Helmet fans: What are the best ones for my situation?

mcoractual

This is my bucket. It's hot. It fogs up like no tomorrow. Visibility is reduced. When I tried my hand at wearing it (indoors) let alone in the Florida heat and humidity, I could only last 2-5 minutes, even with my battery powered computer fans installed in it. Any suggestions for what might be better, prevent fogging, and keep my head somewhat cool?

20180210_123437.png20180226_014908.jpg20180226_014927.jpg20180226_015041.jpg

I can get better pictures of the interior if you like. And that cloth material in picture two forms a neck-seal. It's not inside the helmet when worn.

Neck seals are cool and all, but hold in the heat. If you must have one, maybe change the material to a perforated jersey type material so it breathes better.

Do you have any vent holes in the helmet itself, to pull outside air in and push inside air out? The air needs to circulate or the visor will fog up. I can't tell by the pics if your helmet has any open air vents. My Mando bucket has a couple hidden air vents, and lacks a neck seal (I use a balaclava) and will two small 5vdc fans, it doesn't fog up at all.

The only other thing that I can suggest is a cool water circulation set up. Adam Savage did one for one of his 2001: A Space Odyssey suits. It's on his Tested YouTube channel. That will help keep everything cool, which will help the fogging condition.

Yep I second the air circulation... Especially with the neck seal (as mentioned) you are gonna cook. That helm has a lot of simulated vents, are any of the open or modifiable to be open? Also as mentioned, If you can get your two fans to circulate fresh air constantly with one pushing air and one pulling, that would help a bunch. Best of luck with it!

Neck seals are cool and all, but hold in the heat. If you must have one, maybe change the material to a perforated jersey type material so it breathes better.

Do you have any vent holes in the helmet itself, to pull outside air in and push inside air out? The air needs to circulate or the visor will fog up. I can't tell by the pics if your helmet has any open air vents. My Mando bucket has a couple hidden air vents, and lacks a neck seal (I use a balaclava) and will two small 5vdc fans, it doesn't fog up at all.

The only other thing that I can suggest is a cool water circulation set up. Adam Savage did one for one of his 2001: A Space Odyssey suits. It's on his Tested YouTube channel. That will help keep everything cool, which will help the fogging condition.

Would you happen to have that link?

For fogging, get some motorcycle visor anti fog spray. One quick spray will get you a couple of weeks wear without fogging and just re apply. Its really cheap too.

For fogging, get some motorcycle visor anti fog spray. One quick spray will get you a couple of weeks wear without fogging and just re apply. Its really cheap too.

Does this for sure work in a humid environment? I live in hell (Florida).

Thanks! I hope I can find fans that come with USB cords. My soldering skills suck, as I learned the hard way.

Mike J. beat me to it.

Also thanks.

Edit: This is what I've found so far....
https://www.etsy.com/listing/542554...h_query=helmet cooling fan&ref=sr_gallery-1-9

opinions: Junk or not?

Or should I go with these?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/474837...bearing-4500rpm-fan?ref=listing-shop-header-0

And what would the best rechargeable battery pack be to get for these?

Last edited:
Blower type fans like that are the way to go. Much more efficient in creating air pressure and directing the flow. No mentioning whether they are 6V or 12V. If they are 12V they would run at lower rpm and quieter at 5 Volt from a charging bank. You can get 2200 or 4700mAH ones. Or build your own (adafruit.com). Would run for 1-3 hours. Price is reasonable if you don't want to wire yourself as these are $5-7 a piece.

Neither kit is junk. But you can do it yourself for a fraction of the cost. Do you have any electronic experience?

Not much. As I said, I suck at soldering. I attempted it in the past and it didn't work with what I was doing. (LED Lights). Not sure if it was faulty parts or just bad soldering on my part, as before soldering, I couldn't even get the wires of appropriate charges/colors to accept a power source besides the two I had. It was like the wires were dead. Tried again after soldering and still had the same result.

Last edited:
You can use it on swimming masks, doesnt get much more humid than under water!
Seriously though, one of the uses for it is to keep bathroom mirrors clear, so you should be fine. More info here:

https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-to-use-anti-fog-solutions/

Also most of this stuff is literally well under £10/$10. So you cant really lose.

Oorah. Thank you very much. I hope it does help. I always worry with these kinds of products, because it's not the typical use for it. Between this product and high RPM fans, I think it will help. I hope.

I did my helmet fan set up without soldering a single wire.

I used two squirrel cage fans, a 9v battery box with on/ off switch, two twist on wire nuts, and some heat shrink tubing. Only tool I needed was a set of wire strippers. Has lasted quite a while, and even survived the destruction of my first bucket. Secured the fans and the box with industrial sticky backed velcro.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back