Blade Runner 2049 Dr. Ana Stelline's Hologram Controller

Thanks for that link. I made a quick draft model. The mechanics will be fun to recreate. Looks like they used 3-5 DC motors and a few switches. Making this 3D printable will take a moment.... Orb3.JPGOrb2.JPGOrb4.JPGOrb1.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. Enjoyable Sunday afternoon with that fantastic reference material and Fusion 360. There was a genius at work. Does anyone know the name of the creator? He should be acknowledged. Also hats off to the production company that commissioned this, shows real commitment. This needs a lot tuning and the inside mechanics are the challenge here and will take more time. I guess they used a DC motor driver board to be able to program combined movements. If anyone has a suggestion for this it would be helpful. Unless they went custom with that too.

I suppose there are 5 motors, 6 switches, 1 for each motor and one 4 position switch for direction and speed that I can make out. Problem finding a motor controller with 5 motor outputs and that many inputs. Arduino is your friend. I guess I will go with some adafruit feathers. But all that will cost quite a few $.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the name of the creator? He should be acknowledged.
Well, if you poke around on the website is does state that Moxie Tool is "founded and run by Kyle Martin." I have to imagine that he has a crew that works for him, since the term "we" is regularly used throughout the the site, so it would have been a group effort. But as far as the engineering of the prop goes, I'm guessing that was Mr. Martin.

Thanks, he is also credited in the video. Brilliant construction. However, to get this 3D printed I will have to come up with a new substructure that supports cheap of the shelve parts. Custom mini gear boxes are beyond my skills and tools I am afraid.

Well, if you poke around on the website is does state that Moxie Tool is "founded and run by Kyle Martin." I have to imagine that he has a crew that works for him, since the term "we" is regularly used throughout the the site, so it would have been a group effort. But as far as the engineering of the prop goes, I'm guessing that was Mr. Martin.
Here's an interview with Mr. Martin where he talks about his work on BR2049 and other films he has worked on (originally posted in the general BR2049 props & replicas thread last week).
http://transatlanticpanorama.com/american-robotics-european-film-sets/
He's an alumni of Stan Winston Studios. He set up on his own as Moxie Tool in 2013 after making the creature for Attack The Block at Spectral Motion. He has a Moxie Tool ebay store selling the hot shoe spirit level and the 15mm bicycle 'Peanut Butter' wrench too.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0552645/?ref_=fn_nm_nm_18

Thanks. In that piece Mike Hill is named as the designer of the Memory Orb.
Yes, he was the concept artist for a lot of the props and sets on the film. A link to his Artstation page featuring his concept renders from the production was posted on page 3 of the thread:
https://www.artstation.com/mikehill
It was Kyle Martin who had to take those concept renders and animations of the Orb and turn it into a physical, functional piece though, which is a wonderful piece of engineering design

Last edited:
Fun to learn more about these talents. Kyle Martin is working in metal and seems to have all the great multi dimensional CNC machines you can wish for at his disposal. Also look at all the different anodizations applied and the labels that made people, including myself, think this was put together from lens parts. This will be a challenge to reproduce on a 3D printed version as well.

If anyone can share experiences with emulating anodized Al, chrome, brushed metal etc, I would be grateful.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back