Rogue One Vader costume

IF you guys could change Vader's suit for a more contemporary look, what would you change? Growing up I always thought he was awesome, but then as an adult I always wondered about some design choices. Like having the switches, and voicebox right out there in the open. This has probably been talked about before, but Im not going to sift through a ton of pages to look for it.

But then again who knows. Maybe its designed in such a way because Vader knows that nobody would get close enough, or be able to hit him to mess with his suit. Just a thought.

Sorry if this was already mentioned and I may be off but did anyone else notice the very matte finish to the underside (neck area)
of the mask during R1 as opposed to what I have previously seen as a semi gloss?

It almost looked like matte black car-warp vinyl which would be fine and durable but just something that stood out to me

What I like on the R1 Vaderhelmet is that they built the cutlines for the revealsection.That was a big mistake on all Vaderhelmets before.
But the sprayed grey is not ANH...the ANH-Vader must have a brushed gunmetal.

I've been thinking more about this. Fundamentally i don't think there is really anything wrong with the costume. I think if you took the R1 costume with you in a time machine and went back and dressed 1977 David Prowse in it it would be Darth Vader.

I think one of the biggest issues is how the character was filmed, mostly in the first Vader scene in R1. Lighting makes a huge difference. I've learned as someone who costumes as Vader and takes photos that the overhead light is very important.

The eyes should be in the shadow of the dome. The chin should be in the shadow of the mask. The area between the mask and the dome should be in shadow. I know in movies, even the original trilogy, they used lights coming from the camera side. But the overhead light needs to be the brightest to create shadows in the helmet.

I think one of the reasons the neck looked so obvious and gunmetal is because it was so lit-up instead of being in a shadow.

I just wanna chuck my two cents in and agree with this, evidence being all the stills from Battlefront. I'm not sure how you all feel about the photogrammetry done on the vader stuff and how it compares, but I feel like the way the helmets lit, especially under the dome makes it appear "off". I don't have the image on hand, but the reflections on vader's right side of the mask under the dome, and it being lit too bright, makes me feel like it's wrong.

I agree with everyone who said the suit just didn't fit right. Considering the importance of Vader in the Star Wars franchise, I wish they would have done better. I like the look of my EFX ANH Vader helmet better than the RO version, but it might have just been the lighting.

I think an important question which will probably never be answered is, was the Gunmetal on the ANH intentionally brushed on for a specific look, or for quickness or other filming necessity? If it was the latter, I can live with the RO changes as I really don't think modern audiences would get the ANH look most of us love. Especially with everything shot in Super Shiny HD.
Also, like others have mentioned, the original mask changed drastically from ANH-ROTJ, so as far as the RO mask goes, I think it's not too bad of a job. I also think the filmmakers thought by going as far as adding details such as the C-scar, they were going the whole Mile in terms of accuracy and pleasing fans to replicate the ANH mask.

Just my thoughts though :)

I think an important question which will probably never be answered is, was the Gunmetal on the ANH intentionally brushed on for a specific look, or for quickness or other filming necessity? If it was the latter, I can live with the RO changes as I really don't think modern audiences would get the ANH look most of us love. Especially with everything shot in Super Shiny HD.
Also, like others have mentioned, the original mask changed drastically from ANH-ROTJ, so as far as the RO mask goes, I think it's not too bad of a job. I also think the filmmakers thought by going as far as adding details such as the C-scar, they were going the whole Mile in terms of accuracy and pleasing fans to replicate the ANH mask.

Just my thoughts though :)
I suspect the brushed gunmetal was for quickness and they didn't think anyone would notice. As far as I understand the alternating black/gunmetal is to help the appearance on film. It isn't necessarily meant to indicate how the in universe helmet is actually colored.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

As far as I understand the alternating black/gunmetal is to help the appearance on film. It isn't necessarily meant to indicate how the in universe helmet is actually colored.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
I should have been more clear, my fault. I was more referring to the Brushed on effect, as opposed to the later sprayed on effect. I understand that the two tones were for lighting/filming effect, but what reason would they have to brush it on? The RO was never going to be brushed on in my opinion, but what was their reason for this in '76?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back