TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

It's for safety, not theft. I know most people around here are like me and always carry a couple of drivers when out and disassemble anything/everything they can.
You've used Torx-head screws for the last time Admiral!
121a094936cf2356eee883bd86840b1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So I got Roger Christian's book, Cinema Alchemist, for Christmas, and I finally got to the part where he discusses the first ever Graflex Lightsaber that he created.

Now this info may have already been discussed in another thread, but in the book, Roger reveals that the T tracks he used for the first ever Graflex were "rubber", a word he uses several times when describing them (although he never says what the t tracks were from). He goes on to say he put chrome tape over the stamping on the clamp, and the D ring was "screwed" in. He also says the bubble strip was glued in as well.

I know we are talking TFA here, but I think it's interesting and worth noting.

As far as I know, no one has seen a pic of the bottom of the ANH saber. Is it possible if actually was screwed in and not riveted? As for Roger's other claims, there is no reason to doubt him, although I've never noticed the tape on the clamp. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible, but it is also possible he doesn't remember every detail. I am not saying he is wrong but details like this are often remembered incorrectly. Either way, it is definitely some info that is worth considering for the ANH saber.

About the T-Tracks. I read the same thing when he did his Reddit AMA.. He said its 'pliable', that he was able to tuck the t-tracks into the other blaster props that he made. Also, he explained that it was a weatherstrip and those are supposed to be rubber and flexiable to mount.

So I got Roger Christian's book, Cinema Alchemist, for Christmas, and I finally got to the part where he discusses the first ever Graflex Lightsaber that he created.

Now this info may have already been discussed in another thread, but in the book, Roger reveals that the T tracks he used for the first ever Graflex were "rubber", a word he uses several times when describing them (although he never says what the t tracks were from). He goes on to say he put chrome tape over the stamping on the clamp, and the D ring was "screwed" in. He also says the bubble strip was glued in as well.

As far as I know, no one has seen a pic of the bottom of the ANH saber. Is it possible if actually was screwed in and not riveted? As for Roger's other claims, there is no reason to doubt him, although I've never noticed the tape on the clamp. What do you all think?

Quick a question for you guys-

Ive got some TFA Roy grips on the way and i noticed that I may have a possible problem when attaching the rivets.

I have a rivet gun that has 3 different tips for different sized rivets...it seems that these tips may br too large to fit into the girp spacing for the rivets.

Have any of you had a problem with this before?

I had the same issue so I used a small nut which filled the gap (as Lichtbringer suggested) which worked but was fiddly

The consensus here is that his memory is hazy. He has said contradictory things and while the reddit AMA was happening, we were guessing what he could have used and he actually ended up stating some of our guesses in his later answers. (Looked like he was reading our research to form his answers)

Went to Disneyland yesterday... looking at pics online, I think the Launchbay sabers in Florida and California actually use different grip screws... comedy gold. Don't quote me until I do more photo research...

My personal opinion regarding the Launch Bay sabers-

obviously these sabers would be on display for countless people to examine close-up, so they probably idealized the fasteners to look more like a piece of sci-fi tech rather than a common rivet.

The film was different situation since he saber wouldnt get such a tight detail shot of the rivets.

Just a word of warning though that I ended up using epoxy to secure the rivets from the inside of the tube. For some reason the rivets didn't close as they should have :confused

Here's my solution for turning a vintage style glass eye to remove the knurling. This is from Roman's new graflex. I pushed it on to one of these new-fangled Dremel drums that expands when you pop it down. It was a tight fit but it worked. Just ran it along a file a few times and then sanded smooth.

IMG_9779.JPGIMG_9780.JPGIMG_9783.JPG

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but does anyone sell just the smooth metallic tape for an ESB clamp? I was gonna do a true TFA with a clamp cover, but I think I want to do an ESB/ANH hybrid.

I still haven't decided if I want to file the glass eye ring. Remind me, there is a version that isn't filed in the movie?

I still haven't decided if I want to file the glass eye ring. Remind me, there is a version that isn't filed in the movie?

Everything seen onscreen is filed. The Maz Box variant could have knurled, it's seen from the reverse side.

The Launch Bay sabers, made from Graflexes by the prop team, are supposed to be accurate, but aren't. They re still knurled as well.

Everything seen onscreen is filed. The Maz Box variant could have knurled, it's seen from the reverse side.

The Launch Bay sabers, made from Graflexes by the prop team, are supposed to be accurate, but aren't. They re still knurled as well.

I know the max box has been in question before. But I strongly believe the max box and wired saber are the same saber.

So I'm figuring the max box saber has the brass eye as well

Or at least that's what I hope!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back