Fallout 4

Looks to me like there is a shockwave raising dust going out from the explosion, but most of the destruction is actually moving vertically.

edit for typos.

It's the shockwave that usually does the most destruction.

But I'm sure you get my point. Would have been better to not blow it up, and maybe keep it and use it. I'm sure the added radiation and fallout would not have been appreciated either.

Keep in mind, New Vegas was waaaaay guilty of this too.

You literally detonate nukes (dozens, in fact) in The Lonesome Road DLC. Yet you can get near them with little to no problem, let alone not be blown away by the explosions. The story itself tells of the pure destructive power of the nukes, all while you're detonating them.

I'm all for the suspension of disbelief here, but some things cross the line from silliness to outright bull crap.

And again, I wish those that could buy all that, could buy the original ending to FO3. I personally thought it was, from my playing perspective as the good guy who sacrifices himself, pretty deep. To me it was rather poetic that I died exactly where my father did, for the exact goal/dream that he and my mother set out to do in the first place. The dream that my birth clearly got in the way of. Clean water.

I realize that not everybody played it the way I did, but then again, complainers should also realize that not everybody played the way they did. That's sort of the beauty of these games.

I am reminded of the bit in the first Avengers when Steve is berating Tony, saying "You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you" and Tony comes back with "I think I would just cut the wire". Sacrificing oneself is indeed a noble end... But when there's no need it's just wasteful. Awesome to have the dream and want to fulfill your parents' goal -- but you've got a super mutant who can go hit the on button who doesn't get fussed over the radiation. You're not asking someone else to sacrifice themselves for you and your goal -- they won't be harmed. That's just smart. Or rather, not moronic.

I'd like it where, if you sacrifice yourself, that's it. You're dead. No further gameplay. Since there are ways to get to the ending where someone else can go in and you're not (in the real world) an ass for choosing that (regardless of how the game paints you), the additional material is not just a reward for being evil. Or, at least, shouldn't be.

In my writing and my gameplay, I tend to be a community-builder. I wish I could play with ever-expanding parties of the NPCs I recruit, instead of having to pick just one to travel with me. Barring irreconcilable personality conflicts, of course. It'd be nice to see the byplay between characters. I'd be especially interested to see how things went with my F4 "harem" of Piper, Cait, and Curie. I've maxed out my relationships with all of them, and wish I could have all their companion perks active at once. But that's why I feel especially thwarted by the inability to resolve things in F4 as I describe above -- especially as the files for Danse ousting Maxson are in the game, just never enabled. The whole progression of the game series has been the rebuilding of civilzation from the ruins of the old world, and I want ot feel like I'm a bit more a part of making that happen. The settlement-building in F4 is a good start, and the ending and Nuka-World feel like they're veering away from where the game up to that point was pointing...

I am reminded of the bit in the first Avengers when Steve is berating Tony, saying "You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you" and Tony comes back with "I think I would just cut the wire". Sacrificing oneself is indeed a noble end... But when there's no need it's just wasteful. Awesome to have the dream and want to fulfill your parents' goal -- but you've got a super mutant who can go hit the on button who doesn't get fussed over the radiation. You're not asking someone else to sacrifice themselves for you and your goal -- they won't be harmed. That's just smart. Or rather, not moronic.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. The logic behind the ending is faulty.

But it seems as though they never intended for there to be DLC, or at least maybe they didn't assume the game would be popular enough to make DLC. Otherwise why would they kill off (or possibly kill off) your character to begin with? I think they viewed this game as not a shoe-in like Oblivion, and may not have actually planned for DLC from the beginning the way game companies do now. And clearly for them to add said DLC, they would then need to "resurrect" your character. The game turns out to be a hit, they decide they wanna do some DLC, so they have to come up with a story to make it all work.

I think originally, the ending served as a mechanic to do exactly that, end the game. Nothing more. Sure, it could have been done better, but maybe they figured 'what difference does it make if the game is over?'. What does it matter if you die, since you're not going to be playing anymore?

I mean, what would it really mean to anybody if the Courier dies at the very end? The game's over, you can't play anymore. It's not open ended, and said death would only be part of story lore. And how fulfilling is the original Vault Dweller's fate, being cast out from his/her home into the wasteland (keeping in mind you don't yet know the rest of their fate as outlined in the beginning of FO2).

But yes, logically speaking, Fawkes should have taken his big ass in there, activated the purifier, and me and Sarah watch and drink a Nuka Cola as we celebrate victory. What's odd is that they still didn't go that route with the DLC. You still activate the purifier yourself (or Sarah does), and instead of dying, you survive an incredible amount of radiation and wake up good to go two weeks later.

I started a new game not too long ago where I bypassed ever meeting up with Preston and the idiots. You can jump across from the church to the powered armor and keep the game going from there. You can still get all of the settlements in the game, you just don't have to deal with Preston's stupid missions. Haven't gone far so I don't know how this affects the rest of the storyline, but honestly, I've played through 3-4 times, I don't really care about the story anymore.

I started a new game not too long ago where I bypassed ever meeting up with Preston and the idiots. You can jump across from the church to the powered armor and keep the game going from there. You can still get all of the settlements in the game, you just don't have to deal with Preston's stupid missions. Haven't gone far so I don't know how this affects the rest of the storyline, but honestly, I've played through 3-4 times, I don't really care about the story anymore.

I did this exact thing extensively. I never even went into the museum, I jumped over from the chapel next door to get the power armor and rolled out. To the best I can tell, the only real effect that is any different that I've found, is through dialogue Piper will mention the Minutemen, and you will then get a side objective 'Find the last Minutman'. Best I can tell, that's it.

You detonate what amounts to a nuclear bomb when you (if you) destroy the Institute. Now as many folks have pointed out, this would be stupid simply because it would waste a perfect area to live or start a settlement, complete with clean and fresh medical facilities, clean water, food, ect. But most people don't realize the overwhelming HARM you would bring to Boston by NUKING IT. The blast wave was well big enough to level Diamond City, as well as the rest of the surrounding area. Remember, CIT is only just across the river from Diamond City, well within the blast radius. Most of those settlements you created, they'd be wiped out. Unless all your settlements were Vault Tec vaults (and the Vault DLC didn't exists originally) they would not be able to withstand a nuclear explosion.

This has ALWAYS driven me crazy. How does something like this slip through the cracks when writing this stuff? Did a child write it? I mean, C'MON. Use a little common sense here Bethesda. Bombs were what got us here! You'd be starting the apocalypse all over again.

That might my biggest complaint in the entire game. From the first time you see them you can tell the writer must be confusing the BoS with the Enclave. The BoS is supposed to be keeping humanity from making the same mistakes, then they do the same thing here. The Institute is the prefect place for a BoS forward outpost. I guess you could say that in the BoS' zeal to destroy the Institute that that didn't cross their mind. Also their goal is to help humanity, yet they set off another nuke (well numerous counting Liberty Prime, but those probably decay fast) that decimates a bunch more innocent people. On top of that the BoS scientist thinks it's neat because she can study a fresh nuke explosion's effect.

Then a minor complaint is the T-60 power armor. I got a mod that "fixes" the game and puts T-51 equipped soldiers outside Vault 111 at the beginning, then the loading screen for the T-60 says they reverse engineered it from the Enclave armor from Fallout 3.

Then a minor complaint is the T-60 power armor. I got a mod that "fixes" the game and puts T-51 equipped soldiers outside Vault 111 at the beginning, then the loading screen for the T-60 says they reverse engineered it from the Enclave armor from Fallout 3.

Yeah, I wonder how they'll be tackling Power Armor in the new game...…...

Hopefully you'll need to be taught how to use it again. I can accept the PC in F4 being able to out of the gate -- he was a soldier*. His wife, OTOH, was a lawyer, so if you're playing as her there's no excuse (though it would have been so simple to script an out), But a random scavenger or Vault-dweller should have to learn how to use it.

[*Which is another thing -- you're playing a soldier of the same generation as Maxson the Founder. You were freakin' there, man! The BoS should worship you. You even have dialogue options with other NPCs, like the robot guarding the U.S.S. Constitution, that address your military background... But not with the BoS. Huge dropped ball, there.]

I did this exact thing extensively. I never even went into the museum, I jumped over from the chapel next door to get the power armor and rolled out. To the best I can tell, the only real effect that is any different that I've found, is through dialogue Piper will mention the Minutemen, and you will then get a side objective 'Find the last Minutman'. Best I can tell, that's it.

My question would be on missions like retaking the Castle. Without Preston to initiate it, does it still happen?

Yeah, I wonder how they'll be tackling Power Armor in the new game...…...

Well we'll probably get the T-70 armor now, that somehow, no one in previous games ever knew about...

[*Which is another thing -- you're playing a soldier of the same generation as Maxson the Founder. You were freakin' there, man! The BoS should worship you. You even have dialogue options with other NPCs, like the robot guarding the U.S.S. Constitution, that address your military background... But not with the BoS. Huge dropped ball, there.]

I forgot about that one. That is another thing I didn't like. You get a chance to tell Paladin Danse that you served in the military, but he doesn't say "Wait, what military?" He knows you're from a vault, well if you tell him, so that should be a big alarm in his head. I know some things get forgotten because they already have so much dialogue, but that seemed like it would be VERY important to someone bringing you into the BoS.

No. Liberty Prime turns out to have been a prototype for a giant mecha suit, like a Gundam, that the BoS found and rigged an AI into. Now we're going to see a squad of the final product fighting Deathclaw Behemoths amid the West Virginia strip mines.

My question would be on missions like retaking the Castle. Without Preston to initiate it, does it still happen?

You can't make the castle what it truly is without the Minutemen, no. Nor can you get the plans for artillery without the Minutemen.

You can clear out the Mireluirks and build there, though. But you can't get through the locked door that leads to the artillery schematics.

I honestly don't think I ever used artillery support in any game I played. I don't think I ever called in other Minutemen either.

You're not missing anything. Artillery is, for the most part, useless. Either you're out of range when you throw the smoke grenade, or the smoke grenade alerts all the enemies and they start chasing you. In doing so, they almost always leave the exact area you threw the smoke grenade. And the effect isn't instant, there is a slight delay.

In theory, it was a good idea and a neat little feature, but in practice it fell short.

You're not missing anything. Artillery is, for the most part, useless. Either you're out of range when you throw the smoke grenade, or the smoke grenade alerts all the enemies and they start chasing you. In doing so, they almost always leave the exact area you threw the smoke grenade. And the effect isn't instant, there is a slight delay.

In theory, it was a good idea and a neat little feature, but in practice it fell short.

I'm sure I'm not missing a thing, I don't tend to even have companions except when I'm going for favor. I don't need extra help. I was just playing Far Cry 5 this morning and accidentally hired a helper. I'm just waiting until she gets herself killed because she's annoying.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back