Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Something tells me they will double down and just keep defending him. It's too late for them to fire him now after he made them all this money so I doubt that his trilogy is really in any danger of not being made.

Something tells me they will double down and just keep defending him. It's too late for them to fire him now after he made them all this money so I doubt that his trilogy is really in any danger of not being made.
Doesn't it strike you as weird that they would announce a trilogy before his movie is even released? It seems like a pretty blatant PR move, and I admit it worked on me. I thought, "Damn, this movie must be something else!" But now I very much doubt it will get made. Lord and Miller were 2 weeks short of finishing principal photography when they got fired. It's easy to cancel his trilogy when so many other movies are being developed, you have IX next, GoT dudes, Simon Kinberg project, etc. There's no poster, no trailer, and no hype for a RJ trilogy. Maybe it will depend on how Solo does... if it flops it will shine a brighter light on the downward trend and negativity that TLJ ushered in.

I thought the same thing when I first heard . If they are planning a whole other trilogy with him then they must be incredibly confident in TLJ. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they only announced it to get people even more hyped for Ep. 8, which worked on me and subsequently dashed my hopes. We will see though. After there was so much negative press with Lord and Miller getting canned and then Colin Treverrow getting canned, you gotta wonder what their mindset is now.

If they even care about the negative reviews from fans (which I doubt as they will likely only respond if sales aren't as projected) then it begs the question, would they risk firing ANOTHER director, even after he made one Star Wars film? Who the hell knows.

Well maybe we'll get luck again, and episode IX will be the saving grace of the trilogy, like ROTS was for the prequels. Although admittedly, I enjoyed AOTC much more than TLJ.

Back in 2002 or whenever Attack of the Clones came out I was excited to see it because I loved the Phantom Menace (I was only 10). But I remember leaving the theater feeling suddenly disinterested and deflated about Star Wars as a whole to the point where I didn't even see Revenge of the Sith. Exact same thing happened when I saw the Last Jedi. I enjoyed both the Force Awakens and absolutely loved Rogue One so naturally i was eager to see this. But like Attack of the clones before it this film kind of killed my enthusiasm for the rest of the trilogy and Star Wars as a whole.

Well maybe we'll get luck again, and episode IX will be the saving grace of the trilogy, like ROTS was for the prequels. Although admittedly, I enjoyed AOTC much more than TLJ.
We'll see as I'm not totally writing off episode IX yet. With the advent of this new trilogy I was finally getting a reinvigorated interest in Star Wars again after years of it being dormant. Then the Last Jedi came along and killed that interest like AOTC before it. That happen to anybody else?

We'll see as I'm not totally writing off episode IX yet. With the advent of this new trilogy I was finally getting a reinvigorated interest in Star Wars again after years of it being dormant. Then the Last Jedi came along and killed that interest like AOTC before it. That happen to anybody else?

Same here, I still say out of all the prequels I think TPM is the best (relatively speaking of course). Like you I was a kid when I first saw it and I liked it, although I felt that it wasn't really right but couldn't really put a finger on it. AOTC I straight away hated when leaving the cinema and I've only seen it once ever since when I had my "let's revisit the prequels to see if they're really that awful...they are" session a few years back.
The difference is that my like for TPM is gone now and there are no happy nostalgic memories at all, so it's not an issue for me to just block out the prequels and ignore them. TLJ on the other hand has taken TFA with it down the drain for me and that's the part I'm most unhappy about.

Let's see. TFA was a rehash of ANH. To some degree, TLJ borrowed elements from both ESB and ROTJ. So, unless they do a retread of the prequels. Episode IX should be completely new territory. We may not like it, but it will be new:rolleyes

I feel the same. The announcement of a new trilogy had me excited. I spent a lot of time on the webs, diving back into all things Star Wars which lead me to the world of saber building, TCSS, FX Sabers and eventually to the RPF. The release of TFA came, riding the nostalgia train all the way to the bank. At the time, I was on board. It was clearly a soft reboot but it featured our beloved heroes and introduced some new mostly likeable characters, setting the stage for this new trilogy. Then RJ took a crap in his hand, threw it at the fanbase then wiped it on JJ’s face.
At this point, curiosity will be my only reason to watch IX, although I question JJ’s ability to create a compelling conclusion and doubt anything will improve TLJ in the overall story arc ......sorry, I mean arc, there is no story.

I bought the UHD advance digital release and I have to say....

If any of you haven't seen it yet, the 95-minute documentary in TLJ with the Director's journey is quite a treat to see and probably one of the best more in-depth making-of featurettes I have seen in years for any film, probably since the Lord of the Rings Appendices. Whether you like the movie or not so much, it's a very cool behind-the-scenes look I wish they would do more often with films they've gotten so sloppy with making in supplemental content in more recent years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see. TFA was a rehash of ANH. To some degree, TLJ borrowed elements from both ESB and ROTJ. So, unless they do a retread of the prequels. Episode IX should be completely new territory. We may not like it, but it will be new:rolleyes
That's one thing I appreciated about Rogue One is that it didn't adhere to the usual Star Wars plot structure. Or atleast not as much as the TFA or TLJ. The benefit of being a singular film not connected to a trilogy (until the end anyway). Rogue One also reminded me most of the kind of Star Wars I grew up with. As in it was a bit more adult and serious opposed to the other new films which understandably seem more constructed to appeal to children. Not only the films but I remember Star Wars games from the 90's like Dark Forces and Shadows of the Empire were often pretty bleak and scary.

Listening to Rian rattle off his rationalizations in these TLJ featurettes is just infuriating. Can't really process them individually right now... so much wasted potential. It's like me writing a play on a Waffle House napkin and then getting Julie Taymor to take it to Broadway with no edits.

I hate that fight scene, it is one of the worst choreographed movie fights I've ever seen.

Jackie Chan once said that if you fight multiple opponents then you have to give them something to do or be occupied with when they are not directly engaging, which makes perfect sense.

Here they gave them spinning around, "you're not actually fighting anyone at the moment, thats ok, go spin in the corner".

They actually managed to make a lightsaber fight lame.

I hate that fight scene, it is one of the worst choreographed movie fights I've ever seen.

Jackie Chan once said that if you fight multiple opponents then you have to give them something to do or be occupied with when they are not directly engaging, which makes perfect sense.

Here they gave them spinning around, "you're not actually fighting anyone at the moment, thats ok, go spin in the corner".

They actually managed to make a lightsaber fight lame.
This right here. But how many times have I heard this described as the best fight sequence in the whole saga? Choreography doesn't mean much if your characters are just going through the motions. The next time we see Rey after the fight, she's grinning in the gunner seat having the time of her life. There's no weight to anything she just experienced or heard from Kylo, and she makes it off the Supremacy like a 10th grader sneaking out of study hall.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back