Thick traces on PCBs

And here’s the dented emitter/chipped nipple and black mini nipple on the throne room chair.
cc1fb33fee20f139a642ff862f61bb53.jpg

I’m not definitely saying there are two V2s. If someone has a good way to explain these differences I’m very happy to hear and understand.

But there are details here that don’t make sense and the timeline of when shots were done doesn’t really explain it either.

And as Seth and everyone always says - the minute details of the lightsaber prop was the last thing on these guys minds. So I’m just struggling a little to explain what I perceive as different details without considering the possibility they are two separate items.

@ms80444

Your "mini-nipple" is the guide rod that the emitter is clung on to. The nipple isn't chipped, but the guide rod is. And it's dark as far as we know, but it's still metal so it's still gonna have a slight sheen.

The stuntman playing Luke looks to be actually holding the V2 to me because, I think, I can make out the warping around the emitter face. A reason why it looks like it's missing the guide rod in the screencap you posted makes me think it's all to do with lighting, angle, and distance away from the camera. Sparks are going off around him, in a fairly dark set, and the camera is a distance away with a long lens to get that medium close reaction.

The picture on the bottom with the Emperor's chair is no doubt the V2. There should be no questioning that. The paint matches, scratches, cone knob, mystery chunk, it's all there; that's the V2. It's there because they had it there to shoot with.

Screencaps of the V2 from the film, I don't think should be the thing to go by anymore. Not when we have photos of the real thing in normal lighting conditions.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
This emitter is still in good shape, The main nipple is not chipped as we’ve seen in other photos and it’s missing the black mini nipple. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/454d3eb16eb1103b9f9862425f33bb29.jpg

I'm not sure how you can confidently say any of those things based on the quality of this image. I mean I can see how you could infer those things from that one image, but there are many other images (such as the more recent one you posted) that show the emitter more clearly. I don't think the prop is changing (much... we know it does change; parts of it rotate, presumably it loses more and more paint, etc), I think poor images are easily misinterpreted. Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them. ;)

I'm not sure how you can confidently say any of those things based on the quality of this image. I mean I can see how you could infer those things from that one image, but there are many other images (such as the more recent one you posted) that show the emitter more clearly. I don't think the prop is changing (much... we know it does change; parts of it rotate, presumably it loses more and more paint, etc), I think poor images are easily misinterpreted. Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them. ;)

I’m not confidently saying much of anything other than what I personally think I see from looking at a high resolution image on my iPad.

The black guide rod is so obvious everywhere else I see it. I don’t see it as obvious in the black and white throne pic.

When something doesn’t make sense to me, I poke at it and ask questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ms80444

Your "mini-nipple" is the guide rod that the emitter is clung on to. The nipple isn't chipped, but the guide rod is. And it's dark as far as we know, but it's still metal so it's still gonna have a slight sheen.

The stuntman playing Luke looks to be actually holding the V2 to me because, I think, I can make out the warping around the emitter face. A reason why it looks like it's missing the guide rod in the screencap you posted makes me think it's all to do with lighting, angle, and distance away from the camera. Sparks are going off around him, in a fairly dark set, and the camera is a distance away with a long lens to get that medium close reaction.

The picture on the bottom with the Emperor's chair is no doubt the V2. There should be no questioning that. The paint matches, scratches, cone knob, mystery chunk, it's all there; that's the V2. It's there because they had it there to shoot with.

Screencaps of the V2 from the film, I don't think should be the thing to go by anymore. Not when we have photos of the real thing in normal lighting conditions.

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=634748&d=1465848454https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=698978&d=1484677372

Thanks for that V2 pic! That’s awesome!

You guys are almost certainly right. Like I said, it’s just how I am. I see details and things that don’t make sense to me and I start poking things with a stick. It’s just how I learn. [emoji3]

I have another random question for you guys - is the V2 clamp card (the one we see in Brandon’s prop) is that ever actually seen on screen or even in any BTS stuff?

Okay, now that we've settled this...

I can finish this damn book and we can start harassing Brad/Slothfurnace about new cards :)

been trying to find the thread with tom looking for my screen shots of the v3, now that i found it give me a few minutes

ok so here we go

V2 in lukes hand
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7158.jpg

luke ignites v2
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7159.jpg

luke swings with v3, solid brown neck
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7172.jpg

you can see the booster pretty good here
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-12818.jpg

this is where it gets good
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-12824.jpg

odlpXgv.jpg

emitter all wonky, and similar paint chips like the v2
kA1Omxj.jpg

the brown really stands out on the v3
TzYcfAs.jpg

61LIB7B.jpg

cN1ITMM.jpg

the above pic i find rather odd, i would think you could see the groove in the wind vane neck... but you dont?

and is it me or is there something going on with the control box in this scene..
aEK8YI9.jpg

i still find it amazing they removed the blade on the v3 and luke threw it, instead of a resin stunt..
km2NfDa.jpg

0fl78cD.jpg

nG1E7zf.jpg

Tom and seth, what are we talking about when u say the step?

The groove that shows how the emitter and neck are 2 different pieces?

Above the neck groove, the very first step at the base of the emitter. On the V3 it’s way bigger than the Yuma. (I’m thinking of shutting up a particular person in the Graflex FB group who insists the V3 isn’t used onscreen).

Above the neck groove, the very first step at the base of the emitter. On the V3 it’s way bigger than the Yuma. (I’m thinking of shutting up a particular person in the Graflex FB group who insists the V3 isn’t used onscreen).

If it’s the same person, I already showed him a very similar screenshot to the one halliwax just posted. That didn’t seem to do the trick either, so you may want to save your sanity. [emoji3]

This thread derailed completely off to ROTJ sabers, but initially started about the traces of the ESB Graflex clamp cards. So nobody here has a clue about why thicker 'thin' traces became so popular? It sure makes me wonder! Was it really just an overly creative replica maker?

This thread derailed completely off to ROTJ sabers, but initially started about the traces of the ESB Graflex clamp cards. So nobody here has a clue about why thicker 'thin' traces became so popular? It sure makes me wonder! Was it really just an overly creative replica maker?

I quite literally had the same thought earlier today and then I wasn’t sure if bringing that up would continue to derail it farther. Sorry about that Seth.

The only thing I can think of is that I’ve seen a few pictures where I thought the gold bars extended farther to the opposite edge which sort of looks like an attribute of the thicker trace cards - though now I can see it’s just an illusion or the clamp was maybe a little tighter making it appear that way. Maybe early on when there were less detailed photos available someone else had the same illusion trick them? Obviously just a guess.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back