Sail barge saber in March 2017 WIRED magazine?

Dan ... so were there 2 or 3 additional holes in the clamp? I'd reckon this is important for Roy to know before he sets out to work on his 3D, unless he already knows this, than disregard this post . . . yet I seem to recall having seen 3 in a picture . . . as I'm typing this from my late dad's laptop I have no access to my Archive ;)

Chaïm

17a89f0354af01dd9f0dcae7e18ad920.jpg

Not sure where I found this pic, so I apologize if I stole this; it's not my intention. Definitely a 3rd hole, though!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I believe that allen bolts were used (probably on an ESB- era Graflex stunt) to secure a blade, so they drilled through the clamp, then the clamp was repurposed for the shared stunt/v3. I think it was PoopaPapaPalps that posited that the holes might line up with some of the holes on the Graflex-based ROTJ Vader stunt. The 3 allen bolts on the Vader above the clamp would line up with the 2 holes either side of the "control box" part of the Graflex clamp (with the center hole being obscured by the clamp card). Then the 3rd clamp hole lines up with the allen bolt on the back of the Vader saber. It makes sense to me.

My theory was that the clamp was re-purposed from this:

View attachment 714327

At least the one brass screw seems to line up with the one hole....

That's what I thought too ... yet that would leave the 8-like tiny holes on both sides where the wires or cotterpins went through, right? Where are those on the V3 clamp? Or were they drilled away perhaps?

Chaïm

That's what I thought too ... yet that would leave the 8-like tiny holes on both sides where the wires or cotterpins went through, right? Where are those on the V3 clamp? Or were they drilled away perhaps?

Chaïm

Well the figure 8 hole would approximately be where this hole is, no?

(Pic from Spirit of Obi's V3 run thread)

LROTJS11.jpg

Obi_Wan_ANHSaber1_jpg_original.jpg

Though it does screw up the placement of the brass screw hole that I just pointed out....

- - - Updated - - -

On second thought... it's too high up....

Dan ... so were there 2 or 3 additional holes in the clamp? I'd reckon this is important for Roy to know before he sets out to work on his 3D, unless he already knows this, than disregard this post . . . yet I seem to recall having seen 3 in a picture . . . as I'm typing this from my late dad's laptop I have no access to my Archive ;)

Chaïm

I have collected many pictures, so I will investigate those and model the holes in the correct position and size in the same way I always do it: with perspective matching in 3D.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data//500/LROTJS11.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/kdb902xcx/Obi_Wan_ANHSaber1_jpg_original.jpg
Though it does screw up the placement of the brass screw hole that I just pointed out....

- - - Updated - - -

This pic made me realize that the clamp bars are also covered with chrome tape on the V3/SS. You can see the light indentation where the threaded hole is.

Got any pictures, Mance,to back up that story, pretty please?

Chaïm
I threw this together really quick to illustrate the 3 allen bolt cluster and how it corresponds to the shared stunt clamp. It's hard to tell from the photo distortion, but now that I look at it, the holes on the clamp might be spaced to far apart from each other to line up, but again, without being able to examine the sabers in person, it's hard to tell.
8a5d72b394af275dcac3b1f86d55aa1d.jpg

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data//500/LROTJS11.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/kdb902xcx/Obi_Wan_ANHSaber1_jpg_original.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT
actually, flip the clamp around. It should line up like this:
This also places the 3rd clamp hole in about the right spot.
6e603d97510b776698d23ffccea12e11.jpg

Last edited:
im still a little lost.. as always. i understand where your coming from MCM. but how do we know for sure the RoTJ vader stunt had holes there before RoTJ? im no expert on the stunts, but dont ever remember seeing a graflex stunt with vader screws on it before?

seths book does cover that faders RoTJ saber was most likely lukes ESB stunt saber, but is there any picture of lukes ESB stunt with the screws in the same location? im curious because I've never seen a photo and would love to add it to my collection (i just recently saw Obi wan's in the dirt beside him, if i get to see this ESB stunt with the vader screws it will be like christmas)

I haven't seen a clear one if the entire ESB stunts-- it just seemed like a safe assumption that was why the Vader saber had all those screws in it. They weren't there to be seen.

There is this ESB stunt-- it's resin but whatever it was molded from seemed to have screws in the clamp area.

stunty.jpg

I haven't seen a clear one if the entire ESB stunts-- it just seemed like a safe assumption that was why the Vader saber had all those screws in it. They weren't there to be seen.

There is this ESB stunt-- it's resin but whatever it was molded from seemed to have screws in the clamp area.

View attachment 714349

aaaahhh.... but if it was, there should be 2 holes on each end of the clamp on the v3? im only seeing holes on 1 end. maybe im over thinking here

Resin stunts were used literally for STUNTS, not dueling. A thrown saber, a saber on a belt whist jumping around flipping, a saber lost in the middle of a duel that clatters to the ground-- things that they wouldn't risk a hero with outside of the duels.

aaaahhh.... but if it was, there should be 2 holes on each end of the clamp on the v3? im only seeing holes on 1 end. maybe im over thinking here

Yeah-- the holes don't line up in this case-- I think I'm more just saying that it was something they did somewhere along the line.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back