Luke ESB light saber

Are you guys sure that the heads on the clip of the Wampa cave picture are rivets? The really look more like flat head hex (machine) screws to me. Isn't that a hex hole? And that would explain better the flat head.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415478742.499055.jpg

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Yeah, they are actually wood screws , but they are probably way to big. I'll see if I can find those, but small. Rivets make more sense for a blind connection from a prop building point of view. So I 'm very curious about the german flat head rivets!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Found them. They're called joint connector bolts (also joint connector nuts which are the female version). Unfortunately the only size they seem to exist in is M6 (6mm thread) which has a head diameter of around 10mm.These are the things you get with some Ikea furniture like the Detolf cases.

ae235

ae235

I'VE FOUND SOME!
4.0mm rivets with 8.0mm flat head:

IMG_5590.JPG
(sorry for the lousy picture!)

I just popped them on a belt clip, since my Kobolds aren't ready yet.
They WILL be ready very soon though, probably somewhere next week.

Roy

The ones I bought ended up being normal rivets so I filed the flat face into mine. Could do with an upgrade though!

I'VE FOUND SOME!

Roy

I'VE FOUND SOME!

View attachment 410833

Roy

I'm in for a set! I was going to grab a Kobold clip off of you anyways to steal the D-ring off of it... this just gives me added incentive :)

I have an odd question. If the Phillips heads were shiny enough to be mistaken as rivets, were slightly bigger screws used on set? I have a feeling these tiny ones were put on during a re-attachment towards the end of filming or when the"repaired" this saber. I'd never mistake these tiny ones for rivets from far away.

I'll post this here as well... So not trying to cause anymore grief between Roy and Gino, but Roy has his ESB t-track length at 3 5/9 while Gino has his ESB t-track length at 3 9/16... meaning that there's a 2 mm difference between the two. I just measured and Ray's length would essentially would run the tracks from the clamp to the base and would pretty much be flush with both. Gino's quoted length would leave a small gap. Which is accurate???

According to thepartsofsw.com ... you only need and I quote 'six 3 5/8" long black handgrips' for Luke's ESB ... which leaves you with about 1 mm gap between clamp and T-track, enough to still be able to open and remove the clamp for adding batteries, not included . . . that said Gino as well as Roy gives you a little extra so you can cut it yourself accordingly ;)

Chaim

you're fine at gino's...we're talking millimeters here... they are likely all a bit uneven anyway, and I've yet to see a ruler lying RIGHT next to the real track.

Crap... I might be in trouble... I already cut three of them to Gino's specs...

Not necessarily ... if you cut the other three correctly and then add them on your G R A F L E X like GINO - POSW - GINO - POSW - GINO - POSW you'll hardly notice the 1mm difference . . . if you align them straight from the bottom ;) ... besides the original Luke ESB was probably less accurately cut and evenly spaced when it comes to the T-track :)

Chaim

I'll post this here as well... So not trying to cause anymore grief between Roy and Gino, but Roy has his ESB t-track length at [3 5/8] while Gino has his ESB t-track length at 3 9/16... meaning that there's a 2 mm difference between the two. I just measured and Ray's length would essentially would run the tracks from the clamp to the base and would pretty much be flush with both. Gino's quoted length would leave a small gap. Which is accurate???
Years ago, Darth Saber had posted two blueprints for two variations of the ESB sabers: One with smooth tape in which the tracks are 93 mm, and one with textured tape where the tracks are 91 mm long. In Roy's blueprint they are 92 mm.

In all those "blueprints", the measurements and placements are idealised. The individual tracks on the real props were not cut at exactly the same length. They were not perfectly placed either: some tracks leave a little gap to the end while others leave a little gap to the clamp. The spacing between tracks or alignment to other features on the lightsaber is not perfect either.

I would recommend to not follow the "blueprints" exactly but cut them a little longer first and test how they look against reference pictures. Then cut them shorter to a length/s that corresponds to your own interpretation of the prop.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back