Rogue One Vader costume

Image from deleted scene:

15591203_10154264857307615_7264518684103072845_o.jpg

IMG_1153.JPG If they went to the effort of the C-scar, they should have done a little more with the rest??

The problem definitely lies with the Shoulders/Chest area

Last edited:
I'm just thankful we didn't end up with the ROTS design. I do still wonder how a more "ANH accurate" Vader helmet and costume would actually look when shot in a contemporary film. It's possible they tried such a look and it didn't film well for whatever reason.

I'm just thankful we didn't end up with the ROTS design. I do still wonder how a more "ANH accurate" Vader helmet and costume would actually look when shot in a contemporary film. It's possible they tried such a look and it didn't film well for whatever reason.
Yeah, I think I'm with you on this one. I think with modern film making technology and HD filming anything that resembled the 1970s stuff wouldn't be right for the masses, no matter how much most of us would have wanted it. What we consider accurate, Mr casual cinema goer would be asking how it got past quality control lol. I'm just greatful they tried to get it as close as possible, and it's not too bad of a job.

Was it that bad in the actual film footage? I guess I'm going to have to go see the movie a third time sometime soon, paying extra careful attention to the codpiece. :lol

I must say, I didn't notice it at all either time I watched, even with the knowledge ahead of time that people were upset about how big or thick it was. Funny how different people notice different things :)

Also people must remember Prowse was not the only person in the costume in the original trilogy, Bob Anderson did the sword fights as Vader in Empire and Jedi and also there was another stand in for Vader when he walked down the ramp on Endor according to the Return of the Jedi making of book.
THIS.
I saw a making of featurette on Halloween and Debra Hill was gonna double for Michael Myers for some distant shots and they just scrapped it because her posture and walk was totally different to Nick Castle's. It's very apparent in Halloween 2 that it's a different actor playing the character. Also you can bring ROTS but Hayden didn't do much more than being strapped to a table and standing. Even ANH Vader walks very different to ESB and ROTJ Vader. The only scene in ANH where I see the Vader from the other two is when he goes down to the hangar to check the Falcon.

I don't pick up on Stormtrooper stuf, but the Vader suit didn't look atrocious to me. I recognized it as ANH-style, I mean there's differences between scenes in the same movie, there are 3 visibly different helmets in ESB, then there's the chest armor and the shoulder bells changing position between scenes and he just simply goes matt from shiny in ROTJ.

Also people must remember Prowse was not the only person in the costume in the original trilogy, Bob Anderson did the sword fights as Vader in Empire and Jedi and also there was another stand in for Vader when he walked down the ramp on Endor according to the Return of the Jedi making of book.
I wonder if Anderson wore the same suit. If he did, it might have been padded, but that might interfere with moving well for the saber fights.

Since the motion during a saber fight is so different than walking around, the different actor is probably less likely to be noticeable. There was obviously a difference between Prowse doing the ANH saber fight and the Anderson saber fights.

I suspect Anderson was only used for shots with actual dueling. The shots of Vader when he is taunting Luke during the saber fights are most likely Prowse. The motion during the dueling and the longer distance shots would help hide any differences in the suit and actor.

At times Anderson used a different helmet with clear pieces on the face plate so he could see better during the dueling. Most people don't even notice the clear pieces because of the motion and distance.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wonder if Anderson wore the same suit. If he did, it might have been padded, but that might interfere with moving well for the saber fights.

Since the motion during a saber fight is so different than walking around, the different actor is probably less likely to be noticeable. There was obviously a difference between Prowse doing the ANH saber fight and the Anderson saber fights.

I suspect Anderson was only used for shots with actual dueling. The shots of Vader when he is taunting Luke during the saber fights are most likely Prowse. The motion during the dueling and the longer distance shots would help hide any differences in the suit and actor.

At times Anderson used a different helmet with clear pieces on the face plate so he could see better during the dueling. Most people don't even notice the clear pieces because of the motion and distance.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

The helmet your talking about was used in several close ups in Jedi actually, and Anderson was used almost as much as Prowse in Jedi due to the strained relationship between Prowse and Lucas Film.

I belong to an autograph forum and we have been trying to figure out which part of the movie Spencer played Vader. Although Spencer Wilding as been confirmed as the new Darth Vader, there was another actor for the re-shoots. Spencer did the promo photos and one of the main scenes but a lot of the Darth Vader scenes(most of them) were Daniel Naprous

12063072_966300173441407_1251132923_n.jpg

This is Bob Anderson on the set of Empire. Note the lifts on the boots, shorter inner cape, and he is swimming in the armor. On film most don't even notice. The R1 vader isnt horrible, the actor lacked the chest. Its not as good as ANH for sure, but for me, its the fit and lack of chest that affects the neck. Others are correct in terms of the way he was shot in R1 also. Lighting and angles made the suit look worse, not better. In empire, they shot from below to increase the height etc.

I belong to an autograph forum and we have been trying to figure out which part of the movie Spencer played Vader. Although Spencer Wilding as been confirmed as the new Darth Vader, there was another actor for the re-shoots. Spencer did the promo photos and one of the main scenes but a lot of the Darth Vader scenes(most of them) were Daniel Naprous

Well he's only in three scenes in the finished film so I would guess Daniel Naprous is Vader in the scene at the end. Costume seemed to fit him better.....Or it was a different costume, hard to tell with all the movement and low lighting in the film.

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Who-Plays-Darth-Vader-Rogue-One-42858375
If that is right I guess I'm wrong and it was Spencer in the end sequence, makes sense I guess suit looked to fit better in that last sequence.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back