Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

There's a lot of room in the back of this thing once you get rid of all the junk inside!

IMG_3450.jpg

I haven't dug into it just yet, but I've had a good bit of success doing all my own scratched up lighting on my MPC's. So I'm considering not even using the Bandai stuff on mine except for if there are LED's in there that would be useful, then I'll just cut 'em out and stick my own resistors. Since mine will be parked in the Echo base hangar, I won't need the engine lighting. BUT, in the case I ever have the PG not in the dio, I'll want them operable. So I'll use one of the remote set-ups I got from Modeltrain's to isolate the engines. Besides, I intend to have A LOT more lighting than the Bandai is set up for.

I haven't dug into it just yet, but I've had a good bit of success doing all my own scratched up lighting on my MPC's. So I'm considering not even using the Bandai stuff on mine except for if there are LED's in there that would be useful, then I'll just cut 'em out and stick my own resistors. Since mine will be parked in the Echo base hangar, I won't need the engine lighting. BUT, in the case I ever have the PG not in the dio, I'll want them operable. So I'll use one of the remote set-ups I got from Modeltrain's to isolate the engines. Besides, I intend to have A LOT more lighting than the Bandai is set up for.

Yeah I sold my stock Bandai lighting kit and am doing my own thing. Bought some strip LEDs for the engines, red LED with fiber optic for the red running lights, and then white LEDs for the landing lights along the underside hull, the landing gear lights, cockpit lights, and mandible headlights. It's taken a bit of surgery (because of it's snap-fit), but otherwise it's been a breeze. There's nothing like tearing into your $350 model kit with a dremel.

SB

Agreed... Bandai's approach to lighting is cheap anyway and does not allow for finer lighting details. I'm doing my own custom lighting, starting with the cockpit. I'll have some significant progress done on that tonight...hopefully.

I know huh!? I'm going to do all the same myself. Though, and I shouldn't worry about it now because I probably won't start mine till November, or whenever I get the ESB gear boxes from Tony...anyway, I did get the Shapeways low clearance fixtures for it, but not sure if side glow FO will do the trick or if I'll have to use red pico LED's. otherwise, yeah...a breeze. But you're quite correct...Bandai doesn't lend itself to well to "non-stock" lighting as I learned with the 1/72 Xwing kits. lots of drilling, cutting...delicately!
Yeah I sold my stock Bandai lighting kit and am doing my own thing. Bought some strip LEDs for the engines, red LED with fiber optic for the red running lights, and then white LEDs for the landing lights along the underside hull, the landing gear lights, cockpit lights, and mandible headlights. It's taken a bit of surgery (because of it's snap-fit), but otherwise it's been a breeze. There's nothing like tearing into your $350 model kit with a dremel.

SB

Yeah, you watch...someone will come out with an insane lighting kit for these and charge really stupid money for it. I bought one from Monsters in Motion for an MPC one time for like 80 bucks! Once I got it and saw what it consisted of...I returned it.
Agreed... Bandai's approach to lighting is cheap anyway and does not allow for finer lighting details. I'm doing my own custom lighting, starting with the cockpit. I'll have some significant progress done on that tonight...hopefully.

SB

I hear ya... I've already cleared out the mounting bracket for the cockpit lighting since I'm doing mine with the cockpit door open... The was a process! And I still have a ton of 'cleaning up' to do for the rest of my interior setup.

Yeah, you watch...someone will come out with an insane lighting kit for these and charge really stupid money for it. I bought one from Monsters in Motion for an MPC one time for like 80 bucks! Once I got it and saw what it consisted of...I returned it.

People usually pay for the convenience, too... I like doing things on my own...lol...probably why I enjoy modeling so much... So creating a lighting setup for my diorama is a fun and exciting project.

$80? That's crazy! Probably not an impressive setup seeing as you returned it right away...

Doing your own gives you freedom :thumbsup And yeah...after I saw what it was, I did twice as much on my own
People usually pay for the convenience, too... I like doing things on my own...lol...probably why I enjoy modeling so much... So creating a lighting setup for my diorama is a fun and exciting project.

$80? That's crazy! Probably not an impressive setup seeing as you returned it right away...

Bandai lights for kits are usually enough to make them look good BUT there is always room for improvement. I built the 1/2 scale BB8 and it came with some lights....only one for the "eye" up in his head. I did a complete lighting and even added sounds. It all fitted inside with minimal surgery..

41961456381_812418d40f_b.jpg
269A8986 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

41917315612_f6f3c6a835_b.jpg
269A8988 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

28090334438_8cf89cbfa0_b.jpg
269A9000 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

41242973544_1f2ecd99b7_b.jpg
269A9002 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

41242953534_96eee5bbef_b.jpg
269A9010 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

28090526758_79dacfc2f7_b.jpg
269A9014 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

40154938270_48272194aa_b.jpg
269A9034 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

hey hey, Scarecrow Joe! what's doing man, dog gone IT has flickr blocked :angry have to check it out when I get home. How's things on the Island?

Well lets hope not for your sake, but then those are items you don't need to start the build, but at some point you'll have to halt on it. I hope the assumption that someone out there is going to pick that ball up and run with it...is correct. I was at IPMS convention PHX 2018 and it the vendor section I saw a deluxe for 325.00. I woulda snatched it up but I've already got one.
View attachment 835083

Better late then never. Got the standard ver. from www.hlj.co.jp at %40. Now I just have to wait for the 3rd party decals and photoetched parts ( now that is like waiting for the sky to fall). :)

Just to share my thoughts for those who bought the Standard Version.

The decals included in this version basically its not a decal. Its a sticker. And waiting for a "Savior from the Gods of decals" is not an option. So.....

I'm planning to scan the stickers. Then do some cleaning up from photoshop. And finally print the scanned image to a plain decal sheet.

I hope this will be helpful for those who are planning to replace there decals. Not just for the falcon, but for other Bandai Star Wars models as well.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Just to share my thoughts for those who bought the Standard Version.

The decals included in this version basically its not a decal. Its a sticker. And waiting for a "Savior from the Gods of decals" is not an option. So.....

I'm planning to scan the stickers. Then do some cleaning up from photoshop. And finally print the scanned image to a plain decal sheet.

I hope this will be helpful for those who are planning to replace there decals. Not just for the falcon, but for other Bandai Star Wars models as well.​
A lot of us kit want the stencils as we paint the major panels.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back