Stargate: Atlantis Tablet PC - Motion Computing M1400

ncc74656m

I've been watching way too much scifi for my own good (as well as that of my budget). One way to ease the itch this creates though is to research props and contemplate their use. Well, I stumbled on a Motion Computing M1400 on eBay for $30 shipped. I jumped on it.

atl_208_162.JPG

This is the device that was used on Stargate: Atlantis by most of the science staff, including McKay and Weir. McKay almost never went anywhere without this guy strapped to his back, and Weir always had it on her desk. Included with mine were the tablet sans battery, HDD, and power supply, but it included the same keyboard/stand/hard cover combo that Weir always had.

My ambitions include getting the base cover (without the keyboard) and the bump case. I had a hard drive and extra RAM for it, and a battery/power supply go without saying.

(tl;dr) Anyway, my ultimate plan for this, once I get the physical parts, is to obtain the files used for on screen displays of data and graphics, and to custom build some of the attachments. I'd like to build the "crystal tray" adapter and the medical scanner (as used by Dr. Keller in "Tracker"), and any others if I find them. First, does anyone know where I can get the files aside from eBay? Are there any legitimate sources? And second, has anyone ever built these attachments?

Crystal Adapter:
Ancient_Interface_Adapter.jpg

This will eventually become part of a larger Atlantis costume, including an Atlantis duty uniform and combat uniform.

Yeah, I found one too and have all the files stored on it as shortcuts that I can launch :)

Sadly though, the carry cases for the M1400 are damn near impossible to find or are expensive. Any luck with those?

Yeah, I found one too and have all the files stored on it as shortcuts that I can launch :)

Sadly though, the carry cases for the M1400 are damn near impossible to find or are expensive. Any luck with those?

None yet. Regardless, it's not something I need. If I find any, I'll notify you.

...I just realized I have the same model tablet sitting in my closet. I guess it's time to make an adapter to go with it!

*edit* I can work up some sort of 3D file to make the crystal adapter. Maybe a 2 piece, one for a laser etch for the crystal part, and one for the plastic parts. I'll let you know what I can come up with.

If you happen to find the digital files for it, can you let me know? I sort of want to get mine fully done for it too, if for nothing else than to display! Might someday to a SG:A costume :)

Here is what I have so far for you. I'm thinking 3D printed main body, molded and cast, and the crystal section would be laser etched acrylic.

What do you think so far?

*Edit* I just realized each side is different. I'll have to fix that based on screenshots of this piece.

Alright, based on the images I have found of the screen used pieces, this is what I have come up with. My model so far with the reference pictures.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I love this!!! That dongle would be very cool to have in a drawer with real computer adapters. Very cool, let me know when you start selling them!!!

I feel really bad for hijacking this thread :( I have the shape of the crystal portion done, but trying to figure out how I can do the engraving. If you want me to keep posting stuff here (to the OP) I will, otherwise I can just keep working on this quietly during breaks from my other props :p

I feel really bad for hijacking this thread :( I have the shape of the crystal portion done, but trying to figure out how I can do the engraving. If you want me to keep posting stuff here (to the OP) I will, otherwise I can just keep working on this quietly during breaks from my other props :p

With pleasure!!! You're helping me and other fans like me. This is great! :)

A laser cutter could engrave and cut that in one shot. I'm not sure if anyone here on theRPF has one, but maybe check out hackerspaces.org and see if a hacker/maker space has one and would make some for you.

I have a friend with one, I will probably have him make a bunch and cast the other pieces myself and paint/assemble. I have to adjust the crystal section to be the right thickness of what you can actually get. Making it be a perfect fit will be interesting... especially since I am still fairly new to 3D modeling.

I have a friend with one, I will probably have him make a bunch and cast the other pieces myself and paint/assemble. I have to adjust the crystal section to be the right thickness of what you can actually get. Making it be a perfect fit will be interesting... especially since I am still fairly new to 3D modeling.

My guess here is that it's a stock size, since we all know that prop work is largely comprised of off the shelf stuff wherever possible. 1/4"?

Specs. 3/16 inch clear plexiglass, laser etched. The crystal plug case is 3.1in x 1.6in

Total prop is 2.25in × 11.25in (including wires).

I'll send the master of the plug case for 3D printing, and will get a test piece of acrylic engraved. If we know anyone who has a 3D printer who can do it cheaper/faster than shapeways, I would prefer that. I will make a mold from it and cast everything in resin, with etched acrylic made for each one.

Let me know what you think!

And I think this finishes it. My friend is checking in with his friend to get the main part printed for me to mold, and then he will do the laser etching. Once I find out the costs for all the materials and time, I will let you know how much I will charge. Probably put in a interest thread on the junkyard when I have the prototype finished.

Hope you like it!

...I sort of want to make more Stargate stuff now.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back