Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I understood everything I just thought I'd share one last thought. There's no need to be so defensive.

Okay lied I didn't understand the Hogwarts reference, never seen Harry Potter.
I think youre taking things too literal, especially with the Yoda quote. A knight could say his sword is his ally, that doesnt mean its a sentient being.

I think youre taking things too literal, especially with the Yoda quote. A knight could say his sword is his ally, that doesnt mean its a sentient being.

No it doesn't. But a sword doesn't show the future nor the past. A sword doesn't allow people to lift objects. It doesn't grant strange and arcane powers. Unless it's magic sword:lol

No it doesn't. But a sword doesn't show the future nor the past. A sword doesn't allow people to lift objects. It doesn't grant strange and arcane powers. Unless it's magic sword:lol
Thank you for proving my point. ;) When a Jedi is "tapping" into the force, it enables him to do those things. The Force doesnt go "hey, he seems like a nice guy, Ill let him shoot those missiles down that hole" and then it happens. The Force isnt sentient, and it doesnt have a "plan". Thats absurd.

And dude, you havent seen Harry Potter?! Wow. I thought everyone had seen that.

Really? Then how do you explain him murdering his wife? There more involved here. The fact is, the Force controls people, it has a will. Both the Dark Side and the Light Side. I couldn't tell you how it all works but it does. It's more then just personal choices and emotions at work. There is something far greater.

People kill out of anger all the time. Daily pretty much - has nothing to do with the dark side.

It came down to Anakin having qualms over whether or not to interfere (let alone kill) Mace who had taken down Palpatine (to anakin's view anyhow). Palp told anakin if he didn't save him, that he wouldn't be able to save padme, so he whack off mace's arms, but did not kill him. Palp killed him leaving anakin in a stunned what did i just do mode. Then Palp says follow me and we'll save padme. He does, calls him vader, and says go kill a bunch of kids (and others) in the temple. He just does it. In the space of 60 seconds he goes from conflicted over stopping Mace to OK with slaughtering a ton of kids.

Just no.

NO ONE goes that evil that fast. It just doesn't happen. Anywhere. Period. He wasn't evil before that, He had leanings, and spells, but was under control. That is just total loss of will and control and brain function simultaneously.

Keep in mind, they driving force for this in the prequels was his fear of losing padme. Due to a dream, force vision, whatever. It wasn't imminent. I can see launching a missile into the academy which kills loads of people, if there's literally a knife at her throat in a 'do it or she dies right now' scenario. There's plenty of time for him to realize he's gone way off base and stop, yet he proceeds full bore. Seeing as he's been taught since the age of 10 or so, he's had 8ish years or more of time for them to drive into his head that force visions ARE NOT dead on accurate. It's a possible future, not 'the' future no matter what. They can be wrong.

The flip side is that maybe he was that far gone and we never saw it. That falls into the sloppy writing/execution department. It's very easy to ruin an excellent story with shoddy execution. I've not heard anyone say that the story of the prequels was wrong or horrible. That's reserved for a single flick for the most part. They don't like aspects (jar jar) and the execution of it. The execution gives the look of shoddy writing or it could have literally been shoddy writing. The one thing it wasn't: a large number of people simply missing it.

If you can't admit these things have their faults, there's not really a discussion.

I don't have a huge problem with the prequels and I was fine with VII. TLJ, on the other hand lost me. And quite frankly, it lost me with a single aspect. The disparaging treatment of Luke. IX can turn things around, but it won't be a good ploy they used to throw audiences off, it will be JJ/the writers coming up with a way to make it look like there was a grand plan when there wasn't. I allow the possibility but the odds seem to be on the low side IMO.

Thank you for proving my point. ;) When a Jedi is "tapping" into the force, it enables him to do those things. The Force doesnt go "hey, he seems like a nice guy, Ill let him shoot those missiles down that hole" and then it happens. The Force isnt sentient, and it doesnt have a "plan". Thats absurd.

And dude, you havent seen Harry Potter?! Wow. I thought everyone had seen that.

Then what do you say to the Will of the Force? The Force is repeatedly said to be with someone suggesting, it chooses. And that the Force can leave a person. And the statement May the Force be with you, is almost like a request or prayer.

You guys let me know when this gets back on track, cause having this convo with Joek3rr is frustrating. No offense, but we just dont see eye to eye on what the Force is. Its basically magic that is in the Star Wars Universe. It cant really be explained. And when George DID try to explain it, he ruined it in the PT.

Last edited by a moderator:

You guys let me know when this gets back on track, cause having this convo with @Joek3rr is frustrating. No offense, but we just dont see eye to eye on what the Force is. Its basically magic that is in the Star Wars Universe. It cant really be explained. And when George DID try to explain it, he ruined it in the PT.

I mentioned this before. But this thread was never really on track. It was mostly a bunch of wild speculation about things going on behind closed doors . The rest is because the fans are mad at Kathleen for "ruining" Star Wars. With most times it comes down to the fans not truly understanding the source material. And part of that is because not everything is explicitly stated in Star Wars, leaving room for individual opinions and different interpretaions.

Then what do you say to the Will of the Force? The Force is repeatedly said to be with someone suggesting, it chooses. And that the Force can leave a person. And the statement May the Force be with you, is almost like a request or prayer.

My dog comes with me, my truck does too. Neither being with me indicates a choice outside of the one I make.

My dog comes with me, my truck does too. Neither being with me indicates a choice outside of the one I make.

Right, the Force chooses. After all Anakin is the Chosen one. For there to be a chosen one, there has has to be someone or something that chooses. It's also worth noting that the Jedi (as well as the Sith) worship, follow, and study the Force. If the Force is what some are describing it. Then they along with all the other Force religions, are worshipping nothing?

Right, the Force chooses. After all Anakin is the Chosen one. For there to be a chosen one, there has has to be someone or something that chooses. It's also worth noting that the Jedi (as well as the Sith) worship, follow, and study the Force. If the Force is what some are describing it. Then they along with all the other Force religions, are worshipping nothing?

Either you are purposely trolling me or you actually misunderstood my point.
The examples you gave about "being with the force" don't indicate a sentient choice the force makes.
You said you're a prequel kid so that's likely one reason we don't see eye to eye on much of Star Wars. I saw them as an adult and had developed a much higher expectation from films by then. Personally I thought they were terrible and didn't line up in many ways with the OOT. So as much as I tried to accept them as part of that story they remain popcorn fan films at best (regardless of GL making them).

I don't recall seeing anything in the OOT or any SW films about "worshipping" the force. Must be some EU stuff, not my thing.

Either you are purposely trolling me or you actually misunderstood my point.
The examples you gave about "being with the force" don't indicate a sentient choice the force makes.
You said you're a prequel kid so that's likely one reason we don't see eye to eye on much of Star Wars. I saw them as an adult and had developed a much higher expectation from films by then. Personally I thought they were terrible and didn't line up in many ways with the OOT. So as much as I tried to accept them as part of that story they remain popcorn fan films at best (regardless of GL making them).

I don't recall seeing anything in the OOT or any SW films about "worshipping" the force. Must be some EU stuff, not my thing.

My apologies, it's hard sometimes to get what someone is trying to say with just text on a screen.

Anywho. In ANH Tarkin says "The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You my friend is all that is left of their religion". And Han calls it a "hokey religion".

And on the note of the Force being a conscious entity or part of one. Remember this

LUKE
You don't believe in the Force, do
you?

HAN
Kid, I've flown from one side of
this galaxy to the other. I've seen
a lot of strange stuff, but I've
never seen anything to make me believe
there's one all-powerful force
controlling everything. There's no
mystical energy field that controls
my destiny.

Ben smiles quietly.

Notice how Han refers to the Force as a force controlling everything. And Ben doesn't try to suggest that he's wrong.

Finally let's not forget the Star Wars saga is supposed to come from the "Journal of the Whills" and George has said in a sense the Whills are the Force. This isn't new stuff, the Whills have been around since the first drafts of Star Wars.

I mentioned this before. But this thread was never really on track. It was mostly a bunch of wild speculation about things going on behind closed doors . The rest is because the fans are mad at Kathleen for "ruining" Star Wars. With most times it comes down to the fans not truly understanding the source material. And part of that is because not everything is explicitly stated in Star Wars, leaving room for individual opinions and different interpretaions.

give 'em hell, kid! lol....

The ‘chosen one’ is a prophecy. It was a prediction which clearly only one Jedi believed based on a medical test!
All religons worship nothing. It’s called faith.

edit: Also the Whills were ancient beings with a close and very strong connection to the force. They are NOT the force.

Last edited:

The ‘chosen one’ is a prophecy. It was a prediction which clearly only one Jedi believed based on a medical test!
All religons worship nothing. It’s called faith.

edit: Also the Whills were ancient beings with a close and very strong connection to the force. They are NOT the force.

"The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force." - George Lucas

Now obviously George changed his mind alot. So the it may not be that the Whills are the Force. Though at one time the Whills and the Force referred to the same thing. Anyways, either way you slice it, the Whills are the ones meant to be controlling the galaxy. And before you someone gives me I'm an OT purist I don't believe that. The Whills were there from day one, from the first draft.

"The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force." - George Lucas

Now obviously George changed his mind alot. So the it may not be that the Whills are the Force. Though at one time the Whills and the Force referred to the same thing. Anyways, either way you slice it, the Whills are the ones meant to be controlling the galaxy. And before you someone gives me I'm an OT purist I don't believe that. The Whills were there from day one, from the first draft.

I’m not necessarily an OT purist but I am from the original ‘class of ‘77’ and as such, I know of a time before retconning, special editions and contradictory back stories.

The adventures of Luke Starkiller taken from the journal of the Whills was nothing more than a device used as a ‘way in’ to this fictional Galaxy. Adding weight to the story like a document of historical events.
The story of the Skywalker family was relayed to the Whills by R2 D2, one hundred years after the events of the OT. If they are, as you say, controlling the galaxy or the force, they would already be aware of these events as well as responsible for them.

I’m not necessarily an OT purist but I am from the original ‘class of ‘77’ and as such, I know of a time before retconning, special editions and contradictory back stories.

The adventures of Luke Starkiller taken from the journal of the Whills was nothing more than a device used as a ‘way in’ to this fictional Galaxy. Adding weight to the story like a document of historical events.
The story of the Skywalker family was relayed to the Whills by R2 D2, one hundred years after the events of the OT. If they are, as you say, controlling the galaxy or the force, they would already be aware of these events as well as responsible for them.

This is how I see it. Mind you this complete speculation. Absolutely nothing to support this idea. But what if Whills are at war? If the Force has a Light Side and a Dark Side, then there must be Dark Side Whills? And maybe the 'Star Wars' is them fighting for control?

This is how I see it. Mind you this complete speculation. Absolutely nothing to support this idea. But what if Whills are at war? If the Force has a Light Side and a Dark Side, then there must be Dark Side Whills? And maybe the 'Star Wars' is them fighting for control?

Deep man! :eek It’s a theory. Reminds me of Human Traffic.

“Yoda wants to explore inner space. The Emperor wants to control outer space. And that’s the fundamental difference between the light side and the dark side”

And before you someone gives me I'm an OT purist I don't believe that. The Whills were there from day one, from the first draft.
So was Luke taking the Jedi oath in the presence of his father's force ghost in Empire. And the Emperor being a puppet figurehead with the like of Tarkin running the Empire.
Now even if you take all movies as canon, there's not a single mention of any Whills in any of them. So yea, afraid the OT purist thing is a thing even if to many it looks like a kid putting his hands on his ears and humming.

So was Luke taking the Jedi oath in the presence of his father's force ghost in Empire. And the Emperor being a puppet figurehead with the like of Tarkin running the Empire.
Now even if you take all movies as canon, there's not a single mention of any Whills in any of them. So yea, afraid the OT purist thing is a thing even if to many it looks like a kid putting his hands on his ears and humming.

I'm just pointing out that George had the Whills in mind when he wrote all of the films. And his ideas if he had done the ST we would have explored what and who the Whills are. Even midi-cholrians were around in 1977.

"It is said that certain creatures are born with a higher awareness of the Force than humans. Their brains are different; they have more midi-chlorians in their cells." - George Lucas 1977

George just didn't feel like it was the right time to mention them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back