Dr Doom Original Concept WIP (Pic Heavy)

Thanks man! :)

Haha, lots of practice. The first few things I tried were - ehrm - interesting. As I've experimented, I've picked up some new tricks and techniques that have helped me refine the projects. I've also taken a lot of tips from @Evil Ted and Sean Xieng. Here are their YouTube channels if you want to check them out:

Evil Ted: https://www.youtube.com/user/evilted40

Xieng Prod: https://www.youtube.com/user/xiengprod

:)

Thanks, man! That’s awesome!

Will you resin coat it for strength or seal it somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, man! That’s awesome!

Will you resin coat it for strength or seal it somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You're welcome! Though, I may have just pushed you down a rabbit hole. Haha ;)

No, no resin on this. The pieces are all heat sealed and then being coated with Plasti-Dip. Many of the pieces already have a few coats of PD on them so that I can review seams and such but will have more coats added to fully finish them before painting.

Gorgeous work as always. Great job!

Are you going to be adding a neck seal as well?

Thank you! Yes, there’s actually going to be an entire undersuit that will be made to fill in all the areas between the armor pieces. That will include a balaclava that will cover my neck and under my chin in a similar style to the Red Skull neck I did last year.

I love teaming up with you SMP Designs.

You've tasked me with creating some accessories for your unique take on Doctor Doom. I've modeled, and will be printing and installing green led's in these "chest discs" and "buckle".

Follow along with my progress, and give my page a like at: https://www.facebook.com/pg/JordansIronicArmory/posts/?ref=page_internal

28947452_1160298490774377_4532066588578361934_o.jpg

I love teaming up with you @SMP Designs.

You've tasked me with creating some accessories for your unique take on Doctor Doom. I've modeled, and will be printing and installing green led's in these "chest discs" and "buckle".

Follow along with my progress, and give my page a like at: https://www.facebook.com/pg/JordansIronicArmory/posts/?ref=page_internal

https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn....=0fc0e2da7df3f86428f1c1972dc357d0&oe=5B4C2978

FAB! I'm so excited to get these and add them on - your work is always so awesome and is the perfect addition to my suits. :)

So, for anyone who doesn't know, in addition to having worked together on a number of projects, Jordan did the Red Skull and Cap helmets for my match-up costumes last year as well as some of the widgets for those costumes.

cap-redskull-poster-light.jpg

As to Dr Doom, I mentioned early on that I wanted to do the entire project in foam. I am doing all of the armor pieces in foam but, after consideration, I decided that having the belt buckle and cape discs fabricated would make more sense based on what I wanted to do with them.

My thinking being that:

1. All armor will be foam and finished and painted the same way, therefore consistent
2. All fabric/soft pieces will be consistent fabrics and embellishments
3. All 'accessory' hardware (e.g., the pieces Jordan is doing) will be consistent

So, in the end, I hope to have a finished project with 3 major component groups that are all consistent within themselves and come together to form a complete and coherent character.

cap-redskull-poster-light.jpg

I got these images yesterday from Graphic Jordan and had to share them. These are the rough prints and test fit for the buckle. He's making the back sections in translucent filament and the outer sections are solid. When they are put together and the leds are installed in the back, the translucent sections will glow.

doom-hardware-4.jpg
doom-hardware-5.jpg
doom-hardware-6.jpg

The cape discs will be done in the same manner and, I believe, are being printed today. :)

I'm so excited to see these pieces progress!

Glad you like how the greeblies are shaping up. It's been a lot of fun. Once I get em all installed and painted up, they'll have the honor of sitting with the rest of the amazing costume you've constructed!

Lots of projects going on so kind of a short update but I'm happy and excited with the progress.

While the hardware was in progress with Graphic Jordan, I got to work on the belt and the foundation for the cape.

The base for the belt is being made of an embossed faux leather in a copper color. I wanted to tone down the rather flat metallic look of the material, so I used a sponge to apply matte black paint and then buffed it off with a damp towel. This left the black in the crevices and only highlights of the bronze on the surface.

doom-belt-1.jpg

I then bound off the edges with the same detail fabric as the rest of the pieces and added a detail stripe to the center of the belt and test fit the foam version of the buckle to it.

doom-belt-2.jpg
doom-belt-3.jpg

The next piece to complete was the skirt piece that will extend from the belt and around the back to the knee. This piece was constructed as a half circle drafted to frame the belt buckle. It was made in the same green linen and taffeta as the hood and edged with the metallic faux leather.

doom-belt-4.jpg
doom-belt-5.jpg

By the time these pieces were done, I had an update on the hardware. The pieces had been painted, the lights attached and were only awaiting final finishes before being sent to join the rest of the costume.

doom-hardware-7.jpg
doom-hardware-8.jpg

At this point, I wanted to get started on the base for the cape. The cape needs its own foundation as it will carry a lot of weight and have to support a lot of movement. I decided to create a foam foundation for the cape that will hold it in place, support it over the shoulders and keep it in the proper drape over the shoulders.

I made a basic pattern out of poster board that worked with the vest and armor.

doom-cape-1.jpg

The piece was then cut from foam and shaped to the rest of the costume.

doom-cape-2.jpg
doom-cape-3.jpg

This piece will be covered with the cape fabrics and the actual cape will be built on top of it. The plan for the cape is to build it in sides that are permanently pleated over the shoulders and then connect to a center piece that has the fullness for all the movement I want. The concept is not unlike the Thor cape.

doom-cape-4.jpg

Next up are the legs, hands and cape. Then, lots of paint and the under suit.

Stay tuned!

I really like the precision of your skill. I think that is the most impressive thing about this. Your fabrication is really top-notch and you've managed to capture the whole "modern" aesthetic of plates and separation lines. I don't much care for that kind of design myself but I am very impressed overall.

It's been a while since I checked out what you're up to....it's all awesome Man!
It all looks great, you know that. I like the whole cape design, hadn't really seen that before. It's gonna look great.

I can envision what the rest will look like, so my only question is are you planning any props to be built for this costume?

Doom always has been a favorite. I would love Marvel to skip the next FF movie and just do a Dr.Doom origin film, so much to work with. It would be the darker version of the Dr. Strange movie.

Again, it all looks wonderful...top shelf stuff there! Keep up the grand work my friend in foam!:thumbsup

And if you ever want to offer suggestions check out my MINION-Death's Head 2 build I have going, opinions and suggestions are always welcome.

how much time is required to complete it. I' m waiting to see the final pics.

I want to have it finished for Heroes Con in Charlotte in June. Of course, I’m working on it in bits around other commission projects, but I’m confident in hitting that date. It will also, of course, be making an appearance at Dragon Con this year. :)

I really like the precision of your skill. I think that is the most impressive thing about this. Your fabrication is really top-notch and you've managed to capture the whole "modern" aesthetic of plates and separation lines. I don't much care for that kind of design myself but I am very impressed overall.

Thanks! I really enjoy trying new takes on things and seeing if I can capture the iconic nature of the characters, with a modern ‘cinematic’ feel but with my own spin on it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it goes sideways. Right now, with the pieces still only having been Plasti Dipped, it looks a little fragmented. I’m hoping that, once I get paint on all the armor and the undersuit is done with paint detailing to match, it’ll really come together and look more solid.

It's been a while since I checked out what you're up to....it's all awesome Man!
It all looks great, you know that. I like the whole cape design, hadn't really seen that before. It's gonna look great.

I can envision what the rest will look like, so my only question is are you planning any props to be built for this costume?

Doom always has been a favorite. I would love Marvel to skip the next FF movie and just do a Dr.Doom origin film, so much to work with. It would be the darker version of the Dr. Strange movie.

Again, it all looks wonderful...top shelf stuff there! Keep up the grand work my friend in foam!:thumbsup

And if you ever want to offer suggestions check out my MINION-Death's Head 2 build I have going, opinions and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks!

Yeah, the cape. I’m still pondering on that one. I want it to have those permanent folds over the shoulders, but also want to be nice and ‘swirly’. I’m sure I’m still going to use some kind of base support structure for it, but it might go in a different direction than I’m planning right now. I’ll be interested to see how it turns out myself. ;)

As to props, ehrm, I’m thinking probably not. It’s kind of a big prop in itself. Haha

I’m definitely going to head over and check out your build!

Lots of projects going on and traveling all last week, but I did get the hardware from @Graphic Jordan and got a chance to test it up against the rest of the suit so far.

B3B718DB-0180-4911-9187-C19585F49D20.jpeg

So so excited and happy with these - he really is brilliant! I now really need to get the armor pieces fully coated and some paint on them to get an idea of the full effect. Here’s hoping the mad Atlanta Spring weather will cooperate with a few dry and reasonably temperate days to work with. Also, still deciding on the cape concept. Miles to go...

More updates to come!

It was my absolute pleasure to create these accessories for your amazing Doc Doom costume. I cannot wait to see color on the armor as well, it's all going to tie together so well. :)

Lots of projects going on and traveling all last week, but I did get the hardware from @Graphic Jordan and got a chance to test it up against the rest of the suit so far.

View attachment 808366

So so excited and happy with these - he really is brilliant! I now really need to get the armor pieces fully coated and some paint on them to get an idea of the full effect. Here’s hoping the mad Atlanta Spring weather will cooperate with a few dry and reasonably temperate days to work with. Also, still deciding on the cape concept. Miles to go...

More updates to come!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back