T-TRACK GRIP PROJECT

I think that the channel is also there on the Luke ESB ranch saber, although it is harder to tell because there are no staright on shots of the bottom of the saber.

Dan Stokes
DDStokes@aol.com

[attachmentid=6876]
[attachmentid=6877]
[attachmentid=6878]

I will post pics of all the T-track profiles I have found, and pics of all of the undersides too. Many of them have a few slight channels underneath (not a neat, smooth radius).

I believe that these cannot be an idealised version but an exact T track replica.

Gabe - this material does bend without cracking - trust me ;)

The pics of the track I've found so far - on the right is a Yodashouse grip to give scale.
If anyone needs to have samples for possible replica productions, just let me know :)

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/T-track-01.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/T-track-02.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/T-track-03.jpg[/image]

Yep - they bend fine.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/T-track-04.jpg[/image]

..and the full lengths

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/T-track-05.jpg[/image]

Laslo, you rock.

If anyone was on the fence on believing me when I said they were plastic, this should pretty much push them off. I hope.

I am 110% convinced. I was 99.9% convinced before.

It's black plastic of some kind, and this is the exact same curve (along the bottom) seen on every strip I've come across on everything that had T Track:

ttrack.jpg

Black. Plastic.

Just to reiterate since I missed the latest discussion in this thread-
One of the original prop guys from Bapty confirmed that the T-track was plastic and bent with a heat gun. He also mentioned that they ran out of black at one point and used brown t-track painted black on some of the guns. The black paint did not stick well.

I came across this info when I was asked to consult on the restoration of the stunt ANH E-11's that were recently sold from Bapty (the props that were deact Sterlings with aluminum cast rear halves).

I'm definitely looking forward to some accurate T-track for my Sterling.

I've aquired it from 1 office (borrowed from some vintage furniture) some from some cabinets I bought, and 3 profiles from some aging hardware shops.

Just to recap - although they look great, they are not quite high, or wide enough to give the correct look on a replica prop. However, I've seen pictures of an ESB stunt that appears to have thinner grips - so it's poosible a wide range of profiles had been used.

Laszlo,

Ok, you made a believer out of me, and for that:

seal_1.gif

:D

Now, if nobody has any objections, I'd like to ask you for a couple of small samples of what you'd consider the most screen-accurate profile and mail it to me so I can reverse-engineer it, model it, get you guys to green-light the model, and get it quoted. I'd need to send a piece of one to the vendors so they could evaluate the type of plastic used using a Rockwell Hardness tester, solvent, flame test, etc. I'd probably get a quote from a domestic extruder as well as an offshore one and see if the significant savings in materials and labor offshore isn't canceled out by air or sea freight.

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 28 2006, 08:27 AM
Laszlo,

seal_1.gif

[snapback]1195470[/snapback]​

lol :)

Gabe - I wouldn't reverse engineer any of the samples I have as they are not quite correct - rather use them as supporting reference to the actual profiles we see in the original prop pictures. I can send you a piece of each of the track types so that you have all the references.

PM me your address.

Which version is going be replicated? ANH? ROTJ? etc? Or are they all the same?

Originally posted by laszlo+Feb 28 2006, 01:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laszlo @ Feb 28 2006, 01:45 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Prop Runner
@Feb 28 2006, 08:27 AM
Laszlo,

seal_1.gif

[snapback]1195470[/snapback]​

lol :)

Gabe - I wouldn't reverse engineer any of the samples I have as they are not quite correct - rather use them as supporting reference to the actual profiles we see in the original prop pictures. I can send you a piece of each of the track types so that you have all the references.

PM me your address.
[snapback]1195560[/snapback]​
[/b]

Originally posted by GINO@Feb 28 2006, 05:56 PM
All that I have seen from all three movies appear to all be the same.
[snapback]1195704[/snapback]​

The best pics we have, show ESB grips - the ranch, the barbican, the Vader ROTJ.....so imagine it would be one of them.

Laszlo: PM sent. :)

Gino: if you have any dimensioned sketches I'd be grateful if you'd share them so I can compare to the samples I receive.

Anybody else is also welcome to send me their dimensional and geometric interpretation of the T-tracks based on scaled measurements from the photos. Any other good photo references of the screen-used T-track not already posted here would be appreciated too. :)

Question: for quote purposes, what length should I be requesting?

- Gabe

Luuke - That's a completely different prop.
The "Ranch" saber (aka the one seen on display and only Hero ESB left at Lucasfilm) was used during scenes on Dagobah. It's not the same one used in the Wampa cave.
There were several Luke ESB saber props.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back