses, more impressed by how you're buying frames to see them first hand. :D

That is a good photo of the W021. I never mentioned that frame because...well, this
View attachment 828056

Even though it is the frame from Kenmark that looks closest to Walt's, it didn't convince me. And for those who've read my posts, you know how I've been saying that stock images don't do safety glasses justice? Here's the stock image of the W021.
View attachment 828057
really, RPF'rs. Do a quick image search of wolverine w021 and tell me stock photos look anything like the actual frame. Maybe that's why a lot of safety glasses don't sell and then the models are discontinued.

You know what, Carlo Lubatti, older Wolverine safety glasses were available in a copper bronze-like color, like that of the SG301 from Hilco you have. I was unable to find old Wolverine safety glasses catalogs to see if there were other frames available that looked closer to Walt's, but maybe you'll be able to.

Frame Tec's side shield patent is similar to Hilco's. ArtCraft actually uses it in their glasses, as do other brands who sell safety glasses.

If you're emailing Korean companies, why not contact HilcoVision on facebook? Or through their UK site? Show them photos of Walt's glasses, tell them you highly suspect they made the frame. Show them this one
point out the side shield hook, and that it is different from what their side shield hooks look like now.
I did contact Hilco but they cut it off saying that they don't have any information.

Anyway, I modified my Hilco SG 301 and put up some lenses. I also changed the temples with the right screws, but no hooks inside them.

I'm pretty happy with the results. The only remarkable difference is the bridge, which here is clearly not the same.

Pictures following.

Greetings from Italy!
1ecb683b7f9c467711cf7bfd65d6a193.jpg
19124bfc00eec6ab997a391afb73fcd7.jpg
8836112d7474ddd14dc0957362affa3f.jpg
b75464207a05eeb101bd4fbb0456b378.jpg

Inviato dal mio Pixel 2 XL utilizzando Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back