Coryn's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry : Lego movie Benny "SPACESHIP!"

Coryn

About my costume: My costume is Benny, from the Lego movie. The reason I am doing Benny is our share for love of spaceships. Benny is my favorite character from the movie and I knew he was to be my costume from the first time I saw the movie.

How I created it: For this costume I mainly used cardboard and tape, along with some paint. I took a random Lego man and measured the different parts of its legs and other parts. Then I drew it up on graph paper (pic 1-2) to scale then used an algorithm to size it up to fit me.

Challenges: There has been many setbacks in this build so far including misplacement and bad measuring. Another challenge is that I am really bad at focusing and get distracted a lot.

My skill and experience: Being the first costume I have made almost all alone means that I have little experience. True, and false. I have helped Guri (my mom) with my costume last year and learned enough to get started.

In Progress photos:
diagram.jpg
calculations.jpg
legs.jpg
Progress of legs
helmettop.jpg
Molding top of the helmet with paper strips, flour, and water

Last edited:
Wow, looking really good! I remember those old "Benny" minifigs. They were old even when I was a kid! Keep up the good work.

I am all done but here is some more IP photos. I was struck with laryngitis this week and so my mom had to do a lot of work, and I couldn't talk.

This is me working on the body
body.jpg

For the inside of the costume we used packing tape, but on the outside we used masking tape because the glue and paint sticks to it better.

bodylegs.jpg
The body with legs
chasingmyles.jpg
While I worked on the body and legs my mom did the hands
which means this is the only IP pic of the hands (she took the pics
of me)

I also finished the top of the head with about 5 layers of the flour-water concrete paper strips

Last edited:
Sorry about the lack of photos for the arms in progress, but I can tell you how we did it. My mom figured out how to make the right shape and made a template for me. I then cut it out one way then flipped it and cut it out again. Then my mom and I tapped it together and added a hole for the hands to go through. It was then that I got sick and had to rest. My mom then made the rest of the head. We found out that if we put glue all over the costume, it prevents the paint from seeping into the cardboard providing a great plastic look ones painted.

P1120060.jpg

Our first glue test
bb1c7287-5f7e-4718-ad14-b410ff0c9136.jpg

I was able to work on the back-pack a little bit, but my mom had to finish that too.
P1120081.jpg

My mom worked up to 2:00 in the morning on this, Go moms!
glue.jpg

Some more glue progress.

Last edited:
This has been such a joy to work on with you. :D You really inspire me with all your ideas and the way you worked so hard and figured out so many of the problems we ran into... and you were so sweet to me the whole way through with all your appreciation for what I was doing.

(He was so funny guys - when he couldn't talk he had his computer set up to type his comments and sounded like Stephen Hawkins. haha!)

I have to post this photo for you, even though we didn't use this part of the costume, because I think it just really goes to show your engineering abilities:

legohelmet-1.jpg~original

For everyone else reading this - he really wanted to be able to turn the head while in it and devised this mechanism where his head was in his Speed Racer helmet and it was attached to the Space Helmet. I had tried the night before and mine just kept bending and breaking, but my little guy got up and told me about how strong triangle shapes were and whipped this thing up, cutting the curves to fit perfectly and all the weight would have theoretically been on the collar, not his head... he'd just have a bit of friction when he turned it. We had it all taped in and it would have worked... but the extra height made the mouth too high and he couldn't see (plus, I was still nervous about his neck, even though he told me he was fine).

Anyway - I had to throw that proud mamma bit in there. :D

And this!!

It's so hard to believe that I bought that Dented Helmet Tee-shirt for my older son almost 10 years ago... very surreal.

Last edited:
Incredible! I was following this for a while, and the final product makes me smile every single time I see it. You got some great character and personality into this costume, in addition to the perfect scale and details. Bravo!

I finally thought to get a photo with the little guy! (Big in the costume!)

bennyandmommy.jpg

Last night at my parents Benny stood right next to where they were handing out the candy and would stand still until they got close and then reach for them. haha! He scared a bunch of people more than the monsters and clowns at the houses on either side of us. (We warned him when a really little kid was coming so he could wave before they got close)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back