The "Cars" that made us....

Re: The "Cars" that made us....

Do you know the expression, "You never forget your first love."? I wonder if it applies to cars, too. I daresay it does.

So here is mine. It was love at first sight (and sound) for me, circa the late '60s.

I was barely a toddler....but boy, oh boy, did I love this sleek, rumbling beauty!

giphy.gif

The Wook

Last edited:
The white Testarossa from Miami Vice. It hit a chord in my body like no other creation. I watched recorded episodes on VHS commercials and all over and over agai just to see the Testarossa.

One day I was driving my rusted 1972 Buick and saw a white TR in the showroom of Steve Harris Imports in Salt Lake circa 1991. It was the first one I had ever seen in person. I walked into the show room floor and there she was behind velvet ropes next to an F40. I didnt even notice the F40 as the lines of the white TR captivated me. The sales guy wouldnt even open it up let alone let me go behind the rope.

Fast forward 14 years and I finally scraped up enough cash to pay for half up front for a white TR. I flew up to Oregon and bought her. I pent the night in a motel and was going over the books/records before going to bed. I pulled out the original owners manual and warranty book. It was sold in 1991 at Steve Harris Imports. It was the same exact car that I had been drooling over that cold winter day.

The car below is us in my current one, I sold the first one as I didnt like the black interior but this one is a keeper. She is going in the shop to get her major service this spring with some other preventative maintenance. Every time I opoen the garage, its like im a kid again.

The corvette summer stingray was so awesome as an 8 year old.

I own the only surviving actual Stingray from the movie.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180115/f7810cdcc19bece18e57c8c570079055.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The white Testarossa from Miami Vice. It hit a chord in my body like no other creation. I watched recorded episodes on VHS commercials and all over and over agai just to see the Testarossa.

One day I was driving my rusted 1972 Buick and saw a white TR in the showroom of Steve Harris Imports in Salt Lake circa 1991. It was the first one I had ever seen in person. I walked into the show room floor and there she was behind velvet ropes next to an F40. I didnt even notice the F40 as the lines of the white TR captivated me. The sales guy wouldnt even open it up let alone let me go behind the rope.

Fast forward 14 years and I finally scraped up enough cash to pay for half up front for a white TR. I flew up to Oregon and bought her. I pent the night in a motel and was going over the books/records before going to bed. I pulled out the original owners manual and warranty book. It was sold in 1991 at Steve Harris Imports. It was the same exact car that I had been drooling over that cold winter day.

The car below is us in my current one, I sold the first one as I didnt like the black interior but this one is a keeper. She is going in the shop to get her major service this spring with some other preventative maintenance. Every time I opoen the garage, its like im a kid again.

http://i.imgur.com/ZPEdqWml.jpg

The corvette summer stingray was so awesome as an 8 year old.

Between the two of you I'm not even cool enough to post here anymore.

Seriously, those are two Badass cars. Even without having a cool Movie/TV tie in.

Sweet! Do you know who built those originally for the movie?

Acording the linked article Dick Korkes of Korky's Kustom Studios. I googled the car one night trying to see if it lived up to my memory like Mega Force. It did and didnt if that makes sense. I would have it my collection just for the cool factor. Plus my 8 year old brain thought it was the coolest car EVER.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/corp-0801-1973-chevrolet-corvette-summer-movie-car/

- - - Updated - - -

Between the two of you I'm not even cool enough to post here anymore.

Seriously, those are two Badass cars. Even without having a cool Movie/TV tie in.

I was getting tires put on my daily driver and started chatting with a guy who was getting a set for his stock Delorean. Long story short, he has a full on BTTF car, lives down the road and has a nice collection himself. Ive steered him over here to join in the fun.

Oh … also:

Joe’s G2 Racer from Gatchaman (A.K.A. Jason’s car from Battle of the Planets)
...loved seeing that cool weaponized car when I was a kid ;):thumbsup

g21bm6.jpg

1990 300zx- saw a commercial for one when I was 10 years old and knew one day I would have to have one.

Found a great deal on one that needed some work when I was 22 fixed it up made some modifications of my own and had it for 13 years
I learned how to work on cars with this one.
Gave me a good many skills I still use for prop and costume making
Met my wife cause I was in a car club with her brother

This is the last pic I took of it before selling it.

https://i.imgur.com/PVxSMFwl.jpg

The money I got for it went into building a shop and filling it with tools so that me and my daughter could build costumes and props and plenty of other art/home projects together.

best reason of selling a car, ever :thumbsup

Go Speed Racer gooooooo.:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Oh … also:

Joe’s G2 Racer from Gatchaman (A.K.A. Jason’s car from Battle of the Planets)
...loved seeing that cool weaponized car when I was a kid ;):thumbsup

View attachment 787767

I would rush home from school to watch that show. Very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

The Trans-Am from Smokey and the Bandit was the first car that ignited my love of automobiles. That passion continues today with this being my newest acquisition. :cool

https://s10.postimg.org/bv8x3un7t/20170514_110632.jpg

That is one of the sexiest designs to ever come out of the States, period.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back