Groot Costume - GOTG Vol.1 (WIP) 2017 Halloween (COMPLETE with Vid)

Re: Groot Costume - GOTG Vol.1 (WIP) 2017 Halloween

Test fit with almost completed arms
M3q3i46l.jpg

IETglU7l.jpg

last coat of flex bond for this project....finally
XeYso3jl.jpg

and now for some fun stuff....Paint!
KwyK6Hkl.jpg

RjOwnbul.jpg

still have the moss to add but that's close to the finished look.

I just found this and talk about professional. This is something you would see walking around Universal Studios with a guard person to help. That is sick. Love the cooling fan idea and arm extensions.

Little more progress - looking on track to finish next weekend.

5JsuB75l.jpg

final base coated pieces
nyMFhKVl.jpg

and before and after on the legs

V2vk3zAl.jpg

Got my moss and clear coat which on my test piece knocked out some of the reflectiveness so glad that will help flatten the look out.

Ace helping with the final touches - flex bonding the Moss on
mU6xLufl.jpg

sB47rVAl.jpg

DXR7Nv5l.jpg

Final mock up
PkPdli7l.jpg

5ez8M4rl.jpg

and getting ready for final test run
STUILJQl.jpg

Last edited:

Final test run

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npWF1lFezR0" target="_blank">
Final specs
302 Labor Hours
80 ft of Pipe insulation
43 ft of window sealer
5 packs of EVA floor matts
leftover L200 from bumble build (used about 75% of it)
nearly a Gallon of flex bond
42oz of Barge cement
12 total ounces of Angelus Leather paints
2 cans of Sealer
3 bags of Moss

Last edited by a moderator:
So I met all my goals! after the first event

1) Can be stored in my above Garage Attic (All parts can fit thru access opening) YES
2) Can be broken down in enough parts that it can be transported in my midsized SUV (bumble we literally just had him strapped to the top roof rack and prayed for good weather) YES
Jf9fA7Ml.jpg

3) More Focus on costume cooling (Last years 2 events in Bumble both days reached high 80's low 90's) I would say I am comfortable for about 1 hour in 85 degree weather and then things get sweaty but I never felt over heated so I am happy with the cooling.

4) Focus on Costume Mobility - ( Since I am going to be on stilts I wanted as much range of motion as possible)
Our downtown has uneven pavement as well ad multiple construction areas and I was able to navigate around just fine and I ducked through many different door openings so that worked as well.
5) Weight - keep it low as possible not counting the stilts I think is right around 14lbs -same as my camera back pack I travel with so good on that

6) Durability - make it so that it can last for years and I can wear it many times -hoping with all the coats of flex bond and sealer the proves to be true but I had no issues at the first event.
7) Re-use as much of the bumble material from last year to help offset cost.This I did awesome on probably use 75% bringing my material cost in around $230 which I am happy with for the size and quality of the costume.-and that includes the stilts which I can unbolt and use for other things and the rocket jet pack.

and one more pic for fun

the only tree that hugs back
uYzB8WDl.jpg

Jf9fA7Ml.jpg

uYzB8WDl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been stalking your thread for awhile, but I've been too busy with my Halloween builds to comment. I just wanted to say how AWESOME I think your build is! Truly epic, sir! GREAT work! :)

Last edited:
Awesome build AND getting some national exposure!! Did they contact you or something? Congrats!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/dad-build...-guardians-180303576--abc-news-Halloween.html

Yeah they called me the other day to do a phone interview - The vid was posted on a few web sites and I know at least on LADbible it was at 4 million views in like 3 days or something crazy.

So it's been fun seeing peoples reaction to it and it will be a cool story to share with my daughter once she is old enough to realize she went viral on the internet at 3 lol

I know this may be a strange question but where are you based out of? and do you plan on taking this to any conventions?

Nismo...saw your vid on CTV in Ottawa, Canada:cool Great job!! Said to the wife looking at the vid: "Hey, he's a member of the RPF!!"

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back