BR2049: K's Gun with Screen Function IT WORKS!!! APR 20th

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, starting this thread is a little late to the party, but I find as time goes on that I spend more and more time studying details and ideas before getting stuck into projects. This makes things take longer of course, but the end result is usually all the better for it.

I've been tinkering away on and off on a 3d model for the baster since late last year, with the aim of making it with screen accurate functionality as in the Adam Savage Tested video where he visits with Doug Harlocker. I wanted the slide/hammer in my replica to move when the trigger is pressed. The model itself isn't too difficult even if there are several details you can miss if you don't really look at it, but the functionality had me scratching my head for a bit.

First I had to see if my printer could even replicate the tiny details of the barrel sides. (The originals were printed on pretty high-end machines after all.) So I did a quick test:

Note: The grille "mesh holes" in the above test aren't completely accurate. They are close, but I need to go back and add some things later. Also, the grille sections will be printed separately in the final version, just like they were in the real one. I did the test with a couple different nozzle sizes and they were similar enough that I can use the larger one, making them print faster.

Here is the current work-in-progress status of the 3d model (updated March 26, click to enlarge):

K_wip5.jpg

Kbp1.JPG

Since I'm generally a total novice when it comes to electronics, I first thought I'd make the functionality mechanical. One criteria would be that it had to be fairly easy to assemble since I was planning to offer it as a kit. But as time went on, I started realizing that making it mechanical would make it harder to build and put a lot of demands on the durability and tolerances of the parts. It also wouldn't be exactly how they did it in the movie. So I did a 180 and started looking into using an electromagnet (solenoid).

The plan was to use a capacitor to store a temp charge, like I was planning for my Glie 44 blaster from Star Wars (to make leds inside flash and fade), but as I would learn, solenoids are a bit more demanding in their power requirements. Again, I had to keep it SIMPLE so that anyone with the most basic knowledge of soldering could put it together. Finding a suitable magnet hasn't been easy- most of them need too much power or too have small movement. After a week of reading up and asking for help on various forums, I even ended up looking at timer circuitry... the hole was getting deeper. So I decided to go back to the basic setup and start experimenting.

I'm getting close to having a working setup, but I have to do some more experimenting with different capacitors and battery setups. ) I'll either be using a 9V or 4XAAA for 6 volts. Here ares some short vids. This is all REALLY basic electronics stuff, but when you've never really looked at it, setting it up can be tricky

First, the simple LED FADER test (the LED flashes and fades every time the trigger is released):

Small solenoid test with 6 volts. Power-on charges one large capacitor (green cylinder) and when the trigger is pressed, the charge is released into the electromagnet causing it to activate and release.

Large solenoid test with 9 volts. The 9V battery will not last for as many trigger clicks as four AAA, but it seems to give the capacitor a larger charge.

After testing, I'm leaning towards using the larger solenoid. It'll give a nicer heft to the gun and the inertia of it moving might give a little feeling of recoil. I just have to experiment a bit to make sure everything fits.

Some photos of test prints (updated March 26, click to enlarge):

Just testing the feel of how the parts will fit. The trigger guard was printed in one piece, which was not easy due to the shape. (Took about half a day.) The grip slotted tightly into the tguard.
assytest.jpg

I've done various recent tests on how to print the hollow barrel. The ridges create 90 degree undercuts that are very difficult to get around with a FDM (filament) printer, so I had to experiment with creating different types of support. After failing a few times, printing in halves and whatnot, I finally settled on settings that gave three "layers" (see the insert) that when pressed, "snap" the supports from the barrel, making them easy to pry off cleanly with a flat sculpting tool or screwdriver. (I admit to being a bit proud of that one.)
supports.jpg

Test print of the top rail.
rail.jpg

Test-fitting a grille plate and the rail. Looking good so far.
platesfit.jpg

More stuff coming as soon as I have done additional testing...

Attachments

• BRtest.jpg
    BRtest.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 433
  • k.JPG
    k.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 366
  • k_b.jpg
    k_b.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 426
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: BR2049: K's Gun with Screen Accurate Functionality

Larger solenoid looks like winner if it'll all fit.

It with fit just barely if the mounting ears are cut off. The main problem with it is giving it enough juice to move at all. The small one could probably activate a few thousand times between battery changes, whereas the large one maybe only a few hundred. 9V batteries have a pretty fast decline in how much of a charge they can deliver. I also need to test them under load; even if the plastic hammer weighs almost nothing, there will be a friction against the gun body as it moves.

100s of cycles wouldn’t bother me, personally. It wouldn’t help battery life at all, but casting the hammer in pewter could give the action even more oomph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

100s of cycles wouldn’t bother me, personally. It wouldn’t help battery life at all, but casting the hammer in pewter could give the action even more oomph.
It would weigh too much to move the hammer at all if it were metal. It's borderline on being able to store enough to move it at all right now. It's not just the visible piece on the top back either, but the little ridged cylinder peeking through the side as well, so the actual part that moves will be pretty large.

Small update. Test printed the grips to get an overall feel for where I am. Still lots of refining to do with the shape and they're too thick overall, but making progress. You can also see the slot for the 9V battery in the grip. I might print the grip completely hollow overall so that resin or weights can be added later to give it a lot more heft (The solenoid weighs a fair bit too.) Setting up the internal structure to take the electronics is taking some time. I'm currently working on the receiver area exterior as well, and have been tweaking it to death- perhaps too much back-and-forth in my obsession for accuracy, hence the lack of updates!

image2.jpeg

More soon though... promise!

My plan if I do one is to have the hammer magnetic and then use a rare earth magnet. The trigger would pull the hammer away from the magnet
and a sear on the trigger would let the hammer snap back to the magnet.

My plan if I do one is to have the hammer magnetic and then use a rare earth magnet. The trigger would pull the hammer away from the magnet
and a sear on the trigger would let the hammer snap back to the magnet.

That was actually how I was thinking of doing it first, but there were a few problems. The thing I didn't like was that it would make the mechanism more "revolver-like" in that you could squeeze the trigger just slightly and move the hammer/slide back and forth before it "snapped". I also looked at various other mechanical ideas... using double-weighted springs like a switchblade to make the hammer snap back and forth, and other things. There would be a lot of testing the springs vs the magnets, making sure everything moved flawlessly inside. I wanted the "immediacy" of the hammer snap-activation that you see in the real prop, with a short trigger pull so that it can shoot fast enough to do the double-tap K does in the beginning of the film.

So, after a while I said "what the hell" and decided to give the solenoid a try since it was how they did it in the movie. It was going to have a battery and LEDs anyway, so adding more electronics and going with the screen accurate method wasn't going to be a big hassle if I could just figure out what components to use (and keep the setup very simple so that others could build the kit with minimal knowledge). Now that I've solved the solenoid components, it turns out the SA solution is the easiest to implement... and probably the most mechanically durable in the long run.

Would be interested to see a completely mechanical solution though, just out of curiosity.

Trying to get the area above the grip right before I start smoothing out and adding details. Note the horizontal rod...
K_wip4.jpg

Also on my third test print of the grip. Looks like it was held in place on the screen pistol with a hex screw or grub-screw so that's what I'm going to do as well, to make the battery easily replaced. Almost there... just a couple small tweaks on that, then I can finish the slide, add the barrel-receiver connector and move on to modeling the interior to hold the solenoid and other components.

Totally in love with this gun, the more I work on it.

Was going to suggest a rechargeable LiPo battery pack and then found this 9V LiPo with built in USB charge port... https://www.banggood.com/ZNTER-S19-9V-400mAh-USB-Rechargeable-9V-Lipo-Battery-p-1070703.html

Looks like a standard 9V fitting and size, so it should fit. However, if they list it at 400mAh, I would imagine that the practical output is a lot lower, and it may be too weak. There's another one on the site rated at 800mAh that I would go for instead.

Test print of the front, still work-in-progress. Final version will have cutout barrels and a cutout for the rail. Note the barrel muzzles are not centered vertically; this is as it should be. Also, you can't see it in this photo, but the upper two "vents" have a very, very tiny "step" in them.
IMG_7551.jpg

Test print of the front, still work-in-progress.
What diameter have you gone for across the front plate? I only ask as I've made a start on my holster and there seems to be a lot of variation in the barrel shroud width (which is the important part for the holster, as it defines the size of the aluminium end plate the Safariland 1090 muzzle cups are attached to) between people's interpretations of the model. The two models I have differ by about 15% across the muzzle.

What diameter have you gone for across the front plate? I only ask as I've made a start on my holster and there seems to be a lot of variation in the barrel shroud width (which is the important part for the holster, as it defines the size of the aluminium end plate the Safariland 1090 muzzle cups are attached to) between people's interpretations of the model. The two models I have differ by about 15% across the muzzle.

Just under 37mm, something like 36.67. One printed, it'll probably be about 36.5 since the plastic does shrink a tiny bit while cooling, though nowhere near the amount that most resins do. I think I'm within a 3-5% error margin on the correct size. It's impossible to get it 100% exact without directly measuring the original of course, due to lens distortion and other optical effects, but I have a few reliable sources to gauge from. Vertically, the entire barrel assembly with both the under-rail and sight rail is just under 61.5mm.

Just under 37mm, something like 36.67. One printed, it'll probably be about 36.5 since the plastic does shrink a tiny bit while cooling, though nowhere near the amount that most resins do. I think I'm within a 3-5% error margin on the correct size. It's impossible to get it 100% exact without directly measuring the original of course, due to lens distortion and other optical effects, but I have a few reliable sources to gauge from. Vertically, the entire barrel assembly with both the under-rail and sight rail is just under 61.5mm.

Thanks. That's very similar to the larger of the two models I have, so i can discount the smaller one as an outlier. I think you are right about the real prop having the power source in the grip, as you can see a small button-head hex screw in the back of the trigger guard in the working prop Mr. Savage handled in the Tested video:
khammer.jpg
(it also shows th small details around the back of the hammer).

I think the trigger guard is screwed onto the grip from the top, and then the grip and trigger guard are removable from the receiver and barrel shroud to replace or recharge the battery by removing that screw. Presumably there is a hollow tube that runs down from the receiver into the grip/trigger guard assembly that carries the wiring and has a threaded hole that he screw locks into. It also looks like the on/off switch is in or behind the centre of one of the 'screws' on the left side of the receiver, as Mr. Harlocker inserts a jeweller's screwdriver into one of those to turn it on and off.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back